Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

guarantee you it was in order to prevent a bertuzzi like incident. Guys will obviously react on emotion to this.

The problem with that train of thought is do you think that what he said is any worse than what is said on the ice? I understand that its obviously different saying it through the media than face to face, but I guarantee you things of this sort are said during every game. If Avery hadn't of said this before the game he certainly would have during. I don't think that Dion reacts much differently. If Avery were threatening Dion (or anyone) before the game, that is a completely different story. But saying something about someone's girlfriend? Certainly its classless, but its not really a big deal.

Typical low class comment by Avery, I'm glad the league suspended him.

The fact that he goes and seeks the camera to say this stuff is ridiculous. It's not like this is the first time he's done something completely idiotic. Dallas should try and suspend him without pay, waive him, try to get his contract voided, something....and I bet they do too, Tom Hicks doesn't seem like the kind of person to put up with nonsense like this.

Apparently Hicks said if the league didn't suspend him he would have.

I'm going to beat Chadd to the punch here.... Players get suspended 3 games for head shots, but they immediately get suspended for calling their ex-girlfriend "sloppy seconds"? This is one of the main reasons why the NHL sucks. I had no plans of watching the Calgary/Dallas game before this, and Avery actually made me excited about it. Who doesn't want to see Dion smack down Sean? Too bad we can't see that now because the NHL is hypersensitive. The NHL cost themselves a lot of viewers tonight.

Word. Offensive or not, this is has been pure entertainment. When comparing this to other forms of "acceptable" entertainment as well as other professional sports antics, this really isn't all that bad. It seems obvious Avery is trying to ruffle feathers and the big picture is getting more peopel excited about watching hockey.

Maybe I'm immature or low brow, but I was pretty pumped to watch tonight. I have a feeling that this drama would've gone a long way to attracting more viewers who wouldn't otherwise watch.

The point here is not the comment itself, which is not that remarkable as professional-grade chirping goes. Most of us have heard far better and far, far worse through the glass or on the ice.

The point here is how unbelievably stupid Sean Avery is. If you know you're on thin ice with the league, just how big a moron do you have to be to say that TO THE PRESS? If it's on the ice, it's effectively private; gather a bunch of cameramen and microphones, and you're now an asshat on record. This is absolute proof that every person who's been claiming that he's "smart" about his antics is absolutely wrong. The guy is thick as pigshit.

What I'd really like to see is a three-way suspension by the NHL, the Stars (via Hicks) and the NHLPA. Take away this dickhead's income. Maybe he can go back to interning at Vogue. He'd be, what -- sloppy seventies into Anna Wintour?

If he had yelled at Dion on the ice "Hey...enjoying my SS's?" Nothing would have been done beyond, maybe, the token $1,000-2,500 fine the NHL gives for stuff...

The League is upset that he went out of his way to find the camera (TSN'S no less...so he knew it would be National and get big coverage) and he 'performed' a planned, rehearsed 'bit' that was insulting to women in general and specifically to Alicia, Dion, Mike, Jarret, Rachel and anyone else who it was in reference to.

I have no problem with the suspension.

What difference does it make where the comment was made? It's classless no matter where it's said!!! If it happened on ice, Dion may get a chance to put his hands on Avery which may cause the next black eye to hockey. But it didn't and now we've been spared witnessing another violent incident to hockey. Think of the position Avery put Dion in? What should he do? Go after Avery to defend his girl and risk a lengthy suspension of his own and make Avery the victim?

I'm going to beat Chadd to the punch here.... Players get suspended 3 games for head shots, but they immediately get suspended for calling their ex-girlfriend "sloppy seconds"? This is one of the main reasons why the NHL sucks. I had no plans of watching the Calgary/Dallas game before this, and Avery actually made me excited about it. Who doesn't want to see Dion smack down Sean? Too bad we can't see that now because the NHL is hypersensitive. The NHL cost themselves a lot of viewers tonight.

Word. Offensive or not, this is has been pure entertainment. When comparing this to other forms of "acceptable" entertainment as well as other professional sports antics, this really isn't all that bad. It seems obvious Avery is trying to ruffle feathers and the big picture is getting more peopel excited about watching hockey.

Maybe I'm immature or low brow, but I was pretty pumped to watch tonight. I have a feeling that this drama would've gone a long way to attracting more viewers who wouldn't otherwise watch.

Outside of professional wrestling, show me one other purposeful quote in the media made by a professional athlete about another's wife/girlfriend in this manner. I won't bother waiting.

Another thing I just thought of- What role does the media play in this? For the past two days one of the headlines on TSN.ca was something along the lines of "Avery to face 'boring captain' Iginla in Calgary". They played up some offhand comment Avery made earlier in the year into a top story, trying to hype the game up. Avery is doing exactly what they want him to.

Another thing I just thought of- What role does the media play in this? For the past two days one of the headlines on TSN.ca was something along the lines of "Avery to face 'boring captain' Iginla in Calgary". They played up some offhand comment Avery made earlier in the year into a top story, trying to hype the game up. Avery is doing exactly what they want him to.

Apples and oranges.

What difference does it make where the comment was made? It's classless no matter where it's said!!! If it happened on ice, Dion may get a chance to put his hands on Avery which may cause the next black eye to hockey. But it didn't and now we've been spared witnessing another violent incident to hockey. Think of the position Avery put Dion in? What should he do? Go after Avery to defend his girl and risk a lengthy suspension of his own and make Avery the victim?

The NHL should play no role in deciding what is classy and what is classless, only what is safe and what is dangerous.

I can't believe some of you guys support this kind of personal attacks.

Granted it could make people watch more hockey but do you really want to market the NHL with such idiots? This is not the WWE.

If Avery had given "no comment" through his career do you think he'd just have signed a $15+ million contract? Its beneficial to him to do this type of shit. His team is a whole other story.

The NHL should play no role in deciding what is classy and what is classless, only what is safe and what is dangerous.

You don't honestly believe that the league has no interest in protecting its image? Every league out there has suspended and/or fined players for actions/comments that have nothing to do with safety but put the league in a bad light.

There is a line of professional conduct and comportment. If a guy showed up to a playoff game in a beater and jeans, he'd be fined. If someone got a dirty word shaved into his head and showed it off to the cameras, he'd get something too.

I know one thing, if Modano wasn't happy about the team before then he has to hate being a Star now.

Modano can thank Hull for this sideshow, I think Brett sees a bit of himself in Avery.

I can't believe some of you guys support this kind of personal attacks.

Granted it could make people watch more hockey but do you really want to market the NHL with such idiots? This is not the WWE.

I for one am certainly not supporting it. I just feel that is really not a very big deal, and the NHL is hurting itself by acting in this manner.

I'll share a story i was told from someone who is a bit in the know on inner circle hockey stories....

Back when Avery was playing for the Kings, one game when they played the Red Wings, Avery decided to shit talk Yzerman. He's leaning over the boards saying things like "get off the ice you one legged pos, you're too old, you haven't done anything in years, you were a crappy captain..."

So Shannahan didn't like this very much and is standing near the Kings bench. He says, "Sean stop calling me. Just stop calling me. Lose my number. I'm tired of hearing you bitch and moan about how your coach sucks, how your linemates can't do shit, and how you hate your team and how you think they'll never make the playoffs. Just delete my number and stop calling.

Needless to say Avery had zero response, as he caught the ire of his coach and teammates.

Is the NFL hurting itself in its treatment of Pacman Jones? How about when MLB fined BJ Kim for flipping off Sox fans? Or how about...........ahhhh, you get the point.

I have no problem is Avery calls Phaneuf or any other player a pussy, an as*hole, etc. but to use someone's family, wife or girlfriend as an insult isn't acceptable anywhere in life.

You don't honestly believe that the league has no interest in protecting its image? Every league out there has suspended and/or fined players for actions/comments that have nothing to do with safety but put the league in a bad light.

I think that the league does have an interest in protecting its image, but I don't think suspending players is how it should be approached. I'd have no problems fining Avery for this. Suspending him only robs the fans who were excited for what appeared to be a good game.

And for the record, I think we'd both agree that it would be unfair to compare the NHL to the other leagues in terms of their players and the league's image. The NHL is leaps and bounds above the other leagues in that regard.