Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sitzlejd

Youngsters in beer league?

I had a real bonus at Sunday's pickup. A young girl, say 15 or 16 joined our pickup game despite the 18 or over rule. She curled into my path while carrying the puck and ran right into me. I was basically gliding slowly just to apply a token forecheck. I guess she didn't see me.

Well basics physics explains that 280 in equipment versus 80 isn't a fair match. I tried to keep her from falling but couldn't do it. She didn't go down too hard thankfully.

I didn't feel too bad until I learn that she is coming back from a concussion. Not sure of the wisdom of choosing to skate against players 3X your size when coming back from a concussion, but there it is.

So, I always was against having youngsters playing against adults, but it was reinforced for me on Sunday.

Well being 18, and really small (130lbs 5'3") and playing in with my dad in a local beer league, I am always cruzing around. Well I just got back from a game, and after chasing a guy down on a breakaway, and taking the puck to the corner, this guy decides to give me a flying elbow elbow right to the mouth. All I did was knock the put off his stick, gained possession, and around the corner.........and pop an elbow to the face. The refs didn't call it, but i went to bench with a bloody nose, and lip. I might need stitches for the lip, don't know yet.

I think thats a dirty move to pull, but hey thats not me.

Well being 18, and really small (130lbs 5'3") and playing in with my dad in a local beer league, I am always cruzing around. Well I just got back from a game, and after chasing a guy down on a breakaway, and taking the puck to the corner, this guy decides to give me a flying elbow elbow right to the mouth. All I did was knock the put off his stick, gained possession, and around the corner.........and pop an elbow to the face. The refs didn't call it, but i went to bench with a bloody nose, and lip. I might need stitches for the lip, don't know yet.

Welcome to beer league.

Welcome to beer league.

Thanks, just got to get used to, but as soon as you step off the ice, personalities completely change.

Welcome to beer league.

Thanks, just got to get used to, but as soon as you step off the ice, personalities completely change.

I hate those people and there are a ton of them around here. If you just spent the last hour acting like a douchebag, don't expect me to have any respect for you when the game is over.

Welcome to beer league.

I hate those people and there are a ton of them around here. If you just spent the last hour acting like a douchebag, don't expect me to have any respect for you when the game is over.

They're everywhere, and they usually suck. I played in a league over the summer and the guy that ran our team was "that guy". From the opening faceoff all he did was bitch at the refs, take stupid penealties and start shit with the other team. I looked at a friend of mine & said, that's why I don't play beer league anymore. Off the ice, great guy.

Little off topic:

It's a pretty cool experience to play on a team with your dad. I did it for one season when I was 20 in a noncontact beer league, and have lots of great memories. I played forward, my dad defense... so while we weren't on a line together, we did share a lot of ice time. One of the funniest moments was when my dad angled a guy along the boards and made minor contact as he played the puck. Completely benign play that happens 10+ times in rec league games. The guy took offense, and started crosschecking my dad, who gave it back a bit... the ref signaled to call coincidental roughing penalties... and this guy decided to take one last big hack at my dad. So I came in and just put a shoulder into him, sending him sprawling. Dad and I ended up in the box together... great father-son bonding moment!

That's the biggest problem with parents/kids or husbands/wives playing together. If something happens to one, both are going to get involved. We had a goalie that jumped a guy in the handshake line because the guy had a running battle all game long with the goalies kid. Neither of those guys plays with us anymore.

That's exactly what happened tonight. Dad and two sons were playing on our team b/c we were short. Other team were being dicks and the Dad got knocked down in a shoving match. One of the sons ran in took that guy out, so a guy on the other team went after the son who retaliated. Next thing you know there's an adult throwing punches at a minor.

i think adult leagues should be only adults. that being said, i think that if you are a minor and choose to play in the adult league and decide to throw down and protect a teammate, you should be prepared to possibly be throttled by a guy who could be much bigger and stronger than you.

That's exactly what happened tonight. Dad and two sons were playing on our team b/c we were short. Other team were being dicks and the Dad got knocked down in a shoving match. One of the sons ran in took that guy out, so a guy on the other team went after the son who retaliated. Next thing you know there's an adult throwing punches at a minor.

I completely see your point. Let me reiterate though... I don't think anyone under 18 should be playing in an adult league for liability reasons. When I played with my dad I was 20. My particular incident was an isolated event and not a regular occurrence. I can honestly say I would have cleared the guy regardless if it was my dad he cheap-shotted or another teammate... but that was me as a 20 year old... thinking I needed to stick up for a teammate who received a cheap-shot.

I wasn't really responding to your point, it was just attached to Chadd's. If you're 18 I have absolutely no problem with father and son playing together. The issue for me in our game was the fact that a minor and an adult were throwing down.

I bet my game was the exception, though. Usually it's probably the Dad sticking up for the underage kid, creating unnecessary drama.

It depends on if your league is friendly or competative. I played in an competative adult league a few years ago - no one under 18 was supposed to be allowed to play... game got really chippy, lots of banging on the boards, lots of stick work, not much in the way of game management from the officials. I took a solid two hander across my hands and stopped to take it up with the offending player.... Exchanged a few profanities and shoves and then he cross checks me in the throat.... I mean right in the friggin adams apple. Ok, now it's time for an attitude adjustmentt... He's feeling safe behind his full cage still running his mouth. I drop my stick and one glove to grab a handful of jersey as I shove the cage up 'til the chin cup is against his nose.... I'm thinking now's the time to school him and I'm just about to hammer the bottom edge of his cage into his face with my other (still gloved) fist...... yeah I was gonna be real evil after he stuck me in the throat. Then a little voice said "don't do it".... I listened to it for once and let the zebras seperate us. The next night I'm officiating a Highschool JV game and this kid is on the ice! I talk to his coach and find out that he just turned 17... could have been very bad if I did beat his ass the night before..... He did get what he deserved ..... He hit a kid from behind into the net late in the game (5 + Game) Got jumped in retaliation, fought and lost getting his lip split open in the process (5 + Game), third Game for his second major in a game, and the league mandates an additional game suspension for game Misc received after the mid point of the 3rd period. .... He wound up taking nearly a month and a half off due to suspension...

Oh, the rink also tossed him out of their league for two years (one 'til he turns 18 and a second after)...

There is no rule that says a friendly league can't be competitive and vice versa. I've played in a 4 team league where the games were close, guys wanted to win, there were a lot of good players who played hard and clean and there were smiles and jokes between face-offs. Probably the most fun I've had since I was a kid.

There is no rule that says a friendly league can't be competitive and vice versa. I've played in a 4 team league where the games were close, guys wanted to win, there were a lot of good players who played hard and clean and there were smiles and jokes between face-offs. Probably the most fun I've had since I was a kid.

True, but it really depends on the teams and to a large extent the attitude of the players. They have to "respect" each other.... you can have great and very competative games with everyone skating and playing hard. As soon as you start getting VERY agressive with the stick and body all that goes out the window... you just raised it up several notches. I can remember having to ice my hands down back in my playing days due to the old school "no autopsy no foul" attitude on whacks tot he stick and hands... In the instance I cited above, most of the league was friendly and competative as you suggest. This particular team had several 18-20 somethings on it that still played college club, etc. and just couldn't play without the usual BS and stick work they did in their regular games. Us older farts could play that way but would have preferred to skate, pass, and shoot with a bit of contact being acceptable.

Just another reason I only play a couple times a year and very selectively..... One of the best\funnest adult leagues I've ever skated had a couple teams that really went at it.... Ref's had there hands full when we faced off because it was intense... like the Pens vs flyers, or Avs's vs Wings... but we all knew each other and left it on the ice. We would all go to the bar after.... on many occasions two guys that were throwing hands and hour ago sat around sharing a pitcher of beer talking about their latest tussle. Big thing was that there was very little stick work in this one... just intense and physical...

I'm fifteen and when i play in beer league sometimes over the summer i really dont carry the puck around alot or anything and just ya know have fun jokin around with the older guys and they all seem pretty cool that way.

I think if a minor is going to play beer league he should be mature about it and even if he can dangle around should refrain from doing so because that seems to upset people. For example, work on passing and setting up the less skilled players instead haha