Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beflar

Mirrored Visors

I don't get why Marty Brodeur of all goalies says he wants to see the player's eyes. Maybe on a shootout or breakaway you can glimpse at the player's eyes and try and see if there's any indication to where he's actually looking to go but I still think that as a goalie, you're asking for trouble if you're looking at the player's eyes. I play both and am average at best at both positions and when in nets it never crosses my mind to look at the player's eyes. When I play forward or D, if I get in close for a shot, I'm able to look right and shoot or go left and like I said I'm average at best so I can only imagine how easy it would be to deceive a goalie by looking right and going left in a blink of eye... But what do I know, Brodeur is on his way to break many of Roy's records and I have to pay to play :D

Actually when I was younger and was a defenseman, our coach used to have us practice man-to-man situations like that - just watch the forward's eyes. The forward may try to throw you off but they will always look to where they are going. It's fun as hell.

Actually when I was younger and was a defenseman, our coach used to have us practice man-to-man situations like that - just watch the forward's eyes. The forward may try to throw you off but they will always look to where they are going. It's fun as hell.

JR played defense? :blink:

I don't get why Marty Brodeur of all goalies says he wants to see the player's eyes. Maybe on a shootout or breakaway you can glimpse at the player's eyes and try and see if there's any indication to where he's actually looking to go but I still think that as a goalie, you're asking for trouble if you're looking at the player's eyes. I play both and am average at best at both positions and when in nets it never crosses my mind to look at the player's eyes. When I play forward or D, if I get in close for a shot, I'm able to look right and shoot or go left and like I said I'm average at best so I can only imagine how easy it would be to deceive a goalie by looking right and going left in a blink of eye... But what do I know, Brodeur is on his way to break many of Roy's records and I have to pay to play :D

I don't think Brodeur was saying he needed to maintain eye-contact, but that a quick look at the shooter's eyes can tell you a lot. For one, if I see a guy suddenly stare off to the side where there's no threat, I know he's trying to misdirect me or the D; same thing if he stares too hard at an obvious option.

But frankly, the medical reason is all anyone needs.

It's different for a D man IMO as you are usually playing the body. If you're not playing the body and look at the forward in the eyes, chances are that he'll skate circles around you lol.

As for goalies, I find that looking at the puck and usually by default, at the stick blade gives you way more information than looking in the eyes would, at least for a goalie. I guess it's ok to take a peek at the eyes really quickly, specially for less skilled players but then again, if you're looking at the eyes you're not looking at the puck and it's not the eyes or the physical person you are trying to stop, it's the puck.

I don't think Brodeur was saying he needed to maintain eye-contact, but that a quick look at the shooter's eyes can tell you a lot. For one, if I see a guy suddenly stare off to the side where there's no threat, I know he's trying to misdirect me or the D; same thing if he stares too hard at an obvious option.

But frankly, the medical reason is all anyone needs.

I know that it's not about maintaining eye contact, but still that fraction of a second you are looking up is often enough for the shooter to put the puck past you. Like I said, for less skilled shooters it may work but the skilled ones will make you pay.

As a goalie, the only time I look at the player's eyes is on the PP. Because when they're moving the puck around the perimeter, there is hardly any threat for a shot, but anticipating where they might pass too is pretty valuable. I can see how not being able to see the forwards eyes can give them a slight advantage her. However with today's quick releases, it takes a split second to get the puck off and i'm not looking at the players eyes on a breakaway.

Seems to work for Mr. Brodeur against some decent shooters.

A good shooter by definition is someone who puts the puck where they want it to go with precision, velocity and quickness: that means that one can read them, even if they use misdirection (whereas a poor shooter will at most shoot with ONE of those three qualities, which is precisely why I hate open hockey). Most of the reflex testing shows that goalies can't actually react in time to make the majority of saves, if they were indeed pure reactions; it's an incredibly delicate balance of anticipation, limitation and controlled reaction, and most of this happens without conscious thought. (FWIW, Ken Dryden's wife kicked his ass at reflex testing when he was at the peak of his game.) You don't actually stop and think, "Well, he has no backdoor options, so he won't pass; he's moving right and looking right, but I think it's a feint, so I'll be ready for a shot across his body..." but the process is there.

Think about driving a car. Your eyes aren't ahead, but constantly scanning a series of important zones: mirrors, blind-spots, traffic fore, aft and beside, speedometer, gas, maybe the iPod, etc. Sure, this pattern puts you at theoretical risk of a head-on because you're not looking dead ahead 100% of the time, but as long as the pattern is repeated quickly and with sensitivity to off-axis options, you're in way better shape.

Taking away the shooter's eyes would be like driving with no rearview, only side-mirrors. Sure, you can do it, but you'll feel vulnerable, and rightly so. I do know some people who drive without using their mirrors, but I sure as hell don't trust them behind the wheel.