Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Razr

Least Restrictive Shoulder pads?

I keep a pair of SWD 5030's in the bag. My only complaint is that I wish the shoulder caps were a bit smaller. Otherwise my favorite shoulders that were light and the least restrictive were the ol Cooper Techniflex. Super light. Good protection and great mobility. You'll probably have a hard time finding new ones but you might be able to locate a used set.

Like these?

http://www.hockeyworld.com/prodHome.ihtml?...-agex%20-shopx1

They're similar to the old techniflex (I always wanted a pair back in the day but never got them, a buddy of mine had them). I ordered these in a medium a little while back but they were wayyyy too small (medium usually fits in other brands), oh well I'll be sticking with my old Flak's until I find something else I'm really comfortable in.

Was searching the site and came across this thread...

My problem is not with the weight of the shoulder pads per se, it's the breathability. I'm wearing low-end CCM shoulder pads and find that while sitting on the bench at the end of a hard shift it feels like I'm in a sauna. I get so over-heated that it affects my energy and play, particularly at the end of the game. I'm a skinny guy and live in an ultra-dry climate to boot, but I play very hard and sweat a lot. I've played a couple of times (no check league) without the pads and know with certainty that my shoulder pads are the cause.

There's no way I'm going to sacrifice this protection for personal comfort, so I'm just enduring the over-heating and trying to stay hydrated. I'd like to know if there's any upper body protection out there that helps get the heat and sweat out. The Farrells look like they might work. Advice appreciated!

Was searching the site and came across this thread...

My problem is not with the weight of the shoulder pads per se, it's the breathability. I'm wearing low-end CCM shoulder pads and find that while sitting on the bench at the end of a hard shift it feels like I'm in a sauna. I get so over-heated that it affects my energy and play, particularly at the end of the game. I'm a skinny guy and live in an ultra-dry climate to boot, but I play very hard and sweat a lot. I've played a couple of times (no check league) without the pads and know with certainty that my shoulder pads are the cause.

There's no way I'm going to sacrifice this protection for personal comfort, so I'm just enduring the over-heating and trying to stay hydrated. I'd like to know if there's any upper body protection out there that helps get the heat and sweat out. The Farrells look like they might work. Advice appreciated!

A lot of the higher end stuff is built with a lot more breathability, have nicer wicking liners and such. And while I don't know what you're wearing now, you could try a pad with less coverage, which allows for better circulation.

Farrells might be a good option, but be warned, people here have said that they fit really large and weird.

I would say to go for something along the lines of the sherwood traditionals since you're in a no check league, or if you want a little more protection something like the pro defenders.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-bauer-hoc...efender-sr.html

Bauer classics:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/nike-bauer-hoc...classic-sr.html

Sherwood Traditionals:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/sherwood-shoul...dition5030.html

I tried a few pads before I found some breathable ones. The Sherwood 5030's are incredibly breathable and provide okay protection, fine for shinny or no contact, maybe a bit light for even no check or slapshot allowed leagues. The Vapor XXV's I'm using now are pretty breathable for being a higher end shoulder, at least the only shoulder with chest protection I can stand wearing.

Just picked up a pair of the TPS r8 shoulder pads from HG. Much cooler than my old vector 8.0 shoulders. Definitely recommend them.

http://www.hockeygiant.com/tpsspr8.html

How's the sizing/fit on those? I was trying some on The R8's and R4's at my LHS a while back when I was looking for something smaller than my current Flak pads, I couldn't find any of them that fit right. They seemed to run small (I'm a pretty skinny guy and the large seemed tight), and the bicep pads felt like they were made for a little kid even when adjusted as large and low as possible (this made me feel good b/c I have skinny arms, made me feel like my biceps were just too huge for the pads :lol: ) and yes I checked numerous times to make sure I was trying on adult ones and not kids ones. I guess they just weren't for me so I'm still actually looking for something more streamlined/smaller than the Flak but as mobile and lightweight as they are while still having some adequate protection for the front of my surgically repaied shoulder (I guess I'm looking for an anataomical cap style).

id go with the sherwoods. i use them in full contact "jr A" level hockey and take plenty of hits in them. no injurys yet and have the mobility i like

Another vote for Jofa/RBK shoulder pads. Nothing else more protective or with better fit.

I would agree. I am using the RBK 4K. However, would like something a little bit more streamline and more breathable. Farrells are just too darn expensive. The TPS shoulder pads are up there as well.