Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiami

NYC Thread

MSH'ers in NYC, let's get a thread going. Discuss rinks, LHS, leagues, open hockey, and whatever else relates to playing hockey in and around New York City.

I play both Chelsea and Aviator and have done Lasker a few times. I just hit the new City Ice Pavillion in Long Island City Queens, thumbs up there. Free parking and great ice, also easy access by subway. Has anyone hit the new rink in Flushing?

Who plays at what rink in NYC and why? What do you like or dislike about it?

What shop do you use and why? Likes dislikes?

I can't commit to a team/league at moment due to my fluctuating sched, so I catch Open as much as I can. I play on average 3 times per week split between Chelsea and Aviator. Each has its own strong points.

I like the 90 second buzzer at Chelsea to change lines, as it keeps everyone fresh and gives all equal ice-time. I like that you never know who you will come across at Chelsea. Went to catch a noontime Open session recently, and there was the Colorado Avalanche practicing on the adjacent rink, as they were in town to take on the Blueshirts the next night. Of course I had to watch a bit, so was late to the Open session. In the sessions there you will sometimes find yourself playing with/against a former NHL'er, or famous hockey-playing actors. What I don't like about Chelsea is the rule of full-face protection, as I prefer the half-shield.

Aviator is a cool facility. I always get a kick out of driving down the runway at Floyd Bennett to get to the rink. I actually got a speeding ticket on said runway, but that' s another story. Aviator is good ice and well lit. I like that their Open sessions are varied and flexible. You often get some very good players there as Junior players from the area (Applecore, Royals, Moose, Bobcats) will show up, as well as a lot of Russians, some of whom have played very high-level hockey, Olympics and whatnot. I also like that Aviator let's you go half-shield, or even just-helmet if you want to. The downside of Aviator is when it is a crowded game, and guys stay out there for 5 minutes coasting.

My LHS is Westside Skate and Stick. Good dudes, very knowledgeable and friendly. That is where I get sharpened, and they do it quite well.

Just bye-the-bye, I saw a show about Nick Fotiu tonight on MSG. Fascinating! Nick grew up on Staten Island, and only took up hockey at age 17. A Golden Gloves heavyweight champ, he decided to take up hockey at age 17. He would take a few buses and trains to get to a rink in New Hyde Park to play, travel time for him to get to the rink was like 3 hours. And he used to carry a hatchet in his bag while riding train cause it was the 70's in NYC after all. Long and short is that he ended up playing for NYR. That's dedication, and all his hometown boys got to watch their boy play in MSG. Kinda beautiful no?

All right, enough spouting off from yours truly. Let's fire up this NYC thread!

I play a ton at Lasker. My pads are the red/white/blue Battrams. I'm actually looking for a team if anyone can help me. I'm a DI/DII goalie at Lasker and when I've played at Chelsea, I've been pretty decent at the DII level.

I also play at Aviator for like the D league (uggh). The guys on my team are a great bunch and really, the fact that I love those guys is the only reason why I'm continuing with them. Unfortunately, my work schedule might make that impossible in the near future.

Forgot to add that for inline, I play in the MRHL (96th and 1st) goalie for the Terriers. If any of you are in that league and played yesterday (saturday), I was the goalie with the Tuxedo jersey.

Where is the rink in Long Island City? Im in Long Island, but myself and a few friends are looking for some new places to play as most rinks out here have done away with open sessions. We were thinking of hitting up Aviator, but we have never been there.

How much is the Long Island City rink and when do they run there sessions? Does it get crowded there and what is the turnout like skill wise?

Here is link for the the new Long Island City rink:

http://cityice.pucksystems.com

I caught my first Open session there the other night. It was not crowded, there were probably 16-17 skaters and three goalies. Cost was 25 bucks. Skill level was decent on the whole. They have noontime sessions all week, and one nighttime Saturday session. I hope they add more night sessions down the line.

Would also advise to check out Aviator. They have lots sessions both day and night. Skill level can vary, but you are more likely to find better skill-level at night when Junior players from the area often show up to play.

I play at City Ice in div. D3 and Ice House in div. 8B. I just signed up as a free agent at City Ice. I'm playing with a good bunch of guys and a girl! So far we're kicking some arse. Locker rooms are decently sized and pretty clean. Weird how you need to take an elevator to get from the locker room to the rink on the roof of the building. I noticed that its pretty hard to see the blue lines and other markings in the ice. Overall, its a good experience.

I used to play at Aviator. They have 2 rinks there. I played in a D5 (lowest), but it felt like it was D3 as there were an absurd amount of ringers and guys who don't belong in that div. Plenty of parking, ice can be choppy at times due to public skating sessions, but better now since there are professional teams that play there. My team disbanded for several reasons. Locker rooms vary in size.

Ice House in Hackensack, NJ is just a short ride away from the GW bridge. I got in through a friend and have been playing there for two years. Experience level is pretty even most of the teams. We plan on moving up a div. after this season which is almost over. They have a good pro shop with a lot of low-high end equipment. They also have 4 rinks. Lots of hockey gong on there. The locker rooms vary in size, but are kind of dingy. I play with a good bunch of guys and have alot of fun. Ice is generally pretty godd on most of the rinks.

I caught a Brooklyn Aces game tonight at Aviator, lots of fun. It is good, fast hockey at the Single-A level, so the players are 3 phone calls away from the Show. I heard that 5 or 6 dudes have already been called up to ECHL this year(Utah and Elmira). Would be great to see one of the Aces make it up to the Islanders, or hell, even the Bridgeport Soundtigers in the AHL. I'm kind of pissed though cause I learned that two days ago Ron Duguay played for the Aces on a one-game contract, and I would have loved to see Dooggie in action, especially at age 51. Did anyone see the game? Did he wear a helmet?

Speaking of NYR, I'm gonna make my Garden debut on Sunday after the Flyers game. I happened on the Rangers website a couple weeks ago and there was an offer for adult hockey players to play a pick-up game on Garden ice after the NHL game. For $499 you get two Club seats to the Rangers/Flyers game (worth like $450 alone), and then 30 guys get to suit up in full equip with complimentary light or dark NYR practice jerseys, and go play on Garden ice for 90 minutes. They provide refs, scoreboard, and a PA announcer. And I would imagine they play the Rangers goal song if you notch one. Remember that show Fantasy Island? Need I say more? Cue Mr. Rourke and Tatoo...

And by the way the $499 doesn't come easy for me as I got my butt whupped money-wise this year like most people. But like Tom Cruise said in Risky Business "...sometimes you gotta say what the fuck..."

Hang on folks!...I actually got that wrong about Doogie's Brooklyn Aces debut! It was not on March 12. It will be on March 21 at Aviator. The article I read on the Aces website was posted March 12, that's what made me get my signals crossed. So any Dooggie fans want to watch their boy play in a competative game, now is your chance. Tix like 15 bucks I think.

I play for the Fortis Bank Mustangs.

What do you do there? I have an aunt that works there. I tried to get a hockey team together at my old firm and it was just impossible not enough people that played. I always noticed that there were a lot of banks with teams at Chelsea Piers.

I usually play at Chelsea Piers. I actually happened to be at the pick up session that Friday and met Adam Foote. He was shocked that they charge $31 for open hockey at CP.

I did check out the LIC rink. The ice was pretty good and getting there was easy enough, but trying to hail a cab back into the city was a PITA.

Last I heard, the rink in Flushing has yet to be completed.

Have any of you guys been to pond hockey at Wollman? It's pricey but a lot of fun; I recommend it.

I usually play at Chelsea Piers. I actually happened to be at the pick up session that Friday and met Adam Foote. He was shocked that they charge $31 for open hockey at CP.

I did check out the LIC rink. The ice was pretty good and getting there was easy enough, but trying to hail a cab back into the city was a PITA.

Have any of you guys been to pond hockey at Wollman? It's pricey but a lot of fun; I recommend it.

Adam Foote ? What the heck was he doing there ? Isn't he in Colorado ?

He was there for pick up hockey but couldn't spring the 31 bucks. JK...........

Hockey ice time isn't cheap in metro NYC. It is expensive at all the rinks around here.

$31 for pickup hockey???? How long 3-6hrs of icetime???

You get to pay to park as well as pay higher than normal prices to play.

I grew up in NYC and played at the old Sky Rink, and some at the Piers, but I haven't skated there in a while.

Yeah, $31 sucks, but it's kept me grounded and I stick to low maintenance women now. : )

I remember paying $10 for pick up in AZ (of course that rink in AZ no longer exists-glad I moved when I did).

BTW Adam Foote and the Avs were there because the Avs had a practice there the day before they played the Rangers.

On the bright side the fee for league play is only about $400 per player (I think that's what I was paying for in AZ).

I remember paying $10 for pick up in AZ (of course that rink in AZ no longer exists-glad I moved when I did).

I was the $ collector for Terminal Hockey on Thursday nights in Low Tor rink in Garnerville/Haverstraw, NY during the 80s. We played all year at 10:30 pm to midnight. The party in the lobby during winter or the parking lot during summer could go to 3 am easy. I remember collecting $5 a guy for a 90 minute skate. We took 20 guys, only regulars. I still can't believe we only paid $100 for a 90 minute slot!! The Low Tor rink was taken down in the early 90s. Terminal Hockey survives in Sport-O-Rama in Monsey, NY. See www.terminalhockey.com for the crew that carries the torch these days.

Its been open since the middle of Feb. they have open hockey fri, sat nights ...and ive played there a bunch of times already even before it was open to the public since i know the guy running the rink.

I play for the Fortis Bank Mustangs.

What do you do there? I have an aunt that works there. I tried to get a hockey team together at my old firm and it was just impossible not enough people that played. I always noticed that there were a lot of banks with teams at Chelsea Piers.

Only 1 guy on the team works there, a bunch of them used to work there.

Its been open since the middle of Feb. they have open hockey fri, sat nights ...and ive played there a bunch of times already even before it was open to the public since i know the guy running the rink.

How are the Open games at new Flushing rink? Skill level? How many players show up on average. Thanks.

hey any NYC'rs here with a extra visor straight cut for sale pleaseeeee let me know I would love to buy thanks <3

Dude your not helping yourself. Just wait, your not too far. Just chill for a week or two find some interesting threads. Throw in your two cents, start an interesting thread. Before you know it, it will just pop up. Just chill, your gonna lose it before you get it.

Anyone been playing Open at World Ice Arena in Flushing lately? If so what is it like now?

I poked my head into an Open session a couple months ago, and only saw a few guys on the ice taking shots on a goalie.

Are the turnouts better now on the Fri or Sat game? If so, how many players show on average?

Thanks for any info

I know this is off topic...But do any of you NYC guys know anyone that works for the FDNY?...I mean like actully know someone, not my friends friend, or some guy down the street. I mean know someone personally....If so PM me please I have a questions....Thanks for the help...