Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

milbs06

Adam Graves to get his number retired - total suprise

i just read that adam graves is getting his number retired next year.

"In classic Brian Leetch fashion, the man who played 16 seasons in New York and helped deliver the Rangers’ first Stanley Cup championship in 54 years, chose his own ceremony to publicize the Rangers organization’s decision to honor one of his former teammates, No. 9 Adam Graves.

The stunning announcement that Graves will join Leetch, Mark Messier, Mike Richter, Ed Giacomin and Rod Gilbert in The Garden rafters next season was one of many highlights on Thursday – an evening that will live in the memory of all who were fortunate enough to see it unfold."

http://www.thehockeyherald.com/?p=296

wow thats actually unreal. but how is gravesy getting his number retired?

Much more than stats in Graves case.

One can say it opens up a can of worms for certain past #9's of the Rangers who were not recognized (Mostly because of very bad management that failed to give the past players their due, but that is another story) and with Graves average stats, but when you see and know what he does in the community and off the ice- no brainer.

"In classic Brian Leetch fashion, the man who played 16 seasons in New York and helped deliver the Rangers’ first Stanley Cup championship in 54 years, chose his own ceremony to publicize the Rangers organization’s decision to honor one of his former teammates, No. 9 Adam Graves.

The stunning announcement that Graves will join Leetch, Mark Messier, Mike Richter, Ed Giacomin and Rod Gilbert in The Garden rafters next season was one of many highlights on Thursday – an evening that will live in the memory of all who were fortunate enough to see it unfold."

He put up some great seasons as a Ranger...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2013

36G / 52G / 33G / 38G...won a Cup

I doubt the Sharks or Wings will follow suit...but as a Ranger...I'd say he deserves it.

Much more than stats in Graves case.

One can say it opens up a can of worms for certain past #9's of the Rangers who were not recognized (Mostly because of very bad management that failed to give the past players their due, but that is another story) and with Graves average stats, but when you see and know what he does in the community and off the ice- no brainer.

For reasons like that I'm a fan of the Leafs way of "honoring" players/numbers but also making them available for current players.

He put up some great seasons as a Ranger...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=2013

36G / 52G / 33G / 38G...won a Cup

I doubt the Sharks or Wings will follow suit...but as a Ranger...I'd say he deserves it.

absolutly he deserves it...

He is a rangers legend(well to the fans anyway)

Adam Graves is probably the best humanitarian to ever put on a Rangers sweater.

Off the Ice he is what every hockey player, and every person should be.

The numbers are respectable, but this one is much more than that.

That would be pretty tough to do for the wings, since Abel was #12 and is already retired, and well 9...

is there a vid of the announcement? I'd love to see his reaction

Sounds like the Rags are taking a page out of the Bruins book. When your team is dropping to a non-factor in the city, retire a player's number. Do it each year until you either run out of fan favorites or people start paying attention again.

The look on his face when Leetch made the announcement was priceless.

I concur. The guy deserves it. It is certainly more for his off-ice contributions than his play on it.

The look on his face when Leetch made the announcement was priceless.

I concur. The guy deserves it. It is certainly more for his off-ice contributions than his play on it.

He didn't have the numbers year after year, but the guy was a huge part of those teams.

Sounds like the Rags are taking a page out of the Bruins book. When your team is dropping to a non-factor in the city, retire a player's number. Do it each year until you either run out of fan favorites or people start paying attention again.

To a true fan, Graves represents everything that embodies a Ranger. To a true fan, there is no such thing as being a non-factor in the city, we will always pay attention.

A Devils fan had the audacity to question why they would even retire Leetch and then Graves. He wanted to know if Beukeboom was next. Are you kidding me??? You guys retired Ken Danyeko. Argument over. I've come to expect stupid comments like that from Devils fans.

Truth be told, I don't mind when teams retire old warriors like Danyeko. He respresented a lot to their team, but don't question such easy picks like Leetch and Graves. Graves may not have had all the offensive numbers that might be expected for a retirement, but he represented so much to our team on and off the ice. A true Ranger.

That would be pretty tough to do for the wings, since Abel was #12 and is already retired, and well 9...

is there a vid of the announcement? I'd love to see his reaction

I was just looking at other teams he played for...didn't even know what number he wore in Detroit.

To a true fan, Graves represents everything that embodies a Ranger. To a true fan, there is no such thing as being a non-factor in the city, we will always pay attention.

A Devils fan had the audacity to question why they would even retire Leetch and then Graves. He wanted to know if Beukeboom was next. Are you kidding me??? You guys retired Ken Danyeko. Argument over. I've come to expect stupid comments like that from Devils fans.

Truth be told, I don't mind when teams retire old warriors like Danyeko. He respresented a lot to their team, but don't question such easy picks like Leetch and Graves. Graves may not have had all the offensive numbers that might be expected for a retirement, but he represented so much to our team on and off the ice. A true Ranger.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't deserve it, it is always interesting when a team suddenly puts numbers in the rafters like it's going out of style.

In a three year period the Bruins retired Bourque, Neely, and O'Reilly. They all deserved it but, well, it is a ticket seller and an interest grabber.

For what it is worth, Danyeko deserved to have his number retired by the Devils.

I'm not saying the guy doesn't deserve it, it is always interesting when a team suddenly puts numbers in the rafters like it's going out of style.

In a three year period the Bruins retired Bourque, Neely, and O'Reilly. They all deserved it but, well, it is a ticket seller and an interest grabber.

For what it is worth, Danyeko deserved to have his number retired by the Devils.

Sure it helps VIA the $$ and the feel good of it, but certainly it is more than that.

Also, the last two out of three retired number nights were in playoff seasons post lockout where we have been respectable to good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q72RHBi3V4U

Nice to see classy organizations such as the Rangers honoring players like Graves. I agree however numbers should still be made available to wear to an extent. But the way players now are being "rented" to other clubs and flipped around all over the place. We might actually see a decline in numbers being retired.

Nice to see classy organizations such as the Rangers honoring players like Graves. I agree however numbers should still be made available to wear to an extent. But the way players now are being "rented" to other clubs and flipped around all over the place. We might actually see a decline in numbers being retired.

something like only hall of famers can be retired, a team can "honor" whoever they want, might be nice

Look at the Habs. I don't think any numbers are available below like 20. They all have numbers like 79, 62...high numbers like that. That can piss a player off when he's become accustomed to a jersey number. I know a lot of us on here just don't feel right when we've been wearing a particular number, and get a pre-made jersey with a completely different number on it. Just doesn't feel right.

They pay me to play, I'll wear any f'n number they give me.

Wearing "your" number is as much of the process as tying your skates a certain way, taping a stick, not skating on any of the lines, etc. It's part of the ritual. You may feel that way, but to some guys, it's a coveted thing. Look at Gomer and Drury, they had to have a coin toss to get 23, and then Bettsy had to give his 19 to Gomer. If having "your" number wasn't such a big deal, Gomer would be #96...just like me :D

They pay me to play, I'll wear any f'n number they give me.

Darryl Boyce, former UNB Varsity Red, got called up to the Leafs and played his first NHL game, played two shifts and got hurt. Regardless, he was asked about his number 50. Heres a little bit on what he said, source Canadaeast:

He's already made Leaf history. He's the only player in the long history of the Blue and White to wear number 50.

"You're designated a number at the start of the year as a prospect," he explained. "You keep the same number, I'm pretty sure, until you're a regular. I'll take number 50 and I'll wear it with pride. As long as it's got the Leaf on the front, it's a really good feeling."

While it's nice to get your number, at the end of the day, if you can't play without wearing a certain number, you can't play.

Pro Scouting Report: Plus- good shot, decent wheels, plays both ends of rink. Minus- head case, can only play if wears #96, too bad we retired that #.

Look at the Habs. I don't think any numbers are available below like 20. They all have numbers like 79, 62...high numbers like that. That can piss a player off when he's become accustomed to a jersey number. I know a lot of us on here just don't feel right when we've been wearing a particular number, and get a pre-made jersey with a completely different number on it. Just doesn't feel right.

It's not quite that complete...but close.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...ge&id=16875**

3, 6, 8, 11 & 14 are taken by current players. So, 13, 15 & 17....are open.

** - Add #23 soon...I believe it goes up Feb 23.

I'm happy to see Graves # retired. I know he's a character guy, hard working on both ends of the rink. An inspiration to players who know they'll never be Gretzky level.

It's not quite that complete...but close.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?service...ge&id=16875**

3, 6, 8, 11 & 14 are taken by current players. So, 13, 15 & 17....are open.

** - Add #23 soon...I believe it goes up Feb 23.

the bruins only have 2 numbers under 10 not retired, 1 and 6, and 6 is taken by a current player.