Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

Youngsters in beer league?

i help out a 2nd league team, in switzerland it goes: A league (pros) > B league (pros, like AHL, bit faster) > 1st league (ECHL) > Second league (competitive beer league) etc..

usually, only when there arent enough guys on there team, there are four guys off my team that help, nobody seems to mind, as we are the ones that usually do most of the skating.. as long as I pass the puck, and keep my shifts short, nobody seems to mind. other teams do the same thing. essentially, I do it just to get more ice.

I'm a 14 year old and all summer long i played 18+ shinny in the morning ,most guy figured i was 16 and didn't take it easy for me ( didn't have to i play AAA) Even wore a visor for the last part of the summer... No one minded it and one of the Veterans ask me to join his beer league team. No promblems what so ever

our beer league is for 18+. Having anyone younger than that is a liability waiting to happen. We had open hockey that everyone (who was skilled enough) was aloud to play in. It got to the point where the kids 14-17 started to take it over. Alot of the kids haven't learned "propper etiquette" and ruined it for them. Now they have an open hockey for 18+ only. If there isn't enough people and no one objects then they'll let the younger guys join

That might be true, but not many of them are hockey players (more likely malnourished and non-exercising hipsters and long distance runners). I doubt there is a college roster that actually lists a player under 150. I am sure there are some, but I don’t want every 140 pound twenty year old posting in response.

There are alot of guys 18+ that are under 150lbs

This has nothing at all to do with skill, weight, drinking, etc. Liability is the issue here. Adult leagues are for 18+ period. It is a legal nightmare waiting to happen to allow minors to play in an adult leage, regardless of any type of parental consent. It is pretty cut and dry.

+1 on the liability issue. Last thing anybody needs is a lawsuit from some dad because lil' junior got acquainted with the playing surface on account of some 230 pound dude playing like a big boy.

Also, it seems to me that the under 18 crowd has plenty of leagues to play in between all the travel levels and house levels -- and that's in Arizona. I'm sure up north, there's even more opportunity.

Regardless of age, I think the weight minimum should be 150 pounds to play with full grown men.

There's too much risk for serious injury if a 210 guy who can skate collides with a 120 lb kid--it's simple physics.

That might be true, but not many of them are hockey players (more likely malnourished and non-exercising hipsters and long distance runners). I doubt there is a college roster that actually lists a player under 150. I am sure there are some, but I don’t want every 140 pound twenty year old posting in response.

as a 130 lb adult, who happens to be a hockey player AND physicist, I'm going to chime in. Your idea is fucking stupid.

Running a pvt skate for 2 15 year olds one evening, we come off and beer league teams captain from other pad is short players for a game starting. Lots of yapping about calibre from both teams, kids can do their best to keep up. Second shift we get sent out together...3 quick goals and they've seen enough. Be sure one of kids your playing with isn't first pick in OHL draft.

Regardless of age, I think the weight minimum should be 150 pounds to play with full grown men.

There's too much risk for serious injury if a 210 guy who can skate collides with a 120 lb kid--it's simple physics.

That might be true, but not many of them are hockey players (more likely malnourished and non-exercising hipsters and long distance runners). I doubt there is a college roster that actually lists a player under 150. I am sure there are some, but I don't want every 140 pound twenty year old posting in response.

as a 130 lb adult, who happens to be a hockey player AND physicist, I'm going to chime in. Your idea is fucking stupid.

Adult might be pushing it a bit. :P

I agree about the weight to a certain degree. Being a fatass and playing with women (not many under 18 at college) I have accidentally sent them to the ice a few times. I claim the Chara/St.Louis situation, I can't help it!

Open hockey or a league that's more for fun and excercise I would think no problem having teens, women, less experienced players, etc. For competitive league especially with checking, 18+ all the way.

Most of us here (not all by any means) but I think the majority of us play in the US, right? If you are playing in a USA Hockey sanctioned league, I'm pretty sure you HAVE to be 18 plus. -I'd think anywhere that you play there'd be some sort of regulation.

Aside from skill, and weight, of course there's liability.

But beyond that, there's a total different mindset, one that most under 18 won't understand. There's a certain level of comraderie and sportsmanship that exists once you've hung up the idea of "making" it, and you're just out for fun. A perfect example is when the goalie covers the puck, but the whistle hasn't blown. Per the rules, even in Beer league, it's still a live puck. An adult knows that you don't start hacking away. A kid doesn't. Of course they'll post up here saying how they wouldn't, but trust me, scoring is still the most important thing to a kid. How many times have you adults heard the phrase, "we all gotta get up and work tomorrow"? I mean think about it, if you're a 15 year old, talented hockey player, your goals SHOULD BE to win, score, and never quit. As a beer leaguer, your goals should be, who brought beer, don't get myself or anyone else hurt, and maybe, if possible, let's try and win. I think it's just as much about mindset as it is anything else. :P

Most of us here (not all by any means) but I think the majority of us play in the US, right? If you are playing in a USA Hockey sanctioned league, I'm pretty sure you HAVE to be 18 plus. -I'd think anywhere that you play there'd be some sort of regulation.

Aside from skill, and weight, of course there's liability.

But beyond that, there's a total different mindset, one that most under 18 won't understand. There's a certain level of comraderie and sportsmanship that exists once you've hung up the idea of "making" it, and you're just out for fun. A perfect example is when the goalie covers the puck, but the whistle hasn't blown. Per the rules, even in Beer league, it's still a live puck. An adult knows that you don't start hacking away. A kid doesn't. Of course they'll post up here saying how they wouldn't, but trust me, scoring is still the most important thing to a kid. How many times have you adults heard the phrase, "we all gotta get up and work tomorrow"? I mean think about it, if you're a 15 year old, talented hockey player, your goals SHOULD BE to win, score, and never quit. As a beer leaguer, your goals should be, who brought beer, don't get myself or anyone else hurt, and maybe, if possible, let's try and win. I think it's just as much about mindset as it is anything else. :P

I've never played in a league like the one you describe. There are guys that think being an agitator in a beer league is an important part of the game. Oh, and you can't make a play on the puck once it is covered, whistle or not.

I've never played in a league like the one you describe. There are guys that think being an agitator in a beer league is an important part of the game. Oh, and you can't make a play on the puck once it is covered, whistle or not.

Agreed. Most of the sticks I've seen broken are from people going lumberjack, and there are way too many run-and-gun guys who didn't get the message at the end of Slapshot and think you play more with your elbows than your stick.

Most of the checks I've delivered are to people hacking a poking at the goalie, which is also why most don't get called in no-check. Old guys are sometimes the worst offenders, too.

Agreed. Most of the sticks I've seen broken are from people going lumberjack, and there are way too many run-and-gun guys who didn't get the message at the end of Slapshot and think you play more with your elbows than your stick.

Most of the checks I've delivered are to people hacking a poking at the goalie, which is also why most don't get called in no-check. Old guys are sometimes the worst offenders, too.

There just way too many Flyers fans around here. They think beer league hockey should be something like the broad street bullies heyday

I always wonder if the no-check rec league goons go home and tell their wives about how bad ass they are.

"You shoulda seen me honey, I chopped this fat bastard in the foot, and then gave him an elbow when he went by me. Then this kid tried to out skate me, so I hooked his ass down into the boards. I looked like Marty goddamn McSorley out there, baby."

"That's nice Phil. Take the garbage out."

I dont really have a problem with kids at least 16 playing in adult league. I started playing adult league roller hockey when i was 16 or 17 because the tournament series TORHS allowed it.

Ditto for this. It was one of the first shocks I got as an adult learning to play: how others in the same boat are more interested in "grinding it out" than figuring out how to skate, stickhandle, and pass.

there will always be goons in the beer league. the league i play in is 18+. this one meat sauce on my team jumped some 19 guy. two punches and broke the kids visor... all her got was a one game suspension. I would be concidered a beer league youngers myself. from my stand point it gets alittle frustrating when you being carved up all the time. there are a few 35 year olds in my league who think there job is to swing their stick like they are lumber jacks.

there will always be goons in the beer league. the league i play in is 18+. this one meat sauce on my team jumped some 19 guy. two punches and broke the kids visor... all her got was a one game suspension. I would be concidered a beer league youngers myself. from my stand point it gets alittle frustrating when you being carved up all the time. there are a few 35 year olds in my league who think there job is to swing their stick like they are lumber jacks.

I deal with those guys a lot, too. Young and old guys that are all about stickwork and trying to start stuff. There are these young guys in one of my leagues that are always starting stuff with smaller guys and getting ejected. I have seen one of them get tossed 4 times so far in 8 games, and the league does nothing.

I started playing pick up with adults at about the same age, at the time you don't think much of it because you match the skill and speed but you are much smaller. It was pretty quick before guys knew not to be "worried" about me, and now that I'm 21, I sometimes don't like it when younger kids play, especially when the kid is too small. I played with youngun's not too long ago, one was about 11 or 12 and didnt have much skill at all, could barely shoot the puck, no one would play him seriously sorta thing which I hate as well. The other was about 13 and was quick and had skill but sat at the blueline, never skated back and never came off the ice...the blueline and the no skating back are a huge pet peeve of mine, and even tho old guys tell ya to stay on all game i always played equal ice time. So to try and sum it up, if the kid is a regular and knows the guys and it's a mutual agreement everyone is ok with it, I see no problem with it, but sometimes there is no place for kids to be out there.

yea there is alot of hero out there in beer league land. i was in a league last year where i slashed across the chest twice in one shift. then one of the guys who slashed me started mouthing being be didnt think it was a penalty. and of course since he got called for it, its my fault and im a "bitch". so whatever. he was a dman. so later on in the game my team had a 5-3 and he wanted to take the faceoff against me. the guy who played center was like no man, go back on D. he bitched and ended up taking the faceoff against me. right away i knew this isnt good. puck hits the ice, he slashes me. i win the draw forward. he then reaches back to like pitch-fork my stick to the roof, and knocks my stick up into his own face. so of course i head to the box thinking two minutes for high sticking. he bitched, they gave me a 5 min major, and booted me from the league. i got an email from the league, saying they are reviewing the penalty. so this guy replys to the same email saying how i am such a fucking loser, and people want to hurt me. and he will end up getting back at me too.. so i played 7 games and they gave me back all my money

OK, sometimes in amateur hockey, with amateur refs, the puck may be visible and loose, but not accesible without whackin' away potentially hurting the goalie.

OK, let me simplify for those that missed my point. In the pros, you get paid money, and it's a job to win. Beer league you DON'T get paid, and it's at least for the most part for fun. I think adults in beer league understand this a lot more than a kid who still may potentially reach a pro, or at least highly competitive level.

OK, sometimes in amateur hockey, with amateur refs, the puck may be visible and loose, but not accesible without whackin' away potentially hurting the goalie.

OK, let me simplify for those that missed my point. In the pros, you get paid money, and it's a job to win. Beer league you DON'T get paid, and it's at least for the most part for fun. I think adults in beer league understand this a lot more than a kid who still may potentially reach a pro, or at least highly competitive level.

No, there are enough old guys that treat it like the 7th game in OT of the cup finals.

I've played a game in which the reply to being asked "what the fuck was that for?" after being cross checked from behind was "what? I'm just playing hockey". The guy was probably 35-40. The only times I go home with bruises from sticks is when I play with older guys that hook in the elbows and whack your calves as you skate away. If anything the kids are better about keeping their sticks downand going after the puck, not the player.

The real issue with kids is the fact that shit happens in hockey and if I fall on a guy or hit someone with a shot I don't want to live with fucking up someone who is potentially in middle school. 18+ means that everyone on the ice is an adult. If someone is whacking my goalie I'm not going to deck a 12 year old, but sure as hell will put anyone over 18 on their ass.

If your only issue is kids giving 100% and raising the intensity of a more mature and fun game, I envy you a lot.