Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ Thompson94

snowboarding

I did a search and couldn't find anything, if there is a topic like this please close this and put up the link for other topic.

This weekend I went skiing, and eventually got bored with the only double black diamond they had. On the last day, I rented a snowboard to give it a try and I picked it up real fast. In a few runs on the bunny hill, I got the hang of stopping heelside, and got up to doing double greens. By the end of the day i got the toe side stop and I was having a blast. (still having a bit of trouble going heel to toe without stoping). Either way I'm hooked on snowboarding. My Skis will now sit idle in my parents garage untill I'm going down double black diamonds on the board.

Basiclly, I'm totally new to snowboarding and I want to get my own setup, maybe at an end of the season sale. Other than burton, what are some good boards and bindings that are good quality and arn't too expensive for a beginer. I also want to know how to size up a board for me at 5'10 and 155 lbs. What kind of flex would a beginner like me need and why do boards have different flexes. I really want to know anything you know, cause I know almost nothing.

Also, if you could point me to a good snowboarding forum, that would be great. I didn't know where to start, so I guesses some of you guys may know some stuff.

Also, I could use some tips on how to go back and fourth from heelside to toeside without coming to a complete stop each time. It may just come with time and practice.

Thanks, I'll listen to anything and everything you can tell me on snowboarding. I love it.

Hey, it's good to see that you're digging snowboarding, it's definitely addicting... I've been riding for 10 or so years and I never really get tired of it.

As far as brands go, if you get anything Burton, while it will be pretty good quality, you'll also be paying for the name.

I'm using Rome 390 bindings right now and am very happy with them. They are designed more on the freestyle side of things but are a great all-around binding. They might be a bit more than you're wanting to pay, but look for last years model (which is exactly the same as this years except for a different ankle strap). K2 is putting out some good bindings as well, check out the Formulas. Some other brands to consider are Ride, Flux, and Union. Basically, look for a binding that isn't very stiff and will be more forgiving and you'll be set.

For boards, there are quite a few options. I'm riding a Never Summer SL and it's a solid board but again probably a bit more than you'd want to pay. Check out K2, Rome, Ride. There are quite a few other companies out there that are solid as well. For a board, again, look for something that is on the softer side. Basically, stiffer boards are designed for freeride while softer boards are targeted more towards freestyle. For a beginner though, a softer board will always be your best bet. I'd look for something around 156cm for your size.

For forums, check out snowboard.com. There is quite a bit of information on there and some of it is actually good...

It's kind of hard to explain snowboarding technique over the internet. It might be a good idea to take a half-day lesson from a good instructor to get the basics down. Make sure that you actually get someone who knows their stuff and can explain it well. They have different certifications for instructors so try and find someone who is certified in some way.

For picking gear, try to find a shop that is interested in you and your needs as a snowboarder and not just making the sale (basically like hockey). Also, check out craigslist from time to time because you can find some great deals on there.

Basically, just have fun with it. Try and find some buddies to go with that are around your skill level so you can push each other to get better and no one feels too out of place.

If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I might be able to help you out.

Just like hockey, theres a lot of technology put into snowboard gear and its always good to know about what your buying before you spend the money that you will be spending so in short, go to a local shop (make sure its a local shop and not a mall) and explain your situation, the guys there will hook you up. For boots, anything is good as long as its comfortable for you, most these days are built really nice. For bindings, you want something durable first and for most, the guys at the shop should help you out but little things like a metal cup instead of plastic help make your binding last longer. THe burton mission is a toecap design and is really nice for the price, burton makes really good bindings, I think they are overpriced for anything else. A board is where you really got to pay attention to what your getting. I don't know what kind of riding your planning on doing but the board should generally be between your shoulders and chin with you going shorter or longer depending on the tricks you wanna pull (shorter is easier to control for spins and jibs). A softer flex is nice for beginners or freestyle (park jumps, rails). I would also look at getting a twin board (same tips on both sides) as anything else is more for specific riding. If you got a big foot like I do, you'll have to pay attention to the width of the board as well, Im in a 12 boot so Im using a wide k2 right now.

Hope that all makes sense, if theres any other questions just ask.

Im picking up snowboarding again too, could anyone give me any recommendations?

I'm 14 years old, 5'9", around 140lbs.

Im a total beginner, did it for a week about 2 years ago and thats it. Open to any brand/make. Not looking to spend a fortune around $300.

Thanks.

Im picking up snowboarding again too, could anyone give me any recommendations?

I'm 14 years old, 5'9", around 140lbs.

Im a total beginner, did it for a week about 2 years ago and thats it. Open to any brand/make. Not looking to spend a fortune around $300.

Thanks.

Arbor makes an awsome board at 300 bucks. I forgot the name/model but working at a ski shop we got to go out to a test days with all of the vendors id say youd ride a 153 probably

Check out craigslist and get something used. Finding decent new stuff for $300 will be pretty tough but maybe check out the end of the season sales.

Hey guys, I have a question, I guess regarding technique. I went on my first lengthy snowboard trip two weeks ago, and I had some significant pain by the end of it. Anytime I made a toe side turn i ended up having pain in my left shin and on the outside part of the sole of my left foot. Also, since the trip anytime i lifted my toes on my left foot i had a pretty sharp pain. When i took my boot off during the trip it got better. I was thinking its either the boot just simply doesnt fit my foot or maybe needs some superfeet, a technique issue, or maybe my stance is too wide. If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it.

Hey guys, I have a question, I guess regarding technique. I went on my first lengthy snowboard trip two weeks ago, and I had some significant pain by the end of it. Anytime I made a toe side turn i ended up having pain in my left shin and on the outside part of the sole of my left foot. Also, since the trip anytime i lifted my toes on my left foot i had a pretty sharp pain. When i took my boot off during the trip it got better. I was thinking its either the boot just simply doesnt fit my foot or maybe needs some superfeet, a technique issue, or maybe my stance is too wide. If anyone has any input I'd really appreciate it.

just sounds like you need different insoles that would give your arch more support. I have the same problem. I plan on getting customs

The text book way to measure to see what your stance width is, or should be, is to measure from the center of your knee to the floor. Do you ride goofy or regular? Were you riding in fairly deep snow? Sometimes in deeper snow when you lean back to keep the nose up your rear thigh will burn and you can get a weird stretch out of the outside of your left shin, if you are regular. When you lifted your toes was the pain in your shin, ankle or top of your foot?

Just picked up a 143 Atomic Vantage board with Freeride bindings for $200. I might Frankenstein Burton Capstraps and Burton ankle straps for faster in/out, or replace them with Flow bindings altogether.

I bought a pair of used Flow bindings. The ease of getting in and out of the bindings on the hill is amazing. It took some tweaking to get it just right but once the toe straps are dialed in you don't need to mess with them. Just pop the lever on the highback, and it opens up. I'm halfway down the run before any of my friends have even begun.

I bought a pair of used Flow bindings. The ease of getting in and out of the bindings on the hill is amazing. It took some tweaking to get it just right but once the toe straps are dialed in you don't need to mess with them. Just pop the lever on the highback, and it opens up. I'm halfway down the run before any of my friends have even begun.

The technology, and Flow, have been around for years and finally is catching on. They were derived from a windsurfing binding/ strap system.

Yeah I picked up snowboarding last year, got money for a board this year. Gunna go pick up something this week, any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Burton I think.

Yeah I picked up snowboarding last year, got money for a board this year. Gunna go pick up something this week, any suggestions? I'm leaning towards Burton I think.

Im in the same boat...My board is about 4-5 years old and had a "little accident" with the rear wheels of my truck....I have been looking into new boards and am completely lost!

man i can't wait to board again this year

its snowing right now for the first time and i'm getting pretty amped. gonna head out to the hills in a couple weeks once it gets cold.

you cant go wrong with a burton board. mind you i've had my option v2 for 10 or more years and its a clutch performer

getting back into it after a 10 year hiatus so I need new everything haha. My Christmas present from the rents is a 3 day trip to Holliday Valley in New York next month. Getting some basic snow gear to get me through this season and if stay with it will upgrade next year.

Update: my board, bindings and boots came today. Galactic snow sports sells used packages for in theory decent prices.

Here is the set up.

Board = Ride Fleetwood

Bindings= Salomon SP1

Boots= Burton Progression

The package was $130 and shipping was $40

Update: my board, bindings and boots came today. Galactic snow sports sells used packages for in theory decent prices.

Here is the set up.

Board = Ride Fleetwood

Bindings= Salomon SP1

Boots= Burton Progression

The package was $130 and shipping was $40

That seems like a really good deal, you should get a lot of use outta that setup! Honestly I can't tell that much of a difference in mid end to high end boards, but I mostly love to just ride, not a park kinda guy...

So I'm starting my first snowboarding lesson next Saturday and thought I should read up on some thangs.

Anyone know of a good and reputable snowboarding forum?