Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I just got my FBV blades in the mail with the 1/2" equivalent on them. I'm really excited to try them out, but this weekend is an important weekend for our team so I guess I will just wait till practice on tuesday. Anyway, I was wondering if there was any way to tell if it is an FBV sharpening. When I run my finger on the blade, they seem fairly sharp, but it feels about the same as a ROH sharpening. I tried looking down the blade and I didnt really see much of a difference. Would I be able to see or feel a difference? Just wonderin...

FBV will not look as deep as a ROH sharpening, but will still be sharp. You may not be able to see the difference unless you have something to compare it to.

I compared them to my old blades and they look pretty much identical. I guess I will just have to wait and see when I use them tomorrow.

That said I was on them for the first time just today at an open skate and wow the glide on them was nuts, I just felt like I could go forever on hard ice. I was actually worried about trying to test my speed without any of my equipment on for as fast as my casual skating felt. I think 100/50 would be ideal for me because I flirt with 5/8" or 9/16" generally when sharpening my own but my only options at the shop were 90/75 and 100/75 and at the time having something that is the equiv of 1/2" to 3/8" bite just sounded like too much but I might go give it a try because I'd rather skate on something too sharp then worried about my feet flying out from me.

Well that's horribly disappointing. 90/75 felt amazing and got the whole "floating" feeling but the edges just didn't have enough bite for me to feel comfortable with (180 pounds, 6', 1/2" sharpening normally); trying out the 100/75 felt sharper, much sharper, too sharp even, I was catching my edges more than usual, enough to throw me off. I lost the floating feeling, and while I did feel that I glided better and for longer per stride, the discomfort of the harder bite just makes it a wash for me.

End result, when I feel this sharpening has gone dull, I'll be back to sharpening my own at 1/2" til I can try out the 100/50 cut. Maybe that will be the ticket but for now, FBV just isn't for me.

Is there a list of shops across North America that can sharpen FBV? It would be great is Blackstone had a dealer listing on their site to help promote their new technology. I have seen a few questions posted on this thread from players asking about specific states and cities, so I'm going to also be one of them. Is there any one sharpening FBV in Connecticut?

Thanks

tried out 100/50 last night, didn't like it. There was more bite and turns were a little easier but 90/75 had that fast glide feel that I loved.

Where did you get your skates done?

My dad's pretty handy with wood and I was telling him that I wanted to make a dust collector of some sort. I drew up something and he completely ignored it and made this LOL -

hood1.jpg

hood3.jpg

It's actually pretty cool - it snaps into the base and I can move it in and out depending on the size of the skate. Whenever I'm done sharpening I just stick the vac hose in there and clean it all up.

In case anyone in the lower mainland is curious, I found out that the hockey shop in Surrey has the FBV. It's $10 though, which is twice the cost of their regular sharpenings.

In case anyone in the lower mainland is curious, I found out that the hockey shop in Surrey has the FBV. It's $10 though, which is twice the cost of their regular sharpenings.

Well worth it if they know what they're doing. A combination of properly adjusted jig, and VERY light smooth Lube Tube /Fine Shine polishing final pass gives a perect result (at least in my case). Now doing skates for an NHLer and other pros.

A get a kick out of doing the FBV for customers now

as far as I know the price hasn't been finalized, and even the service hasn't been made officially available to all customers

$10 is way too much, and last I heard they were thinking the same way, especially considering that FBV doesn't last as long as conventional sharpening

as far as I know the price hasn't been finalized, and even the service hasn't been made officially available to all customers

$10 is way too much, and last I heard they were thinking the same way, especially considering that FBV doesn't last as long as conventional sharpening

we're still testing it out on staff and are getting a better idea of it

i don't know where you heard the price hasn't been finalized but it will be $10.

As JR said, FBV is a PREMIUM sharpening. Obviously it won't last as long as a regular sharpening, when has stuff geared more towards performance ever lasted a long time?

Obviously it won't last as long as a regular sharpening, when has stuff geared more towards performance ever lasted a long time?

I am beginning to find this NOT to be the case.

I went 4 games on one sharpening - I usually go one. I stretched it out as far as I could.

One of my former employees (hobbes_86) called me last night and told me that she's been on the one I did for her last month, 10+ on-ice hours

TBLFan, larrivee, wristshot19 in Tampa - first skates I've done on the X02 - two of them still on original sharpening and that was in January.

I've got a 15 year old (one of the best players in the state) who I did his 2 weeks ago, and I will do them any time he tells me to. He hasn't told me he's needing a sharpening.

I also have an interesting case - very good adult-league player who works at the rink and doesn't have to pay for sharpening. Skates 5 times a week, sharpens 5 times a week. Will he keep his sharpening frequency now that he doesn't get it for free?

Not to mention that all this week I spoke to other stores who offer FBV to find out what they have been hearing...

I'm willing to put it out there that it lasts just as long as a regular sharpening. Your mileage will vary based on personal preference and maintenance, just like any other sharpening.

My experience has been on both my skates and my son's skates that it lasts just as long.

We are both on the 90/75 and it has been great. The one difference I have noticed that can lead to needing a sharp a little quicker is that if there is skate to skate contact, it does seem easier to damage an edge. Funny thing is, that it isn't that I have really been able to feel it while skating, just able to see the gouge and feel like I should get it fixed.

Anyhow, I received two emails this week about new stores getting the machine, it is spreading around this area very quickly. Both emails were anouncements touting the FBV as premium service. Interestingly, while one is a LHS, the other is a hockey skills center.

we're still testing it out on staff and are getting a better idea of it

i don't know where you heard the price hasn't been finalized but it will be $10.

As JR said, FBV is a PREMIUM sharpening. Obviously it won't last as long as a regular sharpening, when has stuff geared more towards performance ever lasted a long time?

So if FBV is considered "premium" then I guess conventional sharpening will be here to stay. $10 a sharpening would probably alienate most beer-leaguer customers.

So if FBV is considered "premium" then I guess conventional sharpening will be here to stay. $10 a sharpening would probably alienate most beer-leaguer customers.

yeah - I agree... 7, maybe 8 - 10 is way overkill

re "lasting just as long" - what cut was it? would you say this across the board or only for 90/75 & 100/75?

like I said before 9/16 used to last me over 15 hrs on ice

100/50 lasted maybe 5 - quite a bit of a difference!

100/75 seems to be holidng up better, but it's too deep so I don't like it

when has stuff geared more towards performance ever lasted a long time?

well - would you call One95 skates performance? they seem to be holding up quite well

Definitely sold on the FBV sharpening. I haven't noticed the glide as much as the extra bite. Went with the 100/75 and could really rip ruts in the ice with out getting any chattering or slipping. Also, I almost felt more stable on the ice, but it might just be the extra trips to the gym finally catching up. I am around 200# but am using 296mm steel at an 11' radius. I used to always go with the 1/2" hollow because anything smaller and I would catch edges particularly on transitions. I would have to get them sharpened every 4 or 5 skates, so I am hoping to get more from the FBV. They did charge a premium and it was an extra 20 min drive so I don't know if I will stay with it.

Speaking as a beer-leaguer, I know a few on my team that would go out of their way for it, but if I posted on the "league" forum a bunch would follow. No use in feeding the competition.

yeah - I agree... 7, maybe 8 - 10 is way overkill

re "lasting just as long" - what cut was it? would you say this across the board or only for 90/75 & 100/75?

like I said before 9/16 used to last me over 15 hrs on ice

100/50 lasted maybe 5 - quite a bit of a difference!

100/75 seems to be holidng up better, but it's too deep so I don't like it

when has stuff geared more towards performance ever lasted a long time?

well - would you call One95 skates performance? they seem to be holding up quite well

Don't get me wrong I'm going to give it a shot because of the hype but I still can't justify the $10 price tag when the equipment and method used is almost the exact same (minus the spinner) as a conventional sharpener. IMO, If FBV is to truly replace convetional sharpening then service be available at the same price and not being charged as a premium sharpening. I would think that more people would be more open to trying it out.

Edited by Andoy

Andoy - your theory is flawed -

A premium OPS can made the same way as a lower-price point OPS. Should they be the same price? No. The manufacturer invests more into that product.

When a Spinner disc costs 4 times the cost of a standard quill diamond tip, shouldn't the store charge more to recoup their costs? And once again, buying a new machine? Sharpening machines take a long time to turn a profit.

...And stop complaining, a standard sharpening in Tampa is $10 in 3 different shops.

BTW. I am on my second set of steel since Bouce sharpened my skates. I'm finding the effects of FBV fade over time but they hold their edges as well or better than a standard sharpening(90/75).

My experience has been on both my skates and my son's skates that it lasts just as long.

We are both on the 90/75 and it has been great. The one difference I have noticed that can lead to needing a sharp a little quicker is that if there is skate to skate contact, it does seem easier to damage an edge. Funny thing is, that it isn't that I have really been able to feel it while skating, just able to see the gouge and feel like I should get it fixed.

Anyhow, I received two emails this week about new stores getting the machine, it is spreading around this area very quickly. Both emails were anouncements touting the FBV as premium service. Interestingly, while one is a LHS, the other is a hockey skills center.

I love how some people learn and try and learn more about a new system.....(FBV) bring it in to their stores use it and then ooops all of a sudden a whole bunch of stores in the GTA with (High End Sharpeners) go and buy the machine when some of us have had it for almost a year......but because of who we are we dont have a clue....?????

And all this time the above High End Guys dished it off as a fad.... "it will never last" "I can do the same thing on my machine" and about 100 other lines.....of BS.

We will see who has the last laugh....LOL

Andoy - your theory is flawed -

A premium OPS can made the same way as a lower-price point OPS. Should they be the same price? No. The manufacturer invests more into that product.

When a Spinner disc costs 4 times the cost of a standard quill diamond tip, shouldn't the store charge more to recoup their costs? And once again, buying a new machine? Sharpening machines take a long time to turn a profit.

My bad. I didn't take into account about the price of the spinner disc.

The price of the spinners really has to be figured in, in addition to machine costs which is about 25% higher than a regular machine. You have to get 5 spinners at $85 ea ($425 total plus shipping) to offer the current 5 different FBV's. This is vs 1 diamond at $20 total which can do any hollow. In addition, going back and forth between 100/75 and 90/50, etc, really burns thru the wheels, twice as fast as a conventional dressing. Changing the spinners also takes about twice as long as a regular dressing. So while the mechanical sharpening process may be the same, time and operating costs are more so a premium price is certainly warranted. Other intangibles like having to take 10 minutes to explain and answer questions what a FBV is to interested customers also have to be considered.

As for how long a sharpening lasts, I've found that earlier in the year the longevity of the edges was excellent, even longer than a regular. However as the winter came and rink floors were filled with rocks, dirt and sand (from road sanding brought in on shoes), the longevity of the FBV decreased. Those in the south and west who don't have a snow season, don't have to worry. Those of us in snow areas with rinks that do not clean their floors, will find reduced life of edges. I was playing at a rink that had been open for 4 hrs and the locker room had so much crap on the floor I could hear my skates crunching on it. Even worse after I tied my skates, I could feel the crap on the bottom of my sock. Really that bad. You can always wear the hard rubber guards until you step on the ice to prevent damage, but in reality who's going to do that.

I had the hockey director at my local rink "not like it." Why? He laced up in his office, which is basically office carpet (concrete) under it, then walked through said office, onto the rubber mat, to the rink. You know something happened there.

However as the winter came and rink floors were filled with rocks, dirt and sand (from road sanding brought in on shoes), the longevity of the FBV decreased. Those in the south and west who don't have a snow season, don't have to worry.

Haha whatcha talking about, we have sand all year long! You know, because we all go to the beach daily...