Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guitarmy

2009 Formula One

More on the stupidity of the FIA and Formula 1:

Sebastian Vettel was penalized $50,000 and 10 spots for Malaysia for his little run in with Kubica.

Personally I think that the incident was just racing and if anything Kubica was at fault.

What does everyone else think?

I think Vettel should have let Kubica finish the pass, Kubica was far enough in front of him for him to concede the corner. Kubica probably shouldn't have attempted the pass and obviously Vettel had no space... but Vettel had a better angle at seeing the wreck coming and a better chance of avoiding it.

Vettel was clearly the slower car at that point in the race and Kubica would have taken him in the next three turns if Vettel hadn't closed the door on him. Having seen the race I'd blame Kubica, if anyone, but based on how Vettel was apologizing to his team over the radio after the fact I think he may have felt that the incident was avoidable and that he was responsible.

I think Kubica was more at fault than Vettel was. Kubica pulled slightly ahead but at the entry to the corner they were basically even. Unless the guy on the outside has a clear cut advantage, I'm of the opinion that the guy on the inside line typically has the right-of-way. Vettel could have slowed way down and let Kubica by, but that's not what he's paid to do. He's paid to fight for position and get as many points as possible. Plus he's a race car driver, it's not in his mentality to let someone by without a fight.

Vettel didn't really have anywhere to go other than off the track. Kubica didn't need to force the issue with 3 laps left. He would've got Vettel on that lap, or atleast into turn 1 of the next lap. Vettel was penalized 10 spots for the crash, but the fine was for continuing to drive with a damaged car. I think the fine is split between him and the team.

While I typically would agree with what you said, being that he could have avoided it and Kubica didn't push hard for the apex I think he should have given that spot to save the car. He knew he was beat and he didn't have a teammate ahead to protect. I think Kubica assumed he would have given up that position when he passed him up by half a car length.

Vettel got $50K and the team got another $50K for the incident (driving with a 3 wheeled car).

As for the wreck, I don't think a driver should have to resort to driving on the grass to avoid an altercation with another driver. Clearly Kubica could have dodged left and maybe still have ended up ahead of Vettel coming out of the curve. For Vettel, the only other option was to brake more and steer onto the grass. With the state of his tires who knows if that was even possible.

Side Note: I think having to use two different tire compounds is the stupidest rule in the book. Let them run what they want in qualifying and the race.

On the BBC feed, Martin Brundle and Eddie Jordan were saying how it was wrong of Vettel to apologize over the radio and to Mario Theissen because it's a sign of weakness, and puts himself at a mental disadvantage the next time he is wheel to wheel with Kubica. I think it was a racing incident, and both drivers are partly to blame. But I think Sebastian screwed himself by being the nice guy and admitting fault when he didn't have to; and I think his admission of guilt has a lot to do with the stewards giving him a 10 place drop at Sepang.

On the BBC feed, Martin Brundle and Eddie Jordan were saying how it was wrong of Vettel to apologize over the radio and to Mario Theissen because it's a sign of weakness, and puts himself at a mental disadvantage the next time he is wheel to wheel with Kubica. I think it was a racing incident, and both drivers are partly to blame. But I think Sebastian screwed himself by being the nice guy and admitting fault when he didn't have to; and I think his admission of guilt has a lot to do with the stewards giving him a 10 place drop at Sepang.

Bingo. If there's anything M.Schumacher taught us it's "run the other guy off the road and act like it was his fault" :)

Bingo. If there's anything M.Schumacher taught us it's "run the other guy off the road and act like it was his fault" :)

I've just spat coffee all over my keyboard, awesome post! Still remember the Austrilian GP at Adelaide in 1994 when Schumacher cut up Damon Hill causing both drivers to retire and utimately handing Schumacher the Championship.

What do you guys think about the Hamilton situation with him and the team being excluded at Melbourne? I just read up on the whole thing and I'm not quite sure what to think about it. Hamilton says that Dave Ryan basically told him to lie to the stewards and that he went along with it because he's a "team player." But now he's upset because he's being labeled as a liar? Well, you did lie to them, and if you're not a liar, why did you go along with it? It's kind of a weird situation. I can understand that going straight from your car to the stewards would be hectic, especially with how drained you would be after the race. But wouldn't you second guess the guy telling you to lie to the stewards?

On the other hand, Brawn is still looking like the fastest team in the paddock. I wonder what's going to happen when they finally rule on the legality of the rear diffusers? It's crazy how McLaren and Ferrari just can't seem to find the pace. After seeing them be fastest in practice, I expected them to make a splash in quali. Guess not.

I think Hamilton lying to the stewards is a sign that he's still a kid -- I bet you ten years down the line, he'd never do that sort of thing. Same deal with Vettel admitting he eff'd up over the radio in Melbourne. When you see these guys driving around at 200mph, you tend to forget they're just 20. They make dumb mistakes the same as anyone else.

I think there's a good shot at the Brawn/Toyota/Williams diffusers being ruled legal. The protests aren't that the diffusers are in violation of the letter of the rules, but that they violate the spirit of them. Of course none of the teams that are running the questionable diffusers were part of the working group that put the rules together, so you can hardly blame them for violating the spirit in my opinion.

I believe Hamilton when he said was misled by Dave Ryan. After Lewis got out of the car he told the press that he was ask by the team to let Trulli by, and the same thing was said by Martin Whitmarsh and Norbert Haug. I don't think Dave Ryan has any malicious intent against Trulli, he was confused by the safety car situation and wanted to be sure and "do it by the book". Hamilton seems to be the only one that knew the rules at the time, as he sounded very indignant that he had to let Trulli past. After the race I think Ryan realized that Hamilton should've been third, and that his instructions robbed Lewis of a podium finish. So he tried to take the law into his own hands so to speak, and tried to give Lewis back his deserved third place by lying to the stewards, which was wrong, but I can understand why he did it.

On the other hand, Brawn is still looking like the fastest team in the paddock. I wonder what's going to happen when they finally rule on the legality of the rear diffusers? It's crazy how McLaren and Ferrari just can't seem to find the pace. After seeing them be fastest in practice, I expected them to make a splash in quali. Guess not.

I don't think Domenicali is a very good team boss. I have never seen Ferrari make so many stupid mistakes than in 2008 and this year. With Jean Todt and Ross Brawn in charge you could be sure they would not have made silly mistakes like parking it early in Q1 that left Massa stranded at the back of the grid.

I think the Ferrari team needs some help in the leadership department. That was a huge mistake with Massa in Q1. If Melbourne taught them anything it's that they aren't the top of the class like they're used to being. It's not like last year were they could post a time in the first five minutes of Q1 and then park it until Q2. As soon as his time started slipping towards 5 or 6 with some unexpected names ahead of him they should have realized that the track was getting quick and got him back out on the track.

Then today in the race they gambled with Kimi's tire choice by putting him on full wet that were ruined after 3 laps because it didn't rain. It clearly showed that they didn't know what was going on. The other teams still pitted two more times and beat him handily. The Brawn team clearly shows the leadership necessary in F1.

So what do you guys think about the new proposed cap, and the possibility of a two-tier championship? Ferrari, Red Bull, and Toyota has gone on record to say they will not be on the grid next year if the rule stay the way they are.

Personally, I think a cap would never work. Too many loopholes and ways for creative accounting. And the teams that go under the cap will have a huge technical advantage. It's gonna turn the whole championship into a farce. Mosley has got to go.

There's no way it will work. To have a cap, every team would have to have to adhere to it. There can't be two sets of rules in the sport. I think this will finally be the end of Max Mosely. He is going to lose face either way. Hopefully it is enough to get rid of him although being photographed as a Nazi pervert didn't seem to do it so who knows. The sport can't survive without Ferrari either.

Renault says they'll withdraw if things don't change too. What exactly are the changes being talked about? I just stumbled upon this today. I didn't hear anything about it since I couldn't watch the last race, so I'm kinda in the dark.

On the other hand, Comcast FINALLY has Speed HD. F1 in HD!!!!

not to dampen the excitement too much, but while Speed is in HD, the Formula 1 broadcasts are not. Same for Moto GP. We started receiving Speed HD a couple of months ago, and I was excited too for HD on my 90"....but when the first race came on, it was not HD. You can search speedtv.com for the details, but basically the feed is stepped down for worldwide use. Sorry.

Well shit that blows. I've seen screen caps of F1 on Speed that was in HD, but maybe that was on Verizon FIOS or somethin?? Comcast's HD quality isn't THAT great anyways, but it's better than regular res.

I didn't say that the Australian GP was 1080i, I said it was in HD... and upconverted 720p is still HD. I did say that it was filmed in HD.

FOM actualy records F1 in HD at 1080i but Europe hasn't adapted HDTV as readily as we have. Therefore they downconvert to 576i ?? (PAL SD) and send that out to all the countries. SPEED upconverts to 720p. So we have a downconverted then upconverted feed, which downgrades the quality. I would guess that by 2011 we'll have true HD F1, maybe next year. FugiTV films the Japanese GP instead of FOM and they broadcast in 1080i only on FugiTV in Japan. The rest of the world gets the downconverted/upconverted feed again.

Renault says they'll withdraw if things don't change too. What exactly are the changes being talked about? I just stumbled upon this today. I didn't hear anything about it since I couldn't watch the last race, so I'm kinda in the dark.

On the other hand, Comcast FINALLY has Speed HD. F1 in HD!!!!

Check out www.f1-live.com. They have tons of news on all of the proposed regs for next year.