Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mattzilla

Kimbo Slice VS Ken Shamrock

Well if you can't appreciate ANY sport, it's going to look ridiculous or not make any sense.

I'm sure there is some skill involved in curling but to me it looks like some guy sliding a rock down ice for no good reason. Do I say these guys/girls that play this sport or are fans of the sport are meatheads or rock chuckers? No, I respect the fact that they can appreciate the sport.

Ok, so if you aren't a fanboy you can't criticize the sport? I will watch any competitive activity, I'm a sport junkie, but MMA and its fans sicken me.

You can do whatever you want. BUT classifying an entire fanbase and athletes in a sport (and it's many variations) is ignorant and juvenile, just because someone is a fan of whatever, doesnt make them anything more than a fan. How is calling all fans of a sport "meatheads" any different than calling all supporters of a political party "dumbasses?" It's a choice, more than likely based on how or where they were raised... AND STILL, it's ignorance based on a personal belief that if anyone disagrees with you, they are wrong and should be talked down to and talked negatively about.

Ditto Chadd's post. And not liking it does not equal not understanding it. I understand how it works, and that it takes years of training, and that these men are skillful at what they do, and that there is more strategy involved than there is in a bar fight or something. And knowing all of that, I still find it extremely distasteful. That isn't ignorant, that's just what I've decided after taking things into account, and making my own evaluation based on what I see. I get it, I know what's happening; I don't like it.

You can do whatever you want. BUT classifying an entire fanbase and athletes in a sport (and it's many variations) is ignorant and juvenile, just because someone is a fan of whatever, doesnt make them anything more than a fan. How is calling all fans of a sport "meatheads" any different than calling all supporters of a political party "dumbasses?" It's a choice, more than likely based on how or where they were raised... AND STILL, it's ignorance based on a personal belief that if anyone disagrees with you, they are wrong and should be talked down to and talked negatively about.

Only when you try to make it sound like most of the MMA fans are all about nuance or can discuss the history of each move and how it developed. The vast majority of the fans I have seen or met only care about seeing someone get their ass kicked.I talk down about most flyer fans too. ;)

Only when you try to make it sound like most of the MMA fans are all about nuance or can discuss the history of each move and how it developed. The vast majority of the fans I have seen or met only care about seeing someone get their ass kicked.I talk down about most flyer fans too. ;)

That's the first time SOMEONE didn't classify the entire group of fans/athletes in one category. I can agree that MOST fans just want to see blood, but a lot of casual fans want to see it in football and hockey too. ...BUT most does not mean all, and that is my point.

In fact, the reason I stopped watching boxing was watching some of these guys noticeably get dumber as time goes on. Watching Ali, barely able to walk. MMA is much safer and has less long term effects. In fact, most pro football players will be worse off in their later years. Hell, nearly all baseball pitchers will do sever damage to their shoulders and elbows.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone carried out on a stretcher in MMA. I remember when it last happened in the NHL and NFL, not even a month ago for both.

That's the first time SOMEONE didn't classify the entire group of fans/athletes in one category. I can agree that MOST fans just want to see blood, but a lot of casual fans want to see it in football and hockey too. ...BUT most does not mean all, and that is my point.

In fact, the reason I stopped watching boxing was watching some of these guys noticeably get dumber as time goes on. Watching Ali, barely able to walk. MMA is much safer and has less long term effects. In fact, most pro football players will be worse off in their later years. Hell, nearly all baseball pitchers will do sever damage to their shoulders and elbows.

I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone carried out on a stretcher in MMA. I remember when it last happened in the NHL and NFL, not even a month ago for both.

MMA is a new phenomenon, as you have even said earlier, to say that there are less long term effects is asinine as nobody has been doing this long enough to know. Safer than pitching a baseball? I'm closing this crap.

It also doesn't help when the promoters try and fix the matches.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Video-Kimbo-Slic...g-Up-Blog-12487

but the promoters kinda hinted to me, and they gave me the money to stand and trade with him. They didn't want me to take him down, let's just put it that way. It was worth my while to try to stand up and punch with him."

I'll re-open this topic for people to discuss this new turn of events or the match in general, NOT to discuss the merits of the sport as a whole.

Well, Slice's first two fights were supposedly fixed. The first pro fight he had, he punched the guy twice and he tapped out. The second one Tank just stood there and didn't even kinda try to take him down. Then you add in that he lost the third one, then eventually really lost the fourth.

Elite XC =/= mma though

Even the UFC is getting shady, see: Forrest vs Rampage.

haha...that's pretty funny, if you follow the link through there is another article about the CEO of Elite XC screaming at the referee during Kimbo's fights.

It's not rocket science, Kimbo has been training for what, a year (being charitable)? Obviously he is going to get his ass handed to him by guys with decades of martial arts training. He hasn't even fought someone his own size yet. Even somone like Lesnar, who has minimal MMA skills but a lifetime of wrestling, would completely destroy him.