Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shooter27

New Golf Clubs Opinions?

I've never understood how a golfer could feel comfortable over a club with a topline that wide. It feels like you're trying to swing a toaster.

I agree. If the topline of the club is to wide it does something to my head. As far as cast vs forged, there is a difference. The forged has a much smaller sweet spot while the cast club is more forgiving. My brother-in-law is a PGA Tour pro, I cannot hit his irons consitantly to save my life. I would like to see the test with the pro that couldn't tell the difference. Was it the feel at impact, the swing, the controlability? The pros can feel just about everything when they swing, that is why they get thier clubs tuned to how they want them, from getting matched shafts to adjusting the lob and lie to the Nth degree.

As far as cast vs forged, there is a difference. The forged has a much smaller sweet spot while the cast club is more forgiving.

Forged vs. Cast has nothing to do with the 'sweet spot'. It's the design of the clubs that determines that, not the process used to manufacture it. There are plenty of Tour Pro's using cast irons.

ive worked at a golf retailer and i have to say hands down the most cost effective game improvement irons out there gotta be the lingering X-18's. at 499 for steel and no more than 799 for graphite they are more than reasonable for the callaway name and tech. thick topline, solid sizedsoles and only half shaft offset make them game improvement clubs but nowhere near the oversized 2 inch thick soled clubs some of the manufacturers are spitting out these days

If you have a high swing speed, dont use graphite...I need to go back to the steel shaft irons for sure.

ive worked at a golf retailer and i have to say hands down the most cost effective game improvement irons out there gotta be the lingering X-18's. at 499 for steel and no more than 799 for graphite they are more than reasonable for the callaway name and tech. thick topline, solid sizedsoles and only half shaft offset make them game improvement clubs but nowhere near the oversized 2 inch thick soled clubs some of the manufacturers are spitting out these days

If you have a high swing speed, dont use graphite...I need to go back to the steel shaft irons for sure.

I asked why the pros used steel shafts and was told it is because steel is more consistant in feel and performance.

I asked why the pros used steel shafts and was told it is because steel is more consistant in feel and performance.

I would imagine that to be the case..Plus you'd think a pro would swing better with a steel shaft as opposed to a graphite one...Different strokes for different people, but I hit much better with steel shafts, there is too much give when I use my graphite irons

I would imagine that to be the case..Plus you'd think a pro would swing better with a steel shaft as opposed to a graphite one...Different strokes for different people, but I hit much better with steel shafts, there is too much give when I use my graphite irons

steel is the shaft of choice because of its resistant to torque (especially on off center contact). if you look closely at alot of the sets coming from manufacturers such as tommy armour and adams, their 3-6 irons (or combination of hybrid/irons) will come with graphite shafts stock, but the scoring irons 7-P will have steel stock. the reasoning being that when youre using your scoring irons often times youre aiming at an area no more than 10 feet wide. but on those long par 3 or 5's when youre gunning for the green with say your 4 iron, youre just looking to hit the green and not a specific area (dont tell tiger or ernie that though) <-- hence why everything down to their 2 irons are steel. much like a hockey stick though the graphite whips so much better for use players of average swing speeds allowing a later release and added yardage.

I just hit/ordered some Titleist 690MBs. I think I'm going to be really, really happy with 'em.

I used to play the 690MBs; great club for a good player. I went to the Callaway X-Tour as I found the 690MB less

forgiving on off sweet spot hits. Great aesthetics on the 690MB though when setting up to the ball ...

I just hit/ordered some Titleist 690MBs. I think I'm going to be really, really happy with 'em.

I used to play the 690MBs; great club for a good player. I went to the Callaway X-Tour as I found the 690MB less

forgiving on off sweet spot hits. Great aesthetics on the 690MB though when setting up to the ball ...

I considered the Forged X-Tours (they were actually my favorites for awhile). Ultimately, I wanted a set of clubs that is going to force me to focus on dialing my swing on every single shot, as I have a tendency to maybe get a little lazy/sloppy/careless on two or three shots a round. The Callaways are terrific clubs, but I felt that they might facilitate/perpetuate the issue. The Titleists seem like they're definitely going to be a bit more of a challenge for me - but they'll be an unbelievable set of clubs if I learn to really focus on what I want to do each and every time I stand over the golf ball.

i hear you on the lazyness every once in a while, i was looking at the xforged as well, but honestly im too afraid to drop a grand and then have horrible results if i do miss hit something every once in a while. ive made up my mind, TaylorMade just put out a new set of irons, called the Tour Preferred and Im positive thats everything im looking for, still has the cavity back if i do get lazy, with a thin topline and thiner sole. still has toe and heel weight to get some forgivness but isnt a "toaster" and will be able to work the ball around. my only issue is i cant use them until march becasuse of my acl reconstruction and its still cold as hell here in michigan so im gonna have to wait to bust them out :(

The R7 TPs? Great clubs - one of my buddies got a set for his birthday this past spring and has since fallen head-over-heels in love with them.

Cold weather definitely sucks when you've got knee problems. When you live in climates like the ours, you kinda almost learn to get used to it, though. It's really not an option.

they dont say r7 on them anywhere.... but they look more like the r7 line then the burner line. but they are less than a week old. the stores dont even have them on display yet they are still at the warehouse.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/TM1520/T...th_Steel_Shafts

they are a bit more then the burners but i figure im 19, 6'3'' and fully grown so ill have them for a while. im looking at an expensive bill. Tour Burner TP Driver, Tour Burner T Hybrid 2i and 3 wood, the irons, an obnoxious cart/staff bag, and a 52 and 56 taylor made tp satin wedges. thanks gramps.

^^^Sweet sticks, for sure.

I'm in love with my new 690 MBs. Terrific clubs - a lot of fun to hit (strangely enough, it didn't take long before I was comfortable with them). They look awesome over the ball...and quite possibly even better in the bag. I've since bought a couple new wedges to go along with 'em - Titleist Vokey 52* gap and a Titleist Vokey 56* Spin Milled. Couldn't be more pleased. Texted my girlfriend from the course the other day: "New clubs > sex." She replied with "lol."

I think she thought I was joking. :ph34r:

hahahah either your girlfriend is like a dead fish or the clubs are that good, for your sake ill assume the later of the 2. after all the time i spent looking and researching i couldnt convince myself to try anything other than the taylormades. ive had them before and loved them, switched and hated my callaways, so im going back. as for the wedges i hear great things about the voekys but taylormades marketing got me with the different options on either y or z cut grooves, and im getting everything else taylormade so i might as well get the wedges to match. i just got a new odyssey putter but i may have to get one of the new taylormades to stay with the pattern. when someone mentioned that golf may be the sport where EVERYONE has a different prefrence i didnt think about it, but hes right. i never realized how many different options there are and how many different choices everyone has. thanks to everyone with their opinions, its helped me choose everything i needed with real expericenes instead of a sales man that doesnt know anything or is just trying to get a sale