Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMcDonald19

poor leafs

Would a defensive-oriented transition style, à la Devils trap, work in Toronto? or would the fans and owners complain too much, e.g. Vancouver?

Many would be open to it. Burns is loved in the city for his defensive systems. The Leafs played a trap for 1 month this past season before switching off. They were the best defensive team in the league that month. Toskala went down with injuries as did McCabe, so PM switched things up and never returned to it.

Barry Melrose to the rescue!!!!

What about Pat Burns. If he has a good showing as an assistant with Canada, would he be in the running. Didn't he win the Adams 3 times?

He's been rumoured and it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I could see Acton hanging around, maybe, and they'd be utterly stupid to let McKichan go (he's Mitch Korn's protege, for god's sake), but I think in the end they're looking to make a point by clear-cutting.

From what I hear McKichan is rarely there and has done a very poor job in general with the goalies. He was a large factor in them getting Raycroft.

Most of his time is spent on scouting (prospects and opposing goalies) rather than actively flogging Vesa Toskala up and down the ice. On top of which, most of the real training is done in goalie-only sessions at the Lakeshore, since 90% of what happens in a full practice, even at the NHL level, is either pointless or actually detrimental to the goalie, and of minimal value to the goalie coach in terms of observation.

The reason he was so high on Raycroft initially was that he saw the potential for a solid goalie. The reasons for Raycroft's subsequent failures have little to do with his skillset as a goalie, and a lot more to do with his psychology.

He's also been criticised for not bringing Pogge along fast enough. Montreal got Price in this year; why not Pogge? Simply put, Justin Pogge isn't ready, physically or mentally, to turn in 9 out of 10 games in top form at the NHL level. He could certainly turn in 7 out of 10 games, but he's struggling with 8 at the AHL level. Price had the natural fortitude to play a long stretch, but he eventually wore down too.

edit: ah well, moot point in the end-- they asked Keeks to move into a non-coaching role (probably scouting and general consultancy) in the last year of his contract, so he's effectively out anyway.

Guess that means Acton is the only one left from the coaching staff.

Rumors are now they are going after Nonis as a stop-gap type measure for this season, have him run the team with Fletcher, Gilmour, Jackson et al...and then they already have a handshake agreement in place with Burke to bring him in next year, and they'll keep his buddy Nonis around as his right hand man.

So basically they are tanking this season, swabbing the decks and coming in with Burke/Nonis next season, armed with a high draft pick last year, a high pick this year, and almost certainly an even higher pick next year. Not the worst idea I've ever heard of.

Dunno who is going to coach though, but I'd love it is Burnsy came back.

Nonis built a defensive team in Vancouver, but Burke favours a more entertaining offensive style.

If Nonis is the stop-gap, would he start to build a more offensive team for Burke's arrival, or would he go with his strength and build a defensive team?

Nothing in their contracts says they can't get together for dinner and shoot the breeze about who's who and what's what... by which I mean that if this is indeed the unofficial plan, Nonis would definitely be taking Burke's 'casual advice' to heart.

Madonna's still mannish but looking decent bent-over at age 60.

Is it wrong that I wish my arms looked like that? Is it...?

*sigh!*

The Toronto Sun is the worst newspaper in North America.

It is very tabloid and trashy, but the look on Cliff's face is what made it worth posting (for me, anyways!)

It is very tabloid and trashy, but the look on Cliff's face is what made it worth posting (for me, anyways!)

He looks like Leslie Nielson in one of those Naked Gun movies.

So, where will Maurice go? TSN? Sportsnet? CBC? Lightning? Blues? Europe?

Most of his time is spent on scouting (prospects and opposing goalies) rather than actively flogging Vesa Toskala up and down the ice. On top of which, most of the real training is done in goalie-only sessions at the Lakeshore, since 90% of what happens in a full practice, even at the NHL level, is either pointless or actually detrimental to the goalie, and of minimal value to the goalie coach in terms of observation.

The reason he was so high on Raycroft initially was that he saw the potential for a solid goalie. The reasons for Raycroft's subsequent failures have little to do with his skillset as a goalie, and a lot more to do with his psychology.

He's also been criticised for not bringing Pogge along fast enough. Montreal got Price in this year; why not Pogge? Simply put, Justin Pogge isn't ready, physically or mentally, to turn in 9 out of 10 games in top form at the NHL level. He could certainly turn in 7 out of 10 games, but he's struggling with 8 at the AHL level. Price had the natural fortitude to play a long stretch, but he eventually wore down too.

edit: ah well, moot point in the end-- they asked Keeks to move into a non-coaching role (probably scouting and general consultancy) in the last year of his contract, so he's effectively out anyway.

He was removed 3 weeks ago.

My understanding was that he is rarely there, once or twice a month. A team with the funds like Toronto can easily afford a goalie coach at each practice and they have the time to scout as well. McKichan did a poor job here.

It's not about Pogge not playing in the NHL, it's about him having poor first year stats and not starting in this years playoffs, while getting little attention from the goalie coach.

He looks like Leslie Nielson in one of those Naked Gun movies.

So, where will Maurice go? TSN? Sportsnet? CBC? Lightning? Blues? Europe?

He'll get an NHL job for next year...If not, I'm sure he'll do the analyst thing...TSN always gets better guys than Sportsnet...so I'd expect him to land there.

That Tim Horton's Timbit-firing story is sure getting around, heard it on the radio yesterday now its all over the place. I feel bad for the Ducks if this is going to drag on all season, Burke has to say something eventually.

Burke already said he's going to fulfill the final year of his contract, and there may have been something about potentially maybe working toward an extention.

It would be HIGHLY questionable for him to work all year for the Ducks with basically a handshake agreement just to leave at season's end for the Leafs, but then again if you are running the Ducks I don't know why you'd make a guy work for you for a year if he really would rather be someplace else.

The Ducks have to either sign Burke or tell him to speak with the Leafs before Training Camp, or even better before free agency kicks in. I don't know if Burkes been paying attention to all the media up here but he's a smart man he'll figure something out

I heard on a local radio station today that there was speak of Gretzky coming north. I can't believe some of the bullshit the media will crap out to create an artificial buzz within the city.

I heard on a local radio station today that there was speak of Gretzky coming north. I can't believe some of the bullshit the media will crap out to create an artificial buzz within the city.

Gretz already quashed that rumor, which incedentally wasn't even a rumor, it was just something Howard Berger thought up.