Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCATMAN

Glasses and Hockey

Hey all

just a question for the guys out there who have glasses.

Do you wear them when you play? I know contacts are the way to go but im just curious because i cant wear contacts for a few months and im still playing with glasses and a visor..

Anyone had trouble with the above combo or is the mighty cage the way to go for a lil while?

p.s. i use an oakly pro cut visor and a DX100 on a ITECH pro lid.

This isn't going to help much but I've been wearing contacts since I started playing catcher in baseball BEFORE my hockey career. Short of lasik, there isn't any better option...

BUT I've seen plenty of people play with glasses. The biggest issue is fogging of course, as long as they're staying in place and not fogging up on you it doesn't matter whether you're using a cage or a half shield, seen plenty of both. Even know a guy that plays in goal with glasses.

MissD plays with glasses and a cage with no problems. She won't consider a visor because of fogging. I'm such a Hockeymom I had her get contacts for hockey... so far she hasn't bothered to switch over.

If you are comfortable with contacts... I'd go with them; sight is much, much better with contacts than glasses.

I don't wear my glasses while I play, too foggy and uncomfortable.

I wear contacts now, but for a long time I was wearing sport goggles. Got the cheapest pair I could find with prescription lenses and just made sure to wipe anti-fog spray before each ice time. Worked pretty well. The best spray I could find I got at a diving store...supposed to be used for diving masks.

I wear mine with no problems (unless I get blind-sided or something, and in that case I've had my glasses come off when my helmet popped off). I've used half shields and currently am using an Itech combo with no issues. I really only fog during the summer when it's a bit more humid and warmer. But still even then it's slight. I do use an old pair of glasses and do smear shampoo on them like my visor.

I wear contact most of the time, but when I'm lazy to put them on (or when I forget) I have some prescription glasses with a plastic bolle frame. I use that for soccer as well, and it works well. Its not the same model that Edgar Davids wears, but you get the idea. You may want to look at his particular model, as they have vents that allow airflow (think it was an Oakley, but he also used Nike)

Anyway, I've got three of the same model bolle frames. One has prescription sunglasses, one is stock, and one pair has transition safety lenses. The transitions are the ones I use when I play, and turn to 'sunnys' when I play soccer outdoors. No fogging up issue, especially when you use them during warmups. You can get a pretty decent pair off ebay, and then take them to the optometrists to get the lens put in.

I just started using a visor and havnt had a problem yet. When i had a cage my glasses would fog up on the bench and thats about it. Id imagine ill have the same problem when im wearing the visor anyway

but if im fogging up during a game ill switch straight back

used to wear contacts when i played HS, but now i play with glasses. fog is an occasional issue, but id rather deal with that than contacts for the level i play at right now.

always worn cages btw

I wear contacts now...and before that I had a pair of those sport goggles (like Eric Dickerson used to wear).

But...before that I just wore regular glasses. I always made sure when my prescription changed, or I got new frames...my old glasses became my hockey glasses. I can't believe some guys play in the same glasses they wear day to day. I'd be too afraid that they'd either break or get bent all to shit.

I'd be too afraid that they'd either break or get bent all to shit.

Titanium frames :) Or you go and buy like $15 pair of glasses, yes the lenses included, online. I've actually started buying all my glasses online since they are dirt cheap and I'm clumsy with my glasses. I do have an expensive old pair I wear for hockey since they fit under my helmet better...but I've used these cheap ones just fine too. And oh yeah, I think titanium frames with lenses cost me only $25 online, so no worries of breakage or bending :P

And you can debate the merits of buying glasses online..but can't beat the cost and my vision is fine with them. And since I can't stand contacts this is the cheapest route to go.

MissD plays with glasses and a cage with no problems. She won't consider a visor because of fogging. I'm such a Hockeymom I had her get contacts for hockey... so far she hasn't bothered to switch over.

If you are comfortable with contacts... I'd go with them; sight is much, much better with contacts than glasses.

Tell her to swap over.......My son played with glasses till he was old enough and responsible enough for contacts. He says it made a huge difference in his peripheral vision and turning to look sharply behind you. Before when he turned his head, of course, he wasn't looking through the glasses, so he was blind.

ive seen a guy out there with glasses and no facial protection... it's just asking to get an eye cut out.

Back in the day NO ONE had any sort of shield, and I wore glasses for every game. Looking back I realize it could have been a problem, but it wasn't. I would say glasses and a half cage are the best solution, as you will get more airflow by the glasses and keep them more fog-free. There are antifog coatings you can put on them to help.

I've played with glasses on behind my cage. It's not bad, but if they move you have to pop the seal and fidget with them. They do fog as mentioned previously and I'd get sweat drops running down them when leaning in for a faceoff or something.

My vision only degenerates slightly, so I keep an old pair of my glasses in my bag to play in and put the usual ones in the case. I wear a cage instead of a visor, but I've never had any problems with fogging or anything else.

I did consider going the Al Arbour route as far as frames go.