Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#44wannabe

My opinion of roller hockey...

another vote for roller + ice both being awesome and complimentary. Definitely different in a bunch of ways, but valuable, transferable skills acquired in both. To the guys that can play both in the same day - kudos! I've tried, but the closest I've gotten was outdoor roller at sunset then ice the next morning. The adjustments needed in jumping back and forth used to take me like an hour or so, now its only like 5 minutes and I'm fine.

This conversation is senseless. Ice and Inline Hockey definitely complement each other. Someone made a good point how you never hear the roller guys bashing ice hockey. Its always the ice hockey guys bashing inline hockey. All I know is that I've seen some incredible roller hockey players pick up ice hockey in two weeks. You won't see an ice hockey player do that in anywhere near as little time. Not saying it cannot happen, but in my experiences, it hasn't. Anyway, just thought I'd add to the list of Roller hockey players that are in the show.

Im just going to add to the list that was posted earlier.

Bobby Ryan- Team Dangerous, Tour USA 87s, Anaheim Ducks NHL

Patrick Maroon- STL Tour Blast, Homecare America, Philadelphia Phantoms AHL

Ales Hemsky- Czech Republic National Inline, Edmonton Oilers NHL

Karel Rachunek- Czech Republic National Inline, New Jersey Devils NHL

Henrik Lundqvist- Swedish National Inline, New York Rangers NHL

Nigel Williams- Mission Syndicate, Lake Erie Monsters AHL

TJ Hensick- Mission Honeybaked 85, Colorado Avalanche NHL

Brett Sterling- Anaheim Mission Bulldogs, Atlanta Thrashers NHL

Gabe Gauthier- Team SureGrip, LA Pama Cyclones, LA Kings NHL

Chad Kolarik- Mission Honeybaked, San Antonio Rampage AHL

Kevin Porter- Mission Honeybaked, Phoenix Coyotes NHL

Nathan Gerbe- Mission Honeybaked, Buffalo Sabres NHL

Cam Janssen- St. Louis Blast, St. Louis Blues NHL

Thomas McCollum- Buffalo Wings, First Round Pick Of Detroit Redwings NHL

Ray Macias- Anaheim Mission Bulldogs, Lake Erie Monsters AHL

Brian Lerg- Mission Honeybaked, Springfield Falcons AHL

Brad Boyes- Mississauga Hyper Rattlers, St. Louis Blues NHL

Sam Gagner- Oakville Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers NHL

David Booth- Detroit Mission Stars, Florida Panthers NHL

Devin Setoguchi- Team Alberta 18s, San Jose Sharks NHL

Gilbert Brule- NS Zulu, Edmonton Oilers NHL

Ben Bishop- Midwest Fighting Saints, St. Louis Blues NHL

Paul Stastny- Midwest Fighting Saints, Tour Blast, Colorado Avalanche NHL

Patrick O' Sullivan- Detroit Mission Stars, LA Kings NHL

TJ Oshie- Washington Jr. Stars, St. Louis Blues NHL

And I know for a fact that David Perron (STL Blues) still plays some roller hockey during the offseason. I could've listed the roller players that are on D1 NCAA teams right now as well, but I'll save that fish for a later fry. And I know I missed a few other NHL/AHL guys. There are still some in the ECHL, SPHL, and IHL, but I'll save the researching for a term paper. Anyway, (Along with the other list), That is 23 Current NHLers that played serious Roller Hockey in their progression as a HOCKEY player. To Put it in perspective, Theres only 25 Russians in the NHL right now. Just something to think about.

All I know is that I've seen some incredible roller hockey players pick up ice hockey in two weeks. You won't see an ice hockey player do that in anywhere near as little time.

I'm not here to bash roller, in fact I enjoyed playing roller as a kid. However, the list you put up there invalidated the sentence I quoted from your argument. The reason being, off that list at least half of those guys were ice hockey guys who picked up roller, not the other way around. If you're going to ask for proof I will simply say that there are several guys on that list that I have played against and/or know personally. So for you to make the argument above and then put up a list filled with guys who went the ice to roller direction invalidates that part of your argument. Again, I'm not bashing roller, nor am I trying to attack you personally, but if you're going to make that argument be more careful with the names you choose.

This conversation is senseless. Ice and Inline Hockey definitely complement each other. Someone made a good point how you never hear the roller guys bashing ice hockey. Its always the ice hockey guys bashing inline hockey. All I know is that I've seen some incredible roller hockey players pick up ice hockey in two weeks. You won't see an ice hockey player do that in anywhere near as little time. Not saying it cannot happen, but in my experiences, it hasn't. Anyway, just thought I'd add to the list of Roller hockey players that are in the show.

And I know for a fact that David Perron (STL Blues) still plays some roller hockey during the offseason. I could've listed the roller players that are on D1 NCAA teams right now as well, but I'll save that fish for a later fry. And I know I missed a few other NHL/AHL guys. There are still some in the ECHL, SPHL, and IHL, but I'll save the researching for a term paper. Anyway, (Along with the other list), That is 23 Current NHLers that played serious Roller Hockey in their progression as a HOCKEY player. To Put it in perspective, Theres only 25 Russians in the NHL right now. Just something to think about.

Dude your example can possibly contradict that statement. How do you know the these 23 great ice hockey players didn't pick up roller hockey in two weeks? Theres no way for you to prove that. So this whole posting proved nothing.

Theres always that one picture of the Lundqvist twins playing on that frozen pond at about 5 or 6. So if Henrik did play roller there is no way to prove whether he played it before ice or not. I'm pretty sure Henrik picked up roller in less than a week let alone two. (I have no evidence to back up the previous statement)

Not to mention, since the the early to mid 90's when roller hockey became popular, anyone that grew up after that, you could make the same argument. Most kids play both. If I were in the NHL you would throw my name up on that list too.

Plus that comment about russians??? REALLY? How do you know anything about their roller hockey habits. On your list their there were two czechs and a sweede. But russians don't play roller hockey right, that why only 25 of them in the NHL. Thats not an argument for anything.

At the end of the day, I'm not bashing roller. Please, go play roller, Hell I've played roller. In my OPINION I think Ice hockey was the sport that created roller and roller is nothing more than a way to play ice hockey without ice. Thus, not making it no more than a training tool for ice.

Plus that comment about russians??? REALLY? How do you know anything about their roller hockey habits. On your list their there were two czechs and a sweede. But russians don't play roller hockey right, that why only 25 of them in the NHL. Thats not an argument for anything.

What he is saying is that the minority of players in the NHL that played roller is bigger than another minority in the NHL, in this case Russians. It has nothing to do with Russians playing roller hockey.

I never meant anything about Russians and roller hockey. I was using the amount of Russians in the NHL as a measuring scale showing the prevelence of Roller hockey players in the show. Read and comprehend before you react.

Theres always that one picture of the Lundqvist twins playing on that frozen pond at about 5 or 6. So if Henrik did play roller there is no way to prove whether he played it before ice or not. I'm pretty sure Henrik picked up roller in less than a week let alone two. (I have no evidence to back up the previous statement)

I never said Henrik Lundquist picked up roller hockey in two weeks. I never even implied that. In fact, I have no idea where you came up with that. My statement was that "All I know is that I've seen some incredible roller hockey players pick up ice hockey in two weeks. You won't see an ice hockey player do that in anywhere near as little time. Not saying it cannot happen, but in my experiences, it hasn't." Never once did I say that it couldnt happen, but from what I have seen, it does not happen often.

Dude your example can possibly contradict that statement. How do you know the these 23 great ice hockey players didn't pick up roller hockey in two weeks? Theres no way for you to prove that. So this whole posting proved nothing.

It actually proved that all you people who sit here and say that roller hockey is fake hockey and all this and that are completely wrong. It is HOCKEY. Things you learn and some (not all, I know that) habits can help you in Ice hockey.

All I know is that I've seen some incredible roller hockey players pick up ice hockey in two weeks. You won't see an ice hockey player do that in anywhere near as little time.

I am not implying that any or even one of the players I have listed fall into that catagory. I understand that 95% of the people I listed played Ice hockey before Roller hockey. They all played Inline for YEARS. I know this because I have seen at/played with/played against many of the players on that list at National Tournaments in the US and Canada (NARCh, TORHS, etc). Those aren't tournaments that you learn to play at. Those are tournaments that you play at to compete against the best competition in the world. Something tells me that not one of those players picked up a pair of Rollerblades 2 weeks before and went to play there.

Thanks for reinforcing that Cheesehead.

This is such a retarded argument and I can't believe it's even been brought up again. There is always some clueless meatstick of an ice hockey player that brings up this shit every once in a while, and its kind of annoying. Anyone who says roller's not real hockey is a moron and has no clue what they are talking about. It's hockey on a different surface. Some people make it sound as close to ice hockey as field hockey. I know really good ice players who can't hack it in roller and i know really good roller players who can't hack it on ice. This argument will go on forever, and it's pointless.

well even if those guys listed played ice first it just shows how they translate so well and that even some of the best at the highest level realize and appreciate that they are both competetive nearly identical in basic skills and are both part of the greatest game conversation over

I didn't know Gauthier played for Pama....is that confirmed?

Done, I'm done. I can't argue this anymore. Especially over the internet where I can't illistrate my tone of voice and all the roller hockey guys, think I'm attcking their beloved sport. I don't hate roller. I just don't really like roller and don't think it's as fun as ice. And because I was introduced to ice first roller will always be a second class citizin. But if you like it go and play, it's still better than not playing hockey at all.

Done, I'm done. I can't argue this anymore. Especially over the internet where I can't illistrate my tone of voice and all the roller hockey guys, think I'm attcking their beloved sport. I don't hate roller. I just don't really like roller and don't think it's as fun as ice. And because I was introduced to ice first roller will always be a second class citizin. But if you like it go and play, it's still better than not playing hockey at all.

That is the most ridiculous, narrow-minded and illegitimate justification I have EVER heard for anything.

Why? I've played ice my whole life. I've never played roller before, but I can say without a doubt that even if I fell in love with roller, it would never replace ice and my lifetime of memories from it. The only thing ridiculous is the butchering of "citizen".

That is the most ridiculous, narrow-minded and illegitimate justification I have EVER heard for anything.

It seems to me that this person is stating their OPINION, not trying to pass anything off as fact. He's allowed to his opinion, just like you are allowed to yours and to call another persons opinion ridiculous is just as narrow-minded.

It seems to me that this person is stating their OPINION, not trying to pass anything off as fact. He's allowed to his opinion, just like you are allowed to yours and to call another persons opinion ridiculous is just as narrow-minded.

Nice try. I wasn't criticizing his opinion. I was criticizing the justification of his opinion. I'll help you out: www.dictionary.com

He prefers ice. So be it, but being that he looks down on roller only because he "was introduced to ice first" is being narrowed-minded. It's analogous to despising Pepsi because the first soda you had to drink was a Coke.

In the same vein as your post, you calling me out for calling someone else out is a bit hypocritical.

Some things will never change. Notice, Roller Hockey guys almost *never* talk down on Ice Hockey, they respect it as it is, and most of the guys who play accordingly.

This is so, so true.

I play both. I started with roller, then went on to playing ice at the same time.

[sNIP]

Horrible argument.

First off, while one may not frequently hear roller players bashing ice hockey, I have certainly heard roller players saying that their game is better than ice - more skill, tougher, etc., etc - which is, of course, exactly what ice players say. It's in the nature of any group of specialists to believe, in general, that their specialty predominates. Ice or roller, literature or classics, psychology or psychiatry - everybody feuds a little.

You may claim to have seen roller players pick up ice in "two weeks" (dubious claim), but I seriously doubt you could take a top-tier professional roller player, put him on the ice for two weeks, and then have him play ANYWHERE in pro ice hockey. I wouldn't even put him in a Senior A Ontario game. Nor would I put any pro ice player on wheels for two weeks an then expect him to play professionally.

Now, with your list of pro ice players who happen to have played high-level roller hockey -- you suppose by induction that roller was an instrumental part of their on-ice development. The fact is that almost any professional athlete (with the rule-proving exception of J.S. Giguere) is an accomplished multi-sport athlete. They have a broad-base of coordination and are extraordinarily adept in skill-transfer. I would wager that a far greater percentage of hockey players are serious golfers (scratch or better). Are you really going to claim that golf makes hockey players better at hockey? Of course not. There may be some purely incidental refinement of a tiny number of motor skills, but that's it.

The correlation between ice and roller (like ice and golf) is more likely seasonal. I'd bet that most of the players you listed came from areas where summer ice was relatively scarce, if not unavailable. No, naming David Perron in Quebec does not disprove my point, because my point is general. Even in Toronto, a huge number of rinks shut down in the summer not because roller is incredibly popular, but because paying the electrical bill for an ice pad in August isn't worth it. It's easier to get a roller game in high summer than to get on the ice.

The reality is that roller hockey is a simulation of ice hockey where ice is absent. It is therefore a subsidiary sport in conception, but in reality, a unique sport in its own right. It's an adaptation of ice hockey to an off-ice environment. Like any adaptation, it involves the creation of a distinct entity. It doesn't matter that many of the rules and dimensions and equipment are similar: the physics of the game differ, and when you get down to brass tacks, sport is a physical endeavour.

Nice try. I wasn't criticizing his opinion. I was criticizing the justification of his opinion. I'll help you out: www.dictionary.com

He prefers ice. So be it, but being that he looks down on roller only because he "was introduced to ice first" is being narrowed-minded. It's analogous to despising Pepsi because the first soda you had to drink was a Coke.

In the same vein as your post, you calling me out for calling someone else out is a bit hypocritical.

Him preferring ice to roller because he was introduced to it first is not narrow-minded its his choice and and he's entitled to it.

Think of it this way: I prefer the Philadelphia Flyers to the Detroit Redwings and to me the Redwings will always be "second-class citizens." In this example Detroit is pretty clearly the better team, but I prefer Philly. Why? Because I was introduced to the Flyers first (living in Philly and growing up with season tickets). Just because you don't like how he arrived at his opinion doesn't make it any more or less narrow minded than how I arrived at my opinion about the Flyers and Redwings.

You're analogy about Coke and Pepsi doesn't work because he is not saying he despises roller he just enjoys ice more. Obviously your real problem is his choice of the words "second class citizen." If he simply said "I prefer ice to roller because I played ice first," would you be as bent out of shape about his justification?

You're analogy about Coke and Pepsi doesn't work because he is not saying he despises roller he just enjoys ice more. Obviously your real problem is his choice of the words "second class citizen." If he simply said "I prefer ice to roller because I played ice first," would you be as bent out of shape about his justification?

Obviously. There is a huge difference there.

Compare:

a.) I prefer associating with Americans to foreigners because I grew up in the United States.

b.) Foreigners are second-class citizens.

His choice of words reflects the intentions of his statement. If he wasn't belittling inline hockey, he would not have used such an overtly derogatory expression to describe it.

It's obvious to me that you're defending him because your opinion aligns with his.

If you feel the need to further rebut, go right ahead. I believe have made my case.

who cares im pretty sure weve all heard that fighting on the internet is like the special olympics if ya win your still well you know what whether its roller or ice AT LEAST WE ARE ALL PLAYING HOCKEY ahmen

btw i play both as much as possible ice is just more popular b/c it came first and has more tradition if your on one side bashing the other your a moron

Obviously. There is a huge difference there.

Compare:

a.) I prefer associating with Americans to foreigners because I grew up in the United States.

b.) Foreigners are second-class citizens.

His choice of words reflects the intentions of his statement. If he wasn't belittling inline hockey, he would not have used such an overtly derogatory expression to describe it.

It's obvious to me that you're defending him because your opinion aligns with his.

If you feel the need to further rebut, go right ahead. I believe have made my case.

You made your point and I've made mine, like I said your objection was to the term "second class citizen." To me he's using that to describe his opinion and without malice. You take those words as belitting inline. Different points of view and thats fine.

That being said I am not defending him because I share his viewpoint. I am simply defending a persons right to have an opinion and to use whatever means of justification they want to arrive at that opinion, so long as that person does not attempt to force his view on other. I think him making a statement doesn't constitute forcing his view, you may disagree, thats fine. Point being, if this argument were to be reversed I would be defending you as well.

Its not like there is a right answer to the "which is better" question anyway. I prefer ice, you obviously prefer inline. Thats your opinion and I respect it, just like I would hope you respect mine.