Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmmjags

Equipment storage

I bought a $10 wooden laundry rack from Wal-Mart and put all my stuff on that right after the game. I then spray down with a 50:50 alcohol and water mixture. It still smells a little, but not too bad. I do plan on having it professionally cleaned.

If I had to share an apartment and didn't have a place to put the stuff, I'd get one of those ShockDoctor ozone bags, then put it out on a balcony to air it out.

I bought a $10 wooden laundry rack from Wal-Mart and put all my stuff on that right after the game.

Wood can harbor a lot of nasty little bugs, make sure you replace it from time to time.

I bought a $10 wooden laundry rack from Wal-Mart and put all my stuff on that right after the game.

Wood can harbor a lot of nasty little bugs, make sure you replace it from time to time.

It comes painted so there shouldn't be any issues. Haven't seen any problems yet, been using it about two years.

It comes painted so there shouldn't be any issues. Haven't seen any problems yet, been using it about two years.

the paint should seal it, most of the cheap ones I've seen were bare wood.

I keep my stuff in my garage, which gets to be about 100 degrees in South Florida. I have a 12ft countertop in the garage and I take all my equipment out as soon as I get home from a game, and lay it out on the bench with the holes (elbows, skates, pants, helmet, etc) facing out. I put an oscillating fan on a stand ($20), and turn it on to my equipment. Give a little spray of febreeze, and let it air overnight. Pack it up in the morning, and after 8 months, I have zero smell to my equipment.

I keep all of my gear out on the Oceanfront balcony of my place. It hangs on a coat rack for the sun to dry in the early mornings at sunrise. THe sea-breeze is killing my bag's zippers though. THe salt is terrible on them. The gear hasn't had any problems though.

This is just a random far pitched idea. Around here those rent-a-garages go for somethin like $100 a month. Get a small one of those and split the cost up with your team maybe so everybody can throw their stuff in there.

This is just a random far pitched idea. Around here those rent-a-garages go for somethin like $100 a month. Get a small one of those and split the cost up with your team maybe so everybody can throw their stuff in there.

I wish that was the case here. Our team is scattered over 150kms and we play at 3 different rinks. It might be hard to get everyone to go in on the idea as nobody would have access to their equipment when they needed it. Hell, our rinks don't even have proper dressing rooms in Australia, I couldn't imagine us having proper storage facilities!

I lived in an apartment with no balcony and one closet, and I would air the equipment out on the floor in front of the window (with the window open, even in winter). I have a wooden bench with storage under it - you lift the seat and it's a big compartment. I would pack up the equipment the next day and the whole bag of equipment fit inside the bench.

I wash my equipment at least once per year though, so this helps with the stink straight off the bat. Washing used to be time consuming as I would do it by hand and have to wait for everything to dry. Now with these ozone cleaners at pro shops, it can apparently take as little as an hour. I haven't tried them yet, but might give it a go this year.

I thought that shock doctor bag was just a gimick, but I didnt think about the people that live in apartments and truly have no place to air out equipment. I guess I am lucky. If I had an apartment, I think I would look into that bag.

Im lucky that I can put a fan right on my equipment in my garage, and it is basically dry in 30 minutes or less.

Plus, I wash my equipment after every season (3 times a year) in my bathtub with oxyclean and soap with a bit of bleach

I have the shock doctor bag and it works pretty well.

I used to hang my equipment in the furnace closet in the apartment i share with my girlfriend, which worked, but you did get that musty equipment smell as you walked by. The bag would usually dry stuff off with two full runs of the blower (6-7 hours). Sometimes it would need a third run on a humid day. Then I would either open the bag and let stuff breathe, or hang it dry in the closet and shove the bag under a bed.

I don't use the bag to go to the rink, it's too big and the solid bottom makes it a pain in the ass.

I haven't had to worry for the last month, since I am not playing while I don't have a job or insurance. Hopefully that won't be much longer and I can get back on the ice.

I say the bag is ok, i am not sure it's entirely worth the investment, but if you have limited space it helps. If you start with new or very clean gear it would probably hold the sink off for a while. My gear doesn't stink (to me), but it has the sweaty smell on it and the bag won't change that.

Plus, I wash my equipment after every season (3 times a year) in my bathtub with oxyclean and soap with a bit of bleach

I know this has been posted before, but how much oxyclean, soap, and bleach do you use?

I noticed some white goo stuff on the inside of my shin pads last week and would really like to clean my pads.

I know this has been posted before, but how much oxyclean, soap, and bleach do you use?

I noticed some white goo stuff on the inside of my shin pads last week and would really like to clean my pads.

You can't use too much oxyclean.

Not quite as fancy as some...but at least I have a basement now...and don't have to cram everything into a locker, wet...

th_HockeyRoom.jpg

Rubber coated hooks from the dollar store for the skates, shoulders and pants...old towel rack that used to be in my bathroom for everything else...

You can't use too much oxyclean.

As in use it sparingly or you can't overdo it ever?

Unless you're dumping in pounds of it for a load of laundry, you can't over-do it. I usually double or triple the suggested amount when doing a load of hockey stuff.

I keep all of my gear out on the Oceanfront balcony of my place. It hangs on a coat rack for the sun to dry in the early mornings at sunrise. THe sea-breeze is killing my bag's zippers though. THe salt is terrible on them. The gear hasn't had any problems though.

I grew up in Ontario, just where the heck do you live that the Oceanfront salt air is hell on your equipment?

Florida being one giant, humid petri dish without basements, this is a problem I've had trouble with. God forbid I put off bringing my gear in right away. Nothing like stopping at the bar to catch a football game with your soaked gear baking in the sauna that passes for daily temperature and humidity down here.

My son has a pool bathroom off his room that we keep my hockey equipment and his football equipment in along with about 4 glade plugins. My wife hates hockey to begin with, this just about pushes her over the edge. It is pretty nasty. We both have the Shock Dr. bag, fan took a shit though so we don't use it any more. Wasn't to thrilled with it at the time just sort of gave the gear a baked in sort of funk to it.

I bought a plastic 4 shelf rack from Home Depot and I have it in my garage. The 4 shelf gives me enough room to put my extra equipment stored away and also dry my equipment that I use.

I've got an old metal gear rack from the Engine house my dad brought home when I was a kid. Just enough room to lay everything out...works great. I tend to Lysol my stuff once a month or so. Anytime I'm on duty the morning after a game I just air my gear out in the hose tower at work...the rest of my crew hates the smell on the app. floor, but it works.....The downside is I have found my gear messed with from time to time, including them freezing various items when I am not paying attention...makes for a fun morning skate with literally frozen pants. :D