Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

For everybody else, this is what I PM'd sweetblazer...

"Watch your thoughts; they become your words. Watch your words; they become your habits. Watch your habits; they become your character. Watch your character; it becomes your legacy."

Jack Nicklaus

These words are how I try to conduct myself. I'll tell you this, it really takes a conscious effort to be respectful and respectable than it is to be a rude and inconsiderate. I'm no saint, there's times I lose my cool but I always try to be appropriate in my words and conduct.

Mike

The fact of the matter is...Pro sports involves alot of money....You can talk about free speech, blah,blah,blah all you want...But when orginizations spen this kind of money on people, they most certainly have the right to censor what you say and dont say, how you act on and off the ice/playng field whatever....This is why the contracts are so intensive and every detail is usually covered....Maybe Dallas needs to put a clause in his contract about not speaking for 24 hours a day....

Radio, i'll just point out the attempt to chirp me by saying "single". Should MSH discipline you? No. It is not that same thing. It's not.

I was just wondering if you were single...thanks for clarifying. Your comment that GF's aren't family made me wonder. How is that chirping????

If you have a GF and her ex comes up to you and goes "Hey man, enjoying my sloppy seconds?" How you gonna react?

I was just questioning your comment that Avery wasn't vulgar, and GF isn't family.

Assuming that is actually the only thing you meant from it, then I will answer. I still don't think it is the same. I have had a very long and serious relationship and no it wouldn't be the same. Would I stand up for her, absolutely because of course its not respectful to speak of a woman that way. However; would I or she for that matter be very upset that those words are what he chose to say? No. I just think it got blown out of proportion, thats all I'm saying.

Listen I'm not just some punk kid on the internet alright. I'm a well-educated, very respectful person, and I am usually very calm. my on-ice personality is in no way reflective of me off the ice, as I am much more easily angered and aggressive and I love to chirp. The bottom line here, they are just words. Thats it. Who hasn't heard " sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

The fact of the matter is...Pro sports involves alot of money....You can talk about free speech, blah,blah,blah all you want...But when orginizations spen this kind of money on people, they most certainly have the right to censor what you say and dont say, how you act on and off the ice/playng field whatever....This is why the contracts are so intensive and every detail is usually covered....Maybe Dallas needs to put a clause in his contract about not speaking for 24 hours a day....

Its not even about the amount of money involved...If I'm out representing the radio station(s) I work for...ESPECIALLY if I'm wearing a logo...they sure as hell have a vested interest in how I represent their brand, and can discipline me however they want if I act against what they feel is right.

Avery represents the Dallas Stars and NHL brand...end of story.

Kinda reminds me of Materazzi vs. Zidane in the '06 World Cup, and the flurry of opinions that followed the incident, so I'm not surprised to see this thread unfold as it has. But now that everyone's riled up, I have to say that it was amusing to hear Bob McKenzie say "sloppy seconds" on his usual primetime stage. Sometimes ya gotta appreciate the small things in life.

I was disgusted when I heard Avery was suspended indefinitely for this one. As previously mentioned, people can throw intent-to-injure hits and receive minimal discipline, but someone speaks their mind freely and they get eliminated. I'd much rather see a steep fine for this act, if discipline is to be awarded. The NHL shot itself in the foot, as preventing Avery from playing surely cost some interest in the game. I know I'd be more inclined to stay up late and watch the game. Plus if anything were to happen between Avery and Phaneuf, more media and press would be all over this than just the original comment.

I also think people are failing to realize Avery's genius. I think people underestimate his thinking. He's been given this label of a punk, and has been typecast to the point where people expect him to deliver these shocking lines. He delivers, and people respond. He wins every time. He knows his words will start a riot, and so he feeds the crowd what they want to hear to in turn make them riot. Who's the real sucker?

And again, no one's a saint. Everyone has been mean spirited (verbally or physically) at some point. No one is a Ned Flanders. Finally, there is no such thing as bad press. All press is good press. If people are talking about you, then it means an interest level exists.

I have to say that it was amusing to hear Bob McKenzie say "sloppy seconds" on his usual primetime stage. Sometimes ya gotta appreciate the small things in life.

And not just once either...he must've said it 10-12 times. They are gonna get off the air and go...'I can't believe I said sloppy seconds on National TV that many times'

Duthie, Torts and Barnaby probably had an over/under in Bobby Mac after the first time they did the feature *L*

Its not even about the amount of money involved...If I'm out representing the radio station(s) I work for...ESPECIALLY if I'm wearing a logo...they sure as hell have a vested interest in how I represent their brand, and can discipline me however they want if I act against what they feel is right.

damn. didnt see it that way. makes sense. but i still could see maybe a fine...but loosing playing time is dumb. you buy him to use him. why punish him with ice time? make him pay outa his pocket at the most. i still dont believe from what ive seen on the interview that is worth a suspension. there were no names givin or anything. "sloppy seconds" isnt serious at all imo.

Finally, there is no such thing as bad press. All press is good press. If people are talking about you, then it means an interest level exists.

That's all fine and good when you are established and everyone knows you. Let the League get a couple years of Good Press in the States before they have to rely on Bad Press to get a mention...

damn. didnt see it that way. makes sense. but i still could see maybe a fine...but loosing playing time is dumb. you buy him to use him. why punish him with ice time? make him pay outa his pocket at the most. i still dont believe from what ive seen on the interview that is worth a suspension. there were no names givin or anything. "sloppy seconds" isnt serious at all imo.

But doesn't the CBA restrict NHL fines to $2,500. Not much of a lesson learned there is there?

Again, not the same thing.

Also, cause I'm curious, do you disagree with him and his comments, are do you actually feel its detrimental to the league?

Lot of extremely classless remarks in this thread, wow.

If the NHL has to stoop to revolting insults hurled through the media at friends and family members of the opposition to drum up a rivalry, then you can count me out as a fan.

What Avery said is disrespectful to women everywhere (the idea that they are 'sloppy' after sleeping with more than one man, whereas for a man it is somehow a point of pride), disrespectful to Dion, disrespectful to the fans who have to hear this crap, pretty much disrespectful to just about anybody you can think of; his teammates, his coaching staff, the team who pays him, the league that employs him, the PA that fights for his labour rights.

If I had been at a game and heard Avery say this on the ice, I would have just thought him to be a no-class piece of trash, but saying it in a basically prepared speech, to national media, also tells me he is a complete and utter moron.

Again, not the same thing.

Also, cause I'm curious, do you disagree with him and his comments, are do you actually feel its detrimental to the league?

I think the comments are in bad taste. And they should not have been said on camera. On the ice is really no better, but at least that wouldn't have looked premeditated. And, yes...I think the player making them reflects badly on his team and the League. The fact that the player is a repeat offender makes it worse.

There is so much good in this League...on and off the ice and it takes this kind of crap to get front page. So, people who know NOTHING about hockey who see this on S/C will walk away thinking that all (or most) hockey players in the NHL are like this. Untrue...but perception is reality.

I bet Avery isn't seeing anyone right now (I'm not 100% sure that he isn't, but I'm willing to bet he isn't)...he wouldn't have said it if he was in a relationship...How does he go home to a wife/girlfriend...after a comment like that.

I think that you are right in saying there is a lot of good in the league. Quite frankly, from interviews and such it sounds like there is a lot of good in Sean Avery. I continuously see things about how nice and charming of a guy he is. In any case, I think he is right in what he said at the start of the season about the good vs. evil thing. I mean he's stupid for targeting a superstar liek Iggy...but I think we can all agree that in hockey their are the guys that live the "Gongshow" lifestyle and those that don't. Even here that is evident.

There is so much good in this League...on and off the ice and it takes this kind of crap to get front page. So, people who know NOTHING about hockey who see this on S/C will walk away thinking that all (or most) hockey players in the NHL are like this. Untrue...but perception is reality.

How can you draw such a conclusion? I don't believe that is reality. The average person realizes there are bad examples in everything. For the record, his suspension is front page of yahoo.com and FSN Final Score highlights show leads off with the headline: "A low blow off the ice has landed one hockey player in hot water." I don't think this happens if he isn't suspended.

Lot of extremely classless remarks in this thread, wow.

Spare me. Please?

This is ridiculous. Yes, the guy made a stupid comment about his personal business and insulted several fellow hockey players and the personal honor of an Xgirlfriend. Let them deal with it. Indefinite suspension? This game is getting ridiculous. Last time I checked, we're like the 4th or 5th most popular sport in the US, with Car Racing and MMA soon to pass us. We need drama like this. Drama that will stir attention to the game and have people tune in and watch how the drama unfolds. The Stars as a team are probably happy because this will deflect some of the attention away from outspoken players, Like Turco, who are beyond underwhelming and might also help Coach Tippet and the 2 GMs keep their jobs. For a little while longer anyway.

...and in recent news, a NY Giants receiver sneaks an illegal gun into a club and manages to shoot himself and endanger the lives of innocent people around him.

But Avery gets an indefinite suspension and the League is all up in arms? Get over yourselves. Somebody get the lawyers out of our game - STAT!

i gotta say this suspension is a joke. a good part of hockey is chirpin another player, Avery does that better than anyone. yeah he used sloppy seconds but seriously who hasn't said that before??? it's part of the game and if some players can't handle that too bad. All the sport networks are blowin this way out of proportion. The mental side of hockey is his part of his game that he is good at, I say just let this go down the drain and let him play.

Drewhunz is around the Stars quite a bit...I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this yet. Have the rest of the players had it with Avery, the way you are lead to believe by Turco's comments/expression.

Tomorrow should be fun. I'll be there right around the time Avery gets into Dallas. Hicks has already confirmed he will be at the facility.

Funny enough, I'll be there around the time Avery returns back to the practice facility. Should be interesting. Watch for me on TV :)

For those guys saying that "it's no big deal because we all do it" or something similar;

What's wrong with the NHL holding themselves and their players to a higher standard? Why should the NHL let something go if it has been said or done by some goofball in a bush league somewhere else in North America? If they want to hold their players to a higher standard, I applaud them for doing it. That just means they have to hold the same standard for every player and not just guys like Avery.

Although i understand members who think this did not deserve a suspension, I still can't believe all the crap i'm reading here, especially since M. sweetblazer jumped in. How the hell can you justify this by saying "no hockey player has never taken a cheap shot, never chirped somebody, bla bla bla, we've all done it". You call this an argument? Where's the connection between throwing a cheap shot on the ice and publicly insulting someone's relative?

Then you say something like" they're just words, get over it pussies". Fine, i'll just call a press conference tomorrow and tell the world how i saw this video of your mom getting gangbanged like an animal. Oh, i could let them know about your sexual dysfunctions too. Don't you see a problem here? Words sometimes aren't "just words" and there even is a law against words, the defamation law. It does restrict freedom of speech.

Avery's action are nowhere near defamation and i agree they are not THAT bad. However, he went too far and the league add to take action. To suspend or not to suspend is another question but i'm pissed about all of you who want more of this kind of behavior because "it's funny, it creates a rivalry, bla bla bla." Avery can insult other players all he want as long as he stays out of their personal lives.

Avery can insult other players all he want as long as he stays out of their personal lives.

The problem is that he did it in a way to make sure every TV station got video, it wasn't on the ice. Anyone still believe he didn't make a comment about Jason Blake's cancer problem last year?

Jason Blake confirmed that it didn't happen.
Anyone still believe he didn't make a comment about Jason Blake's cancer problem last year?

Others who were on the ice have said otherwise.

Although i understand members who think this did not deserve a suspension, I still can't believe all the crap i'm reading here, especially since M. sweetblazer jumped in. How the hell can you justify this by saying "no hockey player has never taken a cheap shot, never chirped somebody, bla bla bla, we've all done it". You call this an argument? Where's the connection between throwing a cheap shot on the ice and publicly insulting someone's relative?

Then you say something like" they're just words, get over it pussies". Fine, i'll just call a press conference tomorrow and tell the world how i saw this video of your mom getting gangbanged like an animal. Oh, i could let them know about your sexual dysfunctions too. Don't you see a problem here? Words sometimes aren't "just words" and there even is a law against words, the defamation law. It does restrict freedom of speech.

Avery's action are nowhere near defamation and i agree they are not THAT bad. However, he went too far and the league add to take action. To suspend or not to suspend is another question but i'm pissed about all of you who want more of this kind of behavior because "it's funny, it creates a rivalry, bla bla bla." Avery can insult other players all he want as long as he stays out of their personal lives.

You made up a lie in your example? That isn't the same thing? Its late and you must be tired cause I don't even see how that is even close to the same thing? I'd think by the age you appear to be in your posts from past you'd be a bit more mature.

Off course i made a lie; 1- I don't even know you, 2- It's an EXAMPLE.

Just assume that i do, in fact, know some personal details about you, your girlfriend or your mom; there's probably somebody in the world who does. Maybe then, you'll get what i'm trying to say.

The example is not directly related to Avery, it's purpose was to contradict your claim that "words are just words, they can do no harm".

And what does this have to do with my maturity?