Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Thanks.

With regard to the weight differential, I would assum that for either machine, the motor is responsible for most of the weight. A more powerful motor will weigh more to begin with, and also a machine with a more powerful motor will NEED to weigh more in order to maintain stability during operation.

Edited by McDugan

Here my dust collection set up. Used 2" schedule 40 pvc. My hose on vac is 2 1/2 " and fits snugly inside the 2" tee. Also used an end cap and drilled 3/4 in hole and fit nicely over wheel exhaust port. Then used 4" to 2" reducer and a short piece of pipe to fab a leg support, will contour to match the tee and glue it on. Very happy with my XO-2 and 95/75 spinner.

IMAG0214_zps1a75e7ab.jpg

IMAG0213_zps0ad599c3.jpg

IMAG0212_zps8c2e31e1.jpg

IMAG0211_zpsfab6ce38.jpg

IMAG0210_zps5a98eca4.jpg

Edited by mkf350

I was looking at the Blackstone web site and I noticed they are talking about a new "revolving" spinner system. What is the difference between the original spinner and this new one?

I was looking at the Blackstone web site and I noticed they are talking about a new "revolving" spinner system. What is the difference between the original spinner and this new one?

The "revolver" holds several spinners and mounts on the larger machines. Rather than have to remove one spinner and install another, you just turn the "revolver" and load the one you want. If you are doing a high volume of sharpening, it makes it much easier to change spinners. The time savings are well worth it for high volume shops. They also prevent you from losing track of your spinners.

The travel cases that Blackstone offers for the X-series portables appear to fall well short (in both quality and price) of those offered for their professional portables; simply put, they look like plastic typewriter cases, don't have wheels, pull out handles, etc. Has anyone found any better cases for the X-series in the same $200-$300. price range?

Also wondering what the skate size "range" is for the Youth and Adult holders and if there is any difference between the X-12 & U-12 Trie-Lie holders other than perhaps the height since the grinding wheel may be at a different height on teh pro portables.

Hey guys

Been skating for most of my time on pretty sharp ROH.

Then was offered to try FBV and did not want to use my current LSfusion blade and got StepSteel done in 90/75.

My profile is always factory. Never had anything profiled. I am about 175lb.

Came out on FBV and StepSteel for first time. Did not have to really get used to it, but notice much better glide, edges however did not feel that sharp.

Now, skated 4 more times and I notice that I do not have same edge control and balance as I used to on sharper blade on ROH. I at the same time like the glide, but now concerned that this extra glide is putting me off balance. Like I can't grab the ice and shoot out a half pivot or per say make a turn and then just exist out of it by pushing off hard. I feel like I will loose the edge.

I noticed StepSteel has way more steel on the hill, many reported that around the forum. Could this also be messing up my balance I was used to? Steel is also higher than regular blades.

I plan on trying sharper FBV. But now before I got new machine I even think maybe switch back to ROH...

Have you been having similar issues? What's your experience.

Thanks

Can't comment on FBV but the profile is different between LS and Step. LS is neutral and 9ft radius, Step is forward and 10ft. Could be a variable that could be causing part of the trouble you're experiencing? That said, give it some time to adjust before making any long term changes.

90/75 doesn't have much bite. Try a 100/50 and I think you'll be pleasently surprised, especially since you say you've been skating on "pretty sharp hollow".

What is your ROH size currently?

I started learning to skate from 3/8 ;) Now years later when I started playing more often and got my machine I ended up skating on 3/4 to 9/16.

I was also advised here to 100/50, but a for example Chadd told me that many people he knows did not like a switch from 90/75 to 100/50 and instead liked 95/70..

Who knows I just hope I wont go bankrupt buying spinners form black stone ;)))

Can't comment on FBV but the profile is different between LS and Step. LS is neutral and 9ft radius, Step is forward and 10ft. Could be a variable that could be causing part of the trouble you're experiencing? That said, give it some time to adjust before making any long term changes.

Ahh, I did not know that. I always was skating on LS (X60) and then moved to LSfusion (APX skate) and had skates sharpened on like 3/4 and first time I tried (was big improvement) was awesome for cornering and jumping out of a corner. My x90 was 272 and AXP came in 280 (same size skate) I felt more blade right away! With sharp hollow it was great to feel stable, but I could not glide well!! Then i dialed down my LSfusion to more shallow hollow and after awhile jumped on FBV 90/75 + Step steel.

Im thinking would it be actually better to have even more blade to the ice w/o having to profile anything if Step is 10ft vs my LSfusion being 9ft?

Edited by RussianPlayer

90/75 doesn't have much bite. Try a 100/50 and I think you'll be pleasently surprised, especially since you say you've been skating on "pretty sharp hollow".

Most of my guys that were on 1/2" thought 100/50 didn't have much bite, almost every one of them prefers 95/75

The travel cases that Blackstone offers for the X-series portables appear to fall well short (in both quality and price) of those offered for their professional portables; simply put, they look like plastic typewriter cases, don't have wheels, pull out handles, etc. Has anyone found any better cases for the X-series in the same $200-$300. price range?

Also wondering what the skate size "range" is for the Youth and Adult holders and if there is any difference between the X-12 & U-12 Trie-Lie holders other than perhaps the height since the grinding wheel may be at a different height on teh pro portables.

Some of the companies that make road cases for touring musicians make boxes that would hold an X series. Catch a used one on CL or eBay and you could probably find a deal.

I actually thought that LSfusion blade is bit more forward and Step is more neutrual. Correct me if I am wrong..

I been skating on FBV for couple of months now along with Step. I think I lost some agility.. Also, I need to step down from 90/75 as i would like bit less bite so I can glide my foot better without having to try hard.

Hi, ive seen that some guys prefer the Ruby wheels for their X Series..........what are the advantages of going Ruby over the orange wheels?

I have a ruby and orange wheel, but I've only used the ruby, so I'm not speaking from experience. I think the ruby gives a cooler sharpening and a better finish. Both colors are aggressive, but I would assume that the orange is a little more aggressive.

cool............also...i absolutely love my 100/50, everything is fantastic....but i wouldnt mind trying another set of spinner just for the sake of it....i could handle even more bite as im a very aggressive skater... how many options do i have if i want to go beyond 100/50 in terms of bite? i believe 95/75 is the next step....and then 100/75 is the final destination in terms of bite.. correct me if im wrong.

anyone tried those last 2 spinners? any thoughts?

We use the Blackstone FBV as an option at our pro shop. Being I've always used traditional ROH either 1/2 or 7/16, the only thing close I liked in the FBV was 100/75. Nothing felt like it had the same bite, but it definitely felt good when skating, especially tight turns. It felt the sharpening did not last as long as ROH, and just didnt seem worth the switch. I also didnt like the feeling of when youre standing waiting for a faceoff, it feels like you have no edge at times.

It definitely takes wayyyy less time to sharpen any FBV, which is nice as someone that sharpens hundreds of pairs a year, haha.

I don't know if it's just me, but FBV seems to grab as much as I need for whatever I'm doing. It grabs more on tight turns, and less when I don't need as much bite.

I am a FBV convert as well. I agree that the glide seems better, although it took a few skates to get over the feeling that I had no edge when going in a straight line.