Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

I have a story kinda like yours usahockey22.....

Well my brother and this one dude are chasing a puck into the corner, well my brother let up and decided he'd go around behind the net cause the other guy was going the other way well at the last minute he decided to go behind the net and my brother was already close up to the boards well he just laid this dude out....all accidental after he crunched this guy he was like sorry dude i thought you were going the other way....well this guy flips out and was like what the hell and saying how my bro better watch his head next time hes out there and was like i'm gonna lay into you and all that and my brother was like dude i said i was sorry it was an accident but thats hockey sometimes that shit happens on accident.....well this dude was acting like a real hard ass and tried to check my bro next time they were out there and my brother turned to face him and was like dude i said i was sorry and it was an accident and this guy kept saying well that was hockey and acting like a hard ass still so my brother pushes him and was like well fighting is part of hockey too so how bout i beat your ass and dropped his gloves and went for this guy.....this dude was like whatever man, no i don't want to fight blah blah blah and basically pussed out and stopped acting like a hard ass when my bro confronted him.....yeah i would of been pissed to if i got crunched into the boards but right when it happened my bro apologized and said he didn't mean to do it so ya know that should of been that but some people just can't let stuff go...it was an accident and you could tell it was, its like man just let it go if he meant to do it he wouldn't of apologized ya know

Little kid threw his stick at me on the outdoor rink. I picked up his stick and whipped it into the snow, and I doubt he found it. Someone will have to explain how he lost he stick while at school

My pet peeve is shinny plus league games as well. People with full face protection cheap shotting me in the face. Hey if I didn't want to get hit in the face I would wear a cage, but it's a different story when it's intentional and your wearing a full cage yourself.

playing outdoors little kids who throw their sticks when they can't catch you really bugs me. last time someone did it i threw their stick outside the rink just to teach him a lesson. hopefully he won't try it again

That happens a lot. Actually, that's really the only annoying thing about playing with kids, they throw sticks and gloves constantly. Not like I'm fast enough to outskate them anyway...

I've never seen that happen, you are asking for me to pick up your stick and snap the blade on it if you ever throw it at me in shinny.

in my case they were little 9 yr-old who didnt feel like skating anymore and tried to knock the puck off my stick. i did it so that he won't do that and hurt someone in the future.

I was playing pickup a couple years ago, right after that video with Sean Skinner throwing his freaking glove came out. All the kids were doing it that night and finally one of them did that to me when he had me one on one. I knew it was coming and headed straight for the corner where I knew the glove was going to end up. I picked up the glove and tossed it over the boards and onto the concrete area outside the rink.

Afterwards his dad comes in the locker room looking for the asshole that threw his kids glove. Dad is all of 5-8 and 130lbs, fully clothed and I'm 6-1 and 200lbs at the time. I told him I was teaching his kid a lesson and he's lucky that I was the one who did it. Some guys would have just chopped his bare hand and broken it to teach him a lesson. Mine only cost him a minute or so off the ice instead of a trip to the hospital and several months away from hockey. One of the guys on the other side of the locker room says "He's right, I would have chopped the little fucker if he did it to me." Dad shut up and left the locker room.

Gotta love the guy that does the same move everytime. Theres this dustwagon that comes out. Guys an absoulute tool, and everytime he winds up and pretends to take a slap shot. Does it work? Hell no, like i mean this guy stays on the ice for 20 mintues at a time waiting at the red line for a pass, and by the time someone gives him a pass, he has no wheels so our D catch him at our blue line. I wouldn't mind if he was a nice guy, but hes a prick

Obviously the long shifter is the worst. A variation onthe out of position are the times when you as a forward end up a little lower then you would like backchecking. The guys on D take this to mean you are wanting to switch up, and they jump up in your forward position. Next thing you know they are deep in the offensive zone with you, and their point is uncovered. Just because I'm helping you out doesn't mean I'm switching up.

The one experience with drop in I hated the most, was when Elmira College got a new crop of prospective hockey recruites in during tryouts etc... They all showed up to drop in, no one except them touched the puck the whole time.

There was also this one guy who would always show up late, and never change etc.. He was a huge guy probably 300lbs or close to it, anyhow there were a bunch of UHL players playing that day, and I gave them a good laugh when I came across the ice and dropped the big guy ( you got to picture it as I am not very big at 5'7") Later he ended up getting me in the corner and gave me a good face wash, and popped my helmet off. The one thing I loved about the afternoon drop in ( which with a 2 year old now in the house, I cant make it) but everyone knew each other and it was all in fun, so even if someone got railed it wasnt done out of anger etc.. There was another guy who could hardly skate, and I remember as I was going up ice I got a pass which I had to look back to pull through my legs, as soon as I turned to look forward he was right there and bam I think he flew like 5 feet, it seemed to happen alot to him lol.

Casey

Gotta love the guy that does the same move everytime.

oh for sure man....i play with a guy who does the same move over and over like in the beginning he'll get the new guys that are out but after that adios man we just steal the puck and go back the other way and he is left pouting on his way back to defense...haha

My pet peeve is shinny plus league games as well. People with full face protection cheap shotting me in the face. Hey if I didn't want to get hit in the face I would wear a cage, but it's a different story when it's intentional and your wearing a full cage yourself.

agreed its these people who have no control over their stick. In fact last pick up I went to I stopped to block this guys wrist shot and his bloody blade hit me in the shoulder.. keep in mind here im over 6'6 on skates.

why do morons in cages always try to start fights? hi, you are wearing a steal frame around your face, shut the fuck up and quit acting tough

Speaking about the same move theres a guy they call Toe Drag Joe, and thats all he does everytime. He never passes either, so its easy to stop his team just wait for the drag and knock the puck off his stick and away you go. I have heard others call him Fancy Pants, but I like Toe Drag better.

casey

why do morons in cages always try to start fights? hi, you are wearing a steal frame around your face, shut the fuck up and quit acting tough

Thats a good point. Any argument i've ever gotten into at pick up has been with a guy with a cage on. And I'm not one to start something... :blink:

Guys who cannot skate and fall into you and then claim you checked them....are asses who start fights at drop in

Best Pick-up story i have involves two guys who both drive me crazy. One guy we have nicknamed no pass for obvious reasons, he doesn't really even shoot or do anything with the puck really, he just gets it and twirls around in the neutral zone with it until the other team takes it from him. The other is just a complete moron, he takes it way to seriously is always yelling at everyone about what they should be doing, slashing, hooking, tripping, even went as far as throwing someone head first into the boards from behind, luckily he hasn't shown up in probably 2 years or more so we don't have to deal with him anymore. Anyway these two are playing on the same team one week and no pass gets the puck and starts his usual twirling act that he does, and he's not even looking up when his teammates are yelling to pass it to him, finally the other idiot leaves his wing and sprint full-speed across the ice and just buries him, he then shoots the puck in the corner and stands over the other guy and screams at him to pass the f'n puck. One of the funniest thing i've ever seen at a pickup hour.

We also have another guy who every week pee's himself on the bench and never washes his equiptment, the smell is quite horrible. He has some mental problems so we try not to get to pissed at him because of them, but anfter awhile his stuff just smells so bad that we have to tell him wash it or don't come back.

Curious if anyone here just plays pickup and not league? I'm thinking of doing that since I want to up my taekwando training.

I've never played League hockey...and didn't start playing til later in life...strictly pick up groups.

Curious if anyone here just plays pickup and not league? I'm thinking of doing that since I want to up my taekwando training.

I quit playing high school and play strictly pick up now. Now im using the money to hopefully get a trainer to help me make a team here.

I don't think I've played pure pickup, in terms of the rink has an hou and people just hosw up. I've either played where a guy has the ice rented, and there's acore group of guys who come out to play, and then every once in a while some other guys come in, or a semi organized thing where you're on a team so to speak, but they don't keep score or call penalties really....

I've only played pickup/rec my whole life. During the summer it is semi-oraganizsd in the sense that there's a lot of "regulars" who all know eachother and contact one another for games.

I don't think I've played pure pickup, in terms of the rink has an hou and people just hosw up. I've either played where a guy has the ice rented, and there's acore group of guys who come out to play, and then every once in a while some other guys come in, or a semi organized thing where you're on a team so to speak, but they don't keep score or call penalties really....

The first thing you described would probably be called "stick time" in certain parts, and it's usually an hour and they charge $5-10 and random people show up. These are almost always on a weekday when I'm working and I've never been to one of these either. But your other scenarios are the "pickup" type of sessions I had in mind. A usual hour weekly and the same core dudes show up every week. I think I'll transition to these over my beer league because I don't enjoy my new league as much and I want to free up the weeknights I'd spend at league to doing other stuff.

I only just started in college. I played intramural last season, but it was $400/team for 5 games and I ended up missing two since they were midnight games before 8am exams.

So for now I'm just playing pickup. One ice rental that a buddy has 10:30-11:30 Tuesdays, usually the same 20-ish guys. Random stick-time at local township-run pond rinks. Occasional early morning student drop-in that's free but 8:30-9:30am. Just finishing up Hockey PE class. Pretty much 20 minutes of skating and passing drills, then an hour and a half of semi-organized scrimmage with the same 40 classmates.

Hopefully when I move and find a real job I can get into a beginner's league or find a good group of guys to get together weekly with.

Looking into entering a Labatt Pond Hockey tourney with a few friends next winter (4 on 4 no goalies). Probably the St. Ignace, MI event.