Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiSeOnFiRe

The Clemmenson/Brodeur Issue.

Don't think so...no way Jersey has Clemmenson after the deadline. His value is far too high to keep him in the AHL.

For some more insight on why Clemmensen was sent down and what the Devils' plans are:

Clemmensen did not have to clear waivers to be sent down because he was on emergency recall after Brodeur's injury. He would have had to clear waivers to be sent down, however, if the Devils decided to keep him for a while after Brodeur was activated.

After March 4, Clemmensen could be called back up and would not have to worry about being sent down without clearing waivers again.

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/02...not-bitter.html

And Weekes would have had to clear waivers to be sent down.

Lamoriello would not say he was actively shopping Clemmensen in a trade, but did not rule out moving him before March 4 either.

"It's not a case where you try to do anything," Lamoriello said. "If there's something that comes about that will make our team better, then you do what is necessary to do. But it's not something that you just want to do. Scott gives us depth at the position and he's proven he can do what he did. But that's not saying something couldn't happen."

Lamoriello explained that it was not ideal to have three goaltenders in practice. That was also a factor in the decision.

"When you look at three goaltenders, you cannot give them enough ice time to do the things that are necessary to be ready to play," Lamoriello said. "That would have been unfair to the coaches if that decision were made and that's a decision I had to make."

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/02...owell.html#more

i think they should have sent weekes down to the minors and kept clemenson up with them, he played the majority of the games while marty was out. he seems to have played better also.

i think they should have sent weekes down to the minors and kept clemenson up with them, he played the majority of the games while marty was out. he seems to have played better also.
It's dumb to carry 3 goalies, and Weeks would have had to gone through waivers...Clemmy could go back down without going through waivers.

The situation sucks, but it is what it is. The guy was awesome between the pipes the last few months - far beyond anything that I could have expected from him. Golf clap for Clemmer.

One away from being the second man in history to break the century mark for shutouts.

Yeah, the career wins mark is a big one on the bench, but look where Roy is on the shutouts list and realise how unbelievably good Brodeur has been for how long.

Unless his arm falls off, he's going down as the greatest of all time, despite those who have regarded him as a stylistic anachronism in the 'Butterfly Age' for the last decade or so. Proof positive that goalies are athletes first, systematic puck-blockers second.

Unless his arm falls off, he's going down as the greatest of all time, despite those who have regarded him as a stylistic anachronism in the 'Butterfly Age' for the last decade or so. Proof positive that goalies are athletes first, systematic puck-blockers second.

Even if his arm falls off he would still be the best of all time. He's not only a great goaltender but he's a winner as well...at ALL levels.

Forget giving him some time to get back into it - this guy is a machine.

Side Note: Glad I kept on my fantasy team/picked him up in sportingnews pool.

I was at the game last night, and it was so good to see him back. As a Devils fan I am so incredibly spoiled, getting to watch him play every night.

He has 3 shutouts in 11 games so far this year, while Clemmensen had 2 in 40 games. Quite the difference.

I was at the game last night, and it was so good to see him back. As a Devils fan I am so incredibly spoiled, getting to watch him play every night.

He has 3 shutouts in 11 games so far this year, while Clemmensen had 2 in 40 games. Quite the difference.

as a devils fan you should be offering clemmenson fellatio for saving your season.

As a Devils fan I would definitely offer that guy to fellate him for what he did this season. Grenade. Jump on it.

How's this for hockey karma.....after all that time away...If this pace/streak keeps up...Marty can tie the wins record in Montreal next weekend.

Some interesting facts came up during the Leafs/Devils game.

Marty has allowed 1 goal 227 times...WOW!

And, of his 100 SO's...3 have been against Toronto...but, he's allowed 6 goals 9 times in his career...and 2 of those are against Toronto. Weird.

Anyone else hear the rumor that Lou was looking to move Clemmenson? I'm sure he wanted to be moved too, but any details as to what they were looking for? The poor guy has solidified himself as an NHL starter, only to be back on the bench...

Say what you will but Brodeur definitely benefited from a defensive system where he saw limited shots at him, also he was in a much weaker conference. I'm not taking anything away from he cause he still had to win the games but I'm just saying some food for thought..

Yeah cause he didnt face guys like Mario, Jagr, Francis, Straka, Gretzky,Kovalev, etc. and some of these new pups by the names of Staal, Crosby, Malkin, Richards.. in his conference.

If your going to say anything it has to be the system. He faced plenty of big guns night in and night out.

Say what you will but Brodeur definitely benefited from a defensive system where he saw limited shots at him, also he was in a much weaker conference. I'm not taking anything away from he cause he still had to win the games but I'm just saying some food for thought..

Those points have been made before and they're no more valid now.

The Devils' system may have limited the number of shots and chances, but the ones that did get through were by definition game-breakers. His defence was built to break but not bend: it denied everything except a handful of huge chances. The mental toughness required of a goalie who plays on a team like that is insane. What he should have had were a good number of wins but relatively few shutouts; instead, he's going to surpass the benchmarks in both categories within a few games of on another. Those proportions are absolutely mad.

He also played through one of the relatively high-scoring eras in league history. Compare the across-the-board numbers to when Sawchuck and Benedict played, and Brodeur looks even more impressive.

As for his being the weaker conference, his Stanley Cup rings have something to say about that.

Say what you will but Brodeur definitely benefited from a defensive system where he saw limited shots at him, also he was in a much weaker conference.

As a Devils fan surrounded by the bitter and jealous (and often ignorant) fans in Buffalo, I hear that argument all the time. When I was a little kid, I used to take offense and jump to his defense...but now I just laugh, shake my head and then walk away.

If you want to deny the fact that you're lucky enough to be able to watch a guy who I would argue is absolutely cemented in the Top 3 Goaltenders of All-Time (and one could make a very strong argument that he stands alone atop that list already), well, that's your loss. I was barely out of diapers when he first came into the league...I feel very fortunate that I've been able to grow-up watching hockey history.

The man has stolen championships for his team. Not "games"..."championships." He has carried that team into the playoffs on his back on more than one occasion and has been The Difference in many of the series they have taken, and some of his best seasons have come AFTER the dismantling of their defensive corps (when guys like Niedermayer and Stevens were gone). His presence alone has taken "bad" teams and turned them into "playoff" teams...taken "playoff" teams and turned them into "contenders"...taken "contenders" and turned them into "champions."

Say what you will but Brodeur definitely benefited from a defensive system where he saw limited shots at him, also he was in a much weaker conference.

As a Devils fan surrounded by the bitter and jealous (and often ignorant) fans in Buffalo, I hear that argument all the time. When I was a little kid, I used to take offense and jump to his defense...but now I just laugh, shake my head and then walk away.

If you want to deny the fact that you're lucky enough to be able to watch a guy who I would argue is absolutely cemented in the Top 3 Goaltenders of All-Time (and one could make a very strong argument that he stands alone atop that list already), well, that's your loss. I was barely out of diapers when he first came into the league...I feel very fortunate that I've been able to grow-up watching hockey history.

The man has stolen championships for his team. Not "games"..."championships." He has carried that team into the playoffs on his back on more than one occasion and has been The Difference in many of the series they have taken, and some of his best seasons have come AFTER the dismantling of their defensive corps (when guys like Niedermayer and Stevens were gone). His presence alone has taken "bad" teams and turned them into "playoff" teams...taken "playoff" teams and turned them into "contenders"...taken "contenders" and turned them into "champions."

+ 1000000.00

According to the argument of Brodeur benefiting from a defensive system, then Roy benefited from having offensive juggernauts on his team (sakic, Foppa) and an overall dominant Canadians team.

It's a non-issue. Once he's ready to play Marty will get his job back. He may not play almost every single game like he has in years past (depends on how he/Clemmer/the team are doing), but he will certainly be the starter going into the playoffs.

Clemmensen has been very good, but if you watch all the games you see the difference between him and Marty. Clemmer is great at stopping the first shot, but his rebound control leaves a lot to be desired (though I have to say, the last two games he's been better). With Brodeur rebounds get directed safely into the corner or to one of his defensemen. And of course there is the difference in puck handling.

Brodeur had his first practice with the full team today (he was ready a few days ago, but the team didn't practice). Plans are for him to travel to Florida with the team and get in some more practice on the road trip, and the best guess for his return is 2/26 against the Avalanche. That gives him over a month to get back into game shape and get ready for the playoffs. Also, when the surgeons went in to repair his bicep they said it was already 80% torn before he finally tore it completely, so I have to imagine with it fully healed he should be good to go.

Couldn't agree more. I'm really happy Clemmensen has been able to step up and play as well as he has, but the fact is if you watch him I don't think inspires a true feeling of security because of the way he plays. His rebound control is better than it used to be but it is not eve close to what Marty brings. When Marty plays you just know that he is thinking on an entirely different wave length than most goaltenders and can just determine where he wants that rebound to go.

That net will always be Marty's until the day he decides to give it up.

How can you compare a Team Canada starting goalie, almost yearly all star player, plays 70+ games a year and is always among nhl elite goalies if not best even in his mid 30's, to a guy whos a mere backup and just fills in? You cant. But considering the facts, Clemmensen has been great in my opinion, i was surprised. I really didnt expect Clemmensen to do anything this season honestly because hes been rarely tested and pretty much just rode the bench, and yes his rebound control in comparason to Marty's isnt great but i watched the last few devils games and i really think hes come a long way from even last year. He deserves to play and theres no way you can get better on the bench.