Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

Some Thoughts on Skate Marketing

I have found ways outside the dissapointment of local dealers (your distributor in particluar has a legion of infamy here, much the same as Hitler.) Rest assured though, over 10 yrs in Hockey in Aus has taught me to be very resourceful.

But the L7's, Helium 10ks as well as my Sub elbow pads and girdle all failed to last and/or perform. I have nothing against Mission however, If someone was to hand me your gloves for eg, and say "Hey, try these out and let me know what you think" then I would gladly. But, I've been bitten too many times to take a chance on the product and risk the hard earned dollars.

Profits as a percentage of sales is rarely better for large companies, that was not my assertion.

#1 in profits based on total profit dollars or on percentage of sales? If it is the latter, you are sorely mistaken.

You do know that NBH is the number one company in the industry in terms of market share, revenues and profits right?

Vaughn is the "Southwest Airlines" with regards to being profitable in this industry...BAR NONE!

Deja vu! ;)

I have found ways outside the dissapointment of local dealers (your distributor in particluar has a legion of infamy here, much the same as Hitler.) Rest assured though, over 10 yrs in Hockey in Aus has taught me to be very resourceful.

But the L7's, Helium 10ks as well as my Sub elbow pads and girdle all failed to last and/or perform. I have nothing against Mission however, If someone was to hand me your gloves for eg, and say "Hey, try these out and let me know what you think" then I would gladly. But, I've been bitten too many times to take a chance on the product and risk the hard earned dollars.

I bought helium's 3 years ago online. Laced them up and the boot ripped immediately, traded them back online for tour beemers. been scared of mission since.

Profits as a percentage of sales is rarely better for large companies, that was not my assertion.

#1 in profits based on total profit dollars or on percentage of sales? If it is the latter, you are sorely mistaken.

You do know that NBH is the number one company in the industry in terms of market share, revenues and profits right?

To go one step further on Chadd's comment, for larger companies, profits as a percentage of sales tends to be worse than for smaller companies, simply because they can afford it.

To go one step further on Chadd's comment, for larger companies, profits as a percentage of sales tends to be worse than for smaller companies, simply because they can afford it.

Really? Every heard of economies of scale?

That applies up until a certain point, but does not continue infinitely.

But the L7's, Helium 10ks as well as my Sub elbow pads and girdle all failed to last and/or perform. I have nothing against Mission however

That's really surprising to hear of your experience with the L7. This is probably the only critique of this variety I've ever heard, as it relates to the L7 skate. L7's were some of the nicest made, and best performing skates made. They aren't the best in the protection category, but exceeded expectations in just about every other facet. I still use them.

But the L7's, Helium 10ks as well as my Sub elbow pads and girdle all failed to last and/or perform. I have nothing against Mission however

That's really surprising to hear of your experience with the L7. This is probably the only critique of this variety I've ever heard, as it relates to the L7 skate. L7's were some of the nicest made, and best performing skates made. They aren't the best in the protection category, but exceeded expectations in just about every other facet. I still use them.

They tend to look bad pretty quickly but the boot itself has held up pretty well for the people I know.

They tend to look bad pretty quickly but the boot itself has held up pretty well for the people I know.

AGREED!

Chadd, I will post a pic later, but I have (spray) painted black every single one of my L7 boots, masking out the Mission logo, etc., and they look MUCH better as a traditional black boot than how they do out of the box with subsequent abuse. Not only does the all black look better, it also masks the skate slices, dings, abrasions, etc., much better.

That applies up until a certain point, but does not continue infinitely.

I agree, but it's not like Bauer is producing well beyond its capacity. I don't think Bauer workers are bumping elbows as they stitch, and their machines aren't breaking down from overuse.

The point is that because NBH is pulling in so much more in sheer dollars that they can afford to spend more on R&D, advertising, etc than a smaller company who has to be more cost conscious because while their profit margins may wind up larger they have less real dollars to spend.

This thread has been an interesting read to say the least. I think the bottom line here is that marketing does indeed sell, regardless of product quality to a point. The point is reached once you have an established base of users who are no longer going off of pure marketing, but instead new marketing and previous experience. Why are Bauer and CCM the big names? They've been around the longest and have the most users out there with previous experience based on that fact.

Over marketing can be a bad thing though, as I was discussing with a LHS owner here recently. The same companies who can drive innovation and updated technologies are also the ones making sports so specialized that it's either commit to the sport or quit. With all of the new technologies we see every year, costs and in turn retail prices increase forcing more and more of a financial commitment to a singular sport.

For all the marketing and technology we get, it weeded out the casual first timers to those who are affluent and/or interested enough to invest. Why are there jr Vapor XXXX? Because they will sell on the marketing. It's not a bad product, but it is a bit excessive given the cultural paradigm of bigger,better,faster,more

Chadd, I will post a pic later, but I have (spray) painted black every single one of my L7 boots, masking out the Mission logo, etc., and they look MUCH better as a traditional black boot than how they do out of the box with subsequent abuse. Not only does the all black look better, it also masks the skate slices, dings, abrasions, etc., much better.

L7's personally (color) modified. I was never a fan of the 'gradient' color scheme that originally came on these boots.

DSC02900.jpg

Both tendon guards broke in 4 months, I skated on them 2-3 times a week. I never removed them lazily either. Always took them off via the boot and toe cap.

Incidently I traded the L7's in for XX's and have been very happy.

The point is that because NBH is pulling in so much more in sheer dollars that they can afford to spend more on R&D, advertising, etc than a smaller company who has to be more cost conscious because while their profit margins may wind up larger they have less real dollars to spend.

I totally agree with your point. I just could not help myself as I am chin deep in Business at school. We spent quite a bit of time on economies of scale a while ago so I had to say something.