Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dw91

Tinting your own visor

All safety disclaimers aside, is there a way to tint a visor to your own specifications with like car window tint? I'd like to have a little bit of a tint, but not as much as there is on stock tinted shields. I'm looking at something a little hossa-esque, if that makes sense, only on a bigger shield than he uses.

but just window tint? on the outside or inside? i know that sounds stupid, but wouldnt it get scratched to hell on the outside?

I'm pretty sure he put it on the outside, inside would've been a real pain. To my knowledge he just laid it on, credit card and exacto knife style. Had some left over from his car and had some fun.

haha thanks, im probably just gonna pick up some for like $10 at local AHL equip sale at the end of the year and see how it goes, thanks

no shit? RIT die works on visors? i didnt think it worked on oakley's

as far as darkness regulations, I think you cant have tint at all in college hockey on full face shields, so this would just be for pickup. If i could find a tint that would make it look like ovie's blue iridium from the all-star game, that would be ridiculous

It was a big thing to do on a lacrosse forum I used to frequent, they'd all buy the Oakley football shields, mod it to fit and dye them to match their team colors and put them in their helmets.

Although lacrosse helmets having a cage completely attached anybody that played in a league wasn't allowed to wear the visor because it would be next to impossible for a medic to check their pupils for equality and reactiveness during a head/neck injury, being in EMT school I totally agree with the leagues not allowing it, but then again hockey helmets don't pose the same problem.

I sell Impact brand race equipment including helmets and shields. I'll have to check sometime and see if a helmet shield would fit the rough size of a hockey helmet, lol. They come in all sorts of colors; yellow and blue iridium, amber, smoke, mirror, etc. But they're pretty think; .125" polycarbonate I believe. You'd have to trim them and such so it probably would be a real pain to do. Plus there are holes in them for the pivots, latch detents, and tear-off post mounts. Here's my race helmet with the amber hi-res shield on it:

draftheader.JPG

And some of the various shield colors I have:

shieldprices.jpg

Wanna hook me up with one of those? I was actually looking at some yesterday on the internet. I've never had a chance to try one on. I'm going to start doing some SCCA club racing soon and need to get a helmet and a suit.

I am thinking about a super sport in flat black, but I may have to go a to a cheaper helmet since I'm broke lol

t1tan, can you give me the url for that lacrosse forum? im curious to see what they did. iirc though football shields are not the same design as hockey shields, as far as taper, thickness, etc, but i could be wrong

too bad someone doesnt make an aftermarket custom tinting kit for hockey visors :/

It was a big thing to do on a lacrosse forum I used to frequent, they'd all buy the Oakley football shields, mod it to fit and dye them to match their team colors and put them in their helmets.

Although lacrosse helmets having a cage completely attached anybody that played in a league wasn't allowed to wear the visor because it would be next to impossible for a medic to check their pupils for equality and reactiveness during a head/neck injury, being in EMT school I totally agree with the leagues not allowing it, but then again hockey helmets don't pose the same problem.

You still can't see the pupils through a dyed visor. The only option is to remove the helmet and that's a major no-no when treating a head/neck injury. There's a reason USAH does not approve them.

im just using it for pond hockey/pick up, and I probably wont dye it, that runs the risk of having a chemical raction happen. weird stuff happens when you mix chemicals with plactic sometimes, thats what i learned from advanced chemistry :P

t1tan, can you give me the url for that lacrosse forum? im curious to see what they did. iirc though football shields are not the same design as hockey shields, as far as taper, thickness, etc, but i could be wrong

too bad someone doesnt make an aftermarket custom tinting kit for hockey visors :/

www.lacrosseforums.com

You still can't see the pupils through a dyed visor. The only option is to remove the helmet and that's a major no-no when treating a head/neck injury. There's a reason USAH does not approve them.

True and I completely agree with not allowing them, but when it comes to EMTs treating a head/neck injury, if the helmet/cage/visor/whatever interferes with collaring, checking airway and breathing or administering ventilation/oxygen, we're going to position and hold the spine, cut chin straps, cut the cage off or whatever it takes, then gently remove it. But for any untrained person at the scene of the injury, like you said, major no-no, it's for us to do before back-boarding the patient and getting them into the ambulance, only then we'll check pupils, pulse, BP, etc...