Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiSeOnFiRe

The Clemmenson/Brodeur Issue.

So, with Clemmenson getting his second shutout in a row, against the Bruins no less, how do you think the Devils management should approach this situation? If it were me running the show, id ride the hot hand to the playoffs. No offence marty, the job is your's next year, but id have a hard time putting clem on the bench and have Marty, who is probably out of shape and need to get back into the flow of things on the ice for the rest of the season. What would you do? Clem has a .922 Sv% with a 2.23 GAA

If you follow the old adage that you can't lose your job to an injury...then Marty goes back in. If he travels with the team and takes part in full speed practices, then I think he should play.

Let's not forget...He's Martin freakin' Brodeur!

Even though Clemmenson has played well...I don't think there has ever been any delusions that he would replace Marty as the #1. Now, if Marty looks shaky or rusty...there could be a short hook on him. But, going forward...it's Marty's net until he shows he can't do it anymore.

I agree with Radio, it is Marty's net, and that means it's his to lose. Hoping Brodeur gets enough games in before the deadline, if he comes back and is playing well they've got some options. I know it always doesn't work this way but after Clemmensens performance I would go to him (if Marty is 100%) and give him the option, say hey you've played great if you want to stick with the team and backup Marty you're welcome to it, but if you want the chance to play then we'll open the market up for you. That's what I think the noble thing to do would be but the world doesn't work on noble anymore and it is a business and I'm interested to see what happens in Jersey.

I agree with Radio, it is Marty's net, and that means it's his to lose. Hoping Brodeur gets enough games in before the deadline, if he comes back and is playing well they've got some options. I know it always doesn't work this way but after Clemmensens performance I would go to him (if Marty is 100%) and give him the option, say hey you've played great if you want to stick with the team and backup Marty you're welcome to it, but if you want the chance to play then we'll open the market up for you. That's what I think the noble thing to do would be but the world doesn't work on noble anymore and it is a business and I'm interested to see what happens in Jersey.

I don't see Clemmy being moved...remember Carolina? 2 goalies playing well going into the playoffs is a very very unique situation. I think Marty & Lou both know that his days of playing 70-75 games is probably gone...If anything, I think Clemmenson's play almost guarantees him a re-signing and raise in Jersey...and the knowledge that Marty will sit 20-25+ games next year.

It's a non-issue. Once he's ready to play Marty will get his job back. He may not play almost every single game like he has in years past (depends on how he/Clemmer/the team are doing), but he will certainly be the starter going into the playoffs.

Clemmensen has been very good, but if you watch all the games you see the difference between him and Marty. Clemmer is great at stopping the first shot, but his rebound control leaves a lot to be desired (though I have to say, the last two games he's been better). With Brodeur rebounds get directed safely into the corner or to one of his defensemen. And of course there is the difference in puck handling.

Brodeur had his first practice with the full team today (he was ready a few days ago, but the team didn't practice). Plans are for him to travel to Florida with the team and get in some more practice on the road trip, and the best guess for his return is 2/26 against the Avalanche. That gives him over a month to get back into game shape and get ready for the playoffs. Also, when the surgeons went in to repair his bicep they said it was already 80% torn before he finally tore it completely, so I have to imagine with it fully healed he should be good to go.

with about 25 games left, if Marty wants to play 24 of them I don't really see them saying no, but of course this will all come down to how well he plays

Clemmenson has played great this year for the Devils, he really stepped up and filled in for Brodeurs absence. I think they should give Brodeur a few games to give Clemmenson a rest, why would you sit him out for a long period of time when he is on such a roll.

I've been much more impressed with the way the team as a whole has been playing in Marty's absence. I don't want them to sit back and become a defensive team again, and if keeping Clemmensen in net, then thats what they'll have to do until the end of the season.

Then again, Clemmensen hasn't played many play-off games and therefore its unpredictable how he will perform.

It's a non-issue. Once he's ready to play Marty will get his job back. He may not play almost every single game like he has in years past (depends on how he/Clemmer/the team are doing), but he will certainly be the starter going into the playoffs.

Clemmensen has been very good, but if you watch all the games you see the difference between him and Marty. Clemmer is great at stopping the first shot, but his rebound control leaves a lot to be desired (though I have to say, the last two games he's been better). With Brodeur rebounds get directed safely into the corner or to one of his defensemen. And of course there is the difference in puck handling.

Brodeur had his first practice with the full team today (he was ready a few days ago, but the team didn't practice). Plans are for him to travel to Florida with the team and get in some more practice on the road trip, and the best guess for his return is 2/26 against the Avalanche. That gives him over a month to get back into game shape and get ready for the playoffs. Also, when the surgeons went in to repair his bicep they said it was already 80% torn before he finally tore it completely, so I have to imagine with it fully healed he should be good to go.

Couldn't agree more. I'm really happy Clemmensen has been able to step up and play as well as he has, but the fact is if you watch him I don't think inspires a true feeling of security because of the way he plays. His rebound control is better than it used to be but it is not eve close to what Marty brings. When Marty plays you just know that he is thinking on an entirely different wave length than most goaltenders and can just determine where he wants that rebound to go.

That net will always be Marty's until the day he decides to give it up.

with about 25 games left, if Marty wants to play 24 of them I don't really see them saying no, but of course this will all come down to how well he plays

I disagree. This allows them to slowly work marty back into the lineup and be very careful with his recovery. The last thing you want is for Brodeur to overexert himself and clemmenson to lose his feel sitting on the bench for a month straight.

I'll take an example from another sport

SF 49ers, Joe Montana goes down after a hit from Leonard Marshall sending the Giants to the Superbowl. After the legend returned from injury though, he was traded as Steve Young already moved into starting QB position

That same season, Phil Simms went down, lost his job to Jeff Hostetler

Both Montana and Simms were great QBs and were the face of their team, just like good ol Marty Brodeur.

I say ride the hot goalie, not sure what most coaches would say though

SF 49ers, Joe Montana goes down after a hit from Leonard Marshall sending the Giants to the Superbowl. After the legend returned from injury though, he was traded as Steve Young already moved into starting QB position

Both Montana and Simms were great QBs and were the face of their team, just like good ol Marty Brodeur.

I might be mistaken, but didn't Simms get his job back after that?

I disagree. This allows them to slowly work marty back into the lineup and be very careful with his recovery. The last thing you want is for Brodeur to overexert himself and clemmenson to lose his feel sitting on the bench for a month straight.

oh dont get me wrong, I wouldn't condone that method nor think it would be the right thing to do, I was just trying to state how much pull Marty has and that the coach listens to him just as much as telling him what to do.

I might be mistaken, but didn't Simms get his job back after that?

Yeah I think he did.

Another issue I have with this, and seems like its a moot point since Clem was just sent down, but Steve Young replacing Montana is way different than Clem replacing Marty. Steve Young was a great QB future and Hall of Famer...

I suprised he didn't keep all 3 up, but I think you will see Lou trade Clemmonson or Weeks in the next week, he doesn't want to lose either to waivers, so sending Clemmonson down is the best option.

Clemmonson vaule right now is high, and Weeks is a very good back up for Marty(knows he will only play 10-15 a year and is cool with it), so I think he will trade Clemm.

"It's the best of all worlds, other than [for] Scotty," Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Wednesday. So then not the best for all worlds.