Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cams

"Price point" vs. expensive OPS

So, on my way home from work yesterday I stop at my LHS, the one I just bought my skates at. Wanted to check out the One 90, One 70, and RBK 7K ops. One 90 are still priced at $249CDN. One 70 are $149, and the RBK 7K Sickick were , I think $189??. Are these good prices?????? They had the ugly 9K for $149 also....what a nasty looking twig! To give you an idea the top end sticks (S17 - $289, One 95 - $249 or 289), but had good stock. Seeing as there are 5x as many lh sticks to choose from, the rh that I need were limited selection, but did find an option I might like in the One 70, and also in a NBH XVI, these were $99. What you all think?

While the One90 is still a high end stick, there's no way it should be priced the same as the One95. The rest of the prices sound about right from where I'm from. If you can find the curve and flex you want in a low end stick, then by all means opt for that one.

So...grabbed my new ops today. Ended up with an '07 (I think) model Inno MegaLyte. Clearance for $79CDN. Seemed like a higher end stick from what I was told, not top end mind you, nice and light, 85 flex and Kovalev pattern (very close to Drury). Not sure when I'll try it out first, but my search is over. :)

So...grabbed my new ops today. Ended up with an '07 (I think) model Inno MegaLyte. Clearance for $79CDN. Seemed like a higher end stick from what I was told, not top end mind you, nice and light, 85 flex and Kovalev pattern (very close to Drury). Not sure when I'll try it out first, but my search is over. :)

If you face this problem again, hop the border to detroit, head up to livonia, about 35 minutes from the ambassador bridge, where peranis is practically giving away the inno maniac pro (warrior dolomite in a future life) for $50 USD. No one will buy them because it looks like a knock off NBH XXX.

I'm going to sound like a broken record b/c whenever someone brings up the inno sticks I have to reply (seriously, do a search). I use the Megalyte right now and I also have a price-point Easton. The difference between the two is night and day. The Megalyte is a very serious stick for the money. If people would try these out and not care about the name brand these would sell out in an afternoon. For $79 you can't find a better deal.

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I'd post this question in this thread...

It's sort of a two parter...

First, What is the most you've ever spent on a stick? What is your pricing comfort zone, if it's a stick you really want?

Second, and I'm most interested in hearing the answers on this...

You're looking at a particular model of stick: Would you spend $180 on the exact pattern you wanted, or spend $105 on a pattern you've never used but is on clearance? Again, same exact stick, only thing different is the price/pattern.

Rather than start a new topic, I thought I'd post this question in this thread...

First, What is the most you've ever spent on a stick? What is your pricing comfort zone, if it's a stick you really want?

You're looking at a particular model of stick: Would you spend $180 on the exact pattern you wanted, or spend $105 on a pattern you've never used but is on clearance? Again, same exact stick, only thing different is the price/pattern.

I have never spent up to buy the newest, latest and greatest OPS. I'd say that the most I've spend on a stick was around $130. I'd likely spend the $105 if the other pattern was one that seemed close (especially in terms of lie and curve depth). If it was a big difference, I might spend the extra cash (unless you're a stick breaker).

Used to pay full Canadian price for sticks until I discrovered this site, pro-stocks and a bunch of other great deals that can be found instead of paying retail. The most I have ever spent on a stick was about 350$ which was when the Synergy Si-core first came out( Yeah I know, f'ing crazy) Now, I dont like paying for than a 100$ for a stick. In reccent years, the most I think I paid for a stick was 110$. I like to try and change patterns often, so pattern isn't that much of a big deal to me. I have tried so many different patterns, and I still can't pick one as a favorite.

I think the most I've spent on a stick is around $100CDN, I usually found the pro stock closeouts at National Sports, or good old stock higher end sticks or shafts around town. One purchase online at HG was $89 US for a XXXX. I have a US location I can have goods shipped to, as well as family that helped me out buying it. :)

I would say the $100-115 would be my comfort zone ceiling as far as price goes, as that is what I can afford presently.

As for the pattern question: I would take the lower priced one, on the condition it was very similar to my Drury pattern. I am not sure if I could do a drastic change in pattern, but I suppose I might be open to experimenting. I would find it difficult finding out a new pattern wasn't for me after dropping good money though.

Most I've spent was $150 on a Dolomite, otherwise it's usually around $100.

I've only used a couple price point sticks, the Bauer Endure (not bad, just super stiff) and the Vapor XXV (good shot but terrible feel).

Since I switched to composites in 2007, I have owned 3 sticks, 2 were price points and one was an Easton Synergy ST that I'm pretty sure was the top of the line ST, I don't think there were lower levels of it. All cost $100 or less, my ST was amazing, my Stealth S11 is a very good stick that has lasted me since Sep. 2008, and my RBK 4k was complete garbage. That being said, I am thinking that I will switch to out of date top of the line sticks, such as the two I currently have my eye on, the Mission Titanium and the Warrior AK27 gold and black version from a couple years ago. both can be had for less than $120, and I'm going to start trying to find deals like those from now on.