Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

9 Minute Power Play

A kid in the Washington game threw a monster, clean, open ice hit on Lombardi and Rene Bourque jumps in to defend the teammate.

Bourque got 5 (fighting) + 2 (Instigator) + 2 (unsportsmanlike) +10 misconduct...and the PP went up on the board as a 9:00 PP.

I've never seen that before...At the very most...I would've figured the 2's get served together and get added to the 5...total =7...I've never seen a 9 minute power play before.

Anyone else seen/had weird powerplays like that?

I saw a weird one in the Colorado/LA game last night. Colorado is on the power play, an LA player skates the puck up on a rush, and two Colorado skaters hook/hold him at separate times. Both penalties called, LA goes from a penalty kill to a powerplay in one play.

Well, the other guy gets 5 for fighting as well so it's essentially a 4 min power play.

Not if the other guy doesn't fight back.

Well, the other guy gets 5 for fighting as well so it's essentially a 4 min power play.

That's the other weird thing....there was no second 5Min for fighting. Bourque jumped the guy who threw the hit....threw a few punches...got called himself.

That's the other weird thing....there was no second 5Min for fighting. Bourque jumped the guy who threw the hit....threw a few punches...got called himself.

Don't see that called often enough.

Exactly, why I assumed they called the other guy.

Wow...crazy. Did they score?

*L* NO! How do you put Ovechkin, Semin, Fedorov and Green on the ice against a goalie who has looked like swiss cheese so far this year and NOT score.

Back in the 90's I was at a Kings-'Nucks game in LA and Robitaille got three minor penalties against Geoff Courtnall on one shift - a high stick, a rough and an interference call. And it all happened in the first 2 minutes of play.

I understand Bourque jumping too, but Sloan was already on his backfoot, so couldn't fight back.

The refs completly screwed the game though after that, they called 8 straight penalties on the caps in make-up calls.

I'm not saying that to defend the caps, they played like crap tonight and didn't deserve to win, but even calgary fans will admit, the refs were shite tonight, they sucked all the flow out of what could have been a pretty good game.

The 9 minute penalty, caps should have scored a couple, but it also should have been 2 for unsportsmanlike, and 2 for roughing, not 5 for fighting too. I think they threw that in because he got a couple of digs in when sloan was already down.

But a pretty poor game from both teams i think, thanks to the refs

I'm not sure it was a matter of Sloan being caught off-balance as much as him being attacked a bit off-guard...and maybe a bit prematurely. If it had been a dirty hit, Bourque would have had every right to move in and slap Sloan around without giving him even a chance to drop his gloves; but the hit was beautiful and clean - Bourque has to be a little more calculated, challenge Sloan instead of going after him and popping him even after the guy turtled. Get him up against the glass and give him a little facewash or chop at his feet a bit...shake your gloves...let him know you wanna make him pay for taking a run at Langkow. If he wants to go, there is a message sent by both sides, and maybe the game gets a little more interesting. If not, he (Sloan) skates away with a bit less swagger than he could have had after a hit like that and, more importantly, the Caps know that, if they want to throw a hit, they're going to have to deal with someone wearing red after the fact.

I'm not sure it was a matter of Sloan being caught off-balance as much as him being attacked a bit off-guard...and maybe a bit prematurely. If it had been a dirty hit, Bourque would have had every right to move in and slap Sloan around without giving him even a chance to drop his gloves; but the hit was beautiful and clean - Bourque has to be a little more calculated, challenge Sloan instead of going after him and popping him even after the guy turtled. Get him up against the glass and give him a little facewash or chop at his feet a bit...shake your gloves...let him know you wanna make him pay for taking a run at Langkow. If he wants to go, there is a message sent by both sides, and maybe the game gets a little more interesting. If not, he (Sloan) skates away with a bit less swagger than he could have had after a hit like that and, more importantly, the Caps know that, if they want to throw a hit, they're going to have to deal with someone wearing red after the fact.

Hey, he was just sticking up for his guy. I have no problem with that. Doubly so as he is a guy that plays a regular shift and isn't just on the roster to fight.

Sticking-up for your guy is one thing. Pommeling a guy who just threw a squeaky-clean hit without giving him a chance to protect himself is another - especially when it puts your team a man-down for such an extended period of time. I can't say I really blame Bourque for doing what he did, and it's not like I lost any respect for him...but I do think there was a better way to handle the situation.