Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruin88

skating question

instead of doing crossovers when im going around people i tend to push with my back foot then sharp turn around them and all the parents and coaches tell me to do crossovers and they act like what i do is a bad thing....is it? it works great for me....its like my signature move to get around people :P

if your getting around them, who cares. Implementing crossovers will just add another move to your arsenal. Also, rule number 1, never listen to parents.

instead of doing crossovers when im going around people i tend to push with my back foot then sharp turn around them and all the parents and coaches tell me to do crossovers and they act like what i do is a bad thing....is it? it works great for me....its like my signature move to get around people :P

Crossovers will give you more speed to get around the corner than just pushing with the back foot. You should give it a try.

I find that doing baby-steps during my crossovers helps keep my speed up. I noticed a lot of pros doing it and it actually benefitted me.

taking really small steps in your crossover. it can help you accelerate but you hafta do them quickly

The most important thing IMO in crossovers, is the crsossunder push with your back foot, that gives you a boost.

Absolutely right Edge. Check out "Powerskating" Laura Stamm. It helped me a lot, there is quite a lot of discussion and tips for crossovers and turns.

I find that doing baby-steps during my crossovers helps keep my speed up. I noticed a lot of pros doing it and it actually benefitted me.

I notice some bigger guys do this. See Lindros do it all the time. Not only that, but he uses his stick to gain momentum as well.

It seems to work for Lindros and others but I don't think it's the proper technic. Look at smooth skater like Niedermayer, he never makes that. He makes long accurate smooth strides.

But yeah some guys like Lindros are pretty good doing that.

An accomplished skater will have all three elements described in here....

The first poster is describing what may in fact be a "power turn", where you drive off with your trailing leg, and with the front knee bent at about 90 degrees, you make a sharp cut away from the trailing leg. This is usually done while already skating at high speed..not acccelerating.

The "quick step" short crossovers are used for close quarters or to accelerate while making a rapid directional change . The long crossovers with the powerfull "underpush" are used to gain maximum acceleration where space permits, while also changing direction, but the arc of your turn will be larger.

All three elements are fundamental to good skating technique.

baby steps? :huh:

Best visual example I can come up with is in the movie "Youngblood". If you happen to have the movie lying around somewhere, pop it in and cue up the part where he is chasing the girl (Jessie?) around the ice at the Open Skate. As he is going through one of the turns and cutting around people, they do a close-up on his skates. He's taking "baby steps". They help to keep your speed up while making tight cuts and help you accelerate after losing speed. I know this is a corney example, but it is the best thing I can come up with right now. Hopefully, you have the movie so you can see what I am talking about.

All of those are good examples, Lindros is probably the prime example in my mind as he always does it. They're short, choppy strides; essentially a shortened crossover. It's not always a benefit but I find it helps me add more speed than a standard crossover in many situations, like walking out of the corner with the puck and holding as much speed as possible. You don't want to use it if you are being covered closely as it's much easier to be knocked off the puck.

You don't want to use it if you are being covered closely as it's much easier to be knocked off the puck.

Because you are in a more up-right position, correct?

Mostly, yes. I find myself having much less contact with the ice during the move. There are times where neither skate is in contact with the ice and that makes it very easy to be knocked off balance.