Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiami

highest level you played at/what would you do differently?

Perrons' story is what keeps me going.

I have played AAA hockey my whole life(Since the age of 6) I was never one of the top players on my team because I was always nervous. I ended up getting a very good financial deal and went to a Division 2 new england prep school and have played varsity both years, logging in some good minutes. This passed fall I played on a top 10 Midget AAA team in the country. I decided after this Prep season that I will make the jump to juniors this year. Now at 16 I'm Trying to play in the EJHL, I have received some offers from empire Junior B teams but am waiting till I play in a couple showcases this summer to see if I get any other offers. I also train at Mike boyles, trying to gain some weight. If I could have done anything different I would have tried out for the national festival while I was young enough, because I feel like my name hasn't "gotten out there" yet. I realize the oppurtunity that hockey has given me so far in terms of education, and although it may mean less time to have a social life, I wouldn't want it to be anything different. My ultimate dream is to play NCAA Division 1, and I will work towards that goal until it is no longer possible.

If you're only 16 you could possibly still try out for this years Select 16's if tryouts haven't happened yet and you can definitely try to make next years Select 17's.

Played one year of decent hockey and a fairly high league the rest of the time. I think Im one of the few who would go the opposite way and play a lower league with all of my friends from school and such. I played house my later years and I had 100x more fun knowing I wasn't going to make the NHL and just having a good time with my friends.

if you want a story of will listen to me. I am 24, a late bloomer, after pee wee I never played AA, got cut and played BB (montreal). I then went to a number of showcases and ended up going to prep school. my first year there i struggled. My next year I hit it big after not taking a summer job and training and skating everyday and came back and was unreal. I then went to a Div 3 university in a top conference, but had a hard time getting solid playing time to rack up points, and thus they suffered. but from the second i went to prep i said i wanted to play pro and after my sr season in university i did. granted this past year the league i played in wasnt great i was still getting paid and had a huge amount of ice time, and perhaps the time of my life. I did well and next year I have offers already coming in, and nothing will stop me. Even when everyone said I was done, I didn't listen, just trained harder. Never give up on your dreams, because even with people down on you, its whats inside you that will take you to the next level.

Maybe it's not of my business, but how much do they pay you. Or maybe someone else can answer this question, how much do semi pro leagues or a good league like the ECHL pay?

I have a different take. I never played even a decent level of hockey as I hated playing as a kid. I was never any good and never enjoyed it. It was fun when I was little, but two hour practices every day when I was 8, 9, 10 years old just made me hate it.

Obviously it wasn't my choice, but I would rather have had maybe two 1-hour practices each week and then one game. Unless you're really driven as a kid (really rare), I don't know if you get anything other than burned out. Now I know I could have probably worked really hard and played maybe at JV level if I wanted to, which isn't the most exciting thing, but playing a sport in high school would have been really fun in hindsight.

The other thing I'd do differently is really take care of my body better in middle and high school, not eat junk food and drink soda like it was water in the desert, and not drink so much back then. I was pretty overweight and didn't drop off all those pounds until college, so my self esteem and confidence were pretty low until halfway through college. I think that would have probably made those years a little more enjoyable for me, and set me up for a healthier lifestyle as an adult.

But hey, make the mistakes, try to learn from them.

Growing up listening to my pops who used to yell and scream at me made me play the way he wanted me to play didn't get me anywhere but once I let my personality and confidince on the ice I became a hundred times better. At 5'7 not everyone can play like cam neely. Smaller guys are meant for speed scoring skating and all kinds of offensive talent ocassional fight or two. Quitting hockey after junior because I didn't belive I was getting anywhere was the best thing because I had time to stop and think about how to fix my game. My experience taught me a lesson that if I had a son who plays the game I'd let him have his own idenity instead of making it up for him. Pops was rich but stingy on equipment and summer hockey camps. If I could change anything I wouldn't listen to him lol. When I played aaa he made me walk on the highway with my gear after a bad game in woodstock. Now how is a 15 year old going to take that ? No hate towrds the old man but at least he got me into it.

Growing up listening to my pops who used to yell and scream at me made me play the way he wanted me to play didn't get me anywhere but once I let my personality and confidince on the ice I became a hundred times better. At 5'7 not everyone can play like cam neely. Smaller guys are meant for speed scoring skating and all kinds of offensive talent ocassional fight or two. Quitting hockey after junior because I didn't belive I was getting anywhere was the best thing because I had time to stop and think about how to fix my game. My experience taught me a lesson that if I had a son who plays the game I'd let him have his own idenity instead of making it up for him. Pops was rich but stingy on equipment and summer hockey camps. If I could change anything I wouldn't listen to him lol. When I played aaa he made me walk on the highway with my gear after a bad game in woodstock. Now how is a 15 year old going to take that ? No hate towrds the old man but at least he got me into it.

Damn toungesOUT I feel for you bro. I don't mean any disrespect toward your Pop, but I knew a LOT of parents whose overbearing approach stifled their kids' development. And it was usually as you just described. The father wanted the kid to play like a bruiser cause that's how he thought the game should be played. It was often the same with coaches. And when it's youth hockey, you have the luck of the draw as far as coaches. Some know what they are doing, but a lot of them don't.

What's a bummer is that you weren't allowed to go to hockey-school, cause at least in my experience, that is where I came across, for the first time, coaches who were good, smart, and encouraging. They were usually active pros who were earning some summer bucks. It was such a difference between the knucklehead youth league coaches who would scream at you like it was USMC boot camp, versus the hockey-school coaches who would patiently, and often in a fun way, challenge you to THINK about what you were doing on the ice.

If you do have a kid, and he or she plays hockey, I'm sure you will be an awesome hockey dad. And if you have a few extra bucks lying around, send that kid to the best hockey camp that you can afford. Proper coaching at the earliest age can make all the difference in the world.

this is my last year of high school varsity hockey then hopefully ill get to monte clair in NJ and play for them HOPEFULLY

i thought i was the only one from carteret that played hockey. wish i went to a high school for ice hockey.

Nice thread. I'm 14 and this summer I'm really stepping my game up. I'm going to be able to go on the ice 2 hours everyday this summer and I'll be practising my skills at home a few hours a day. I'm taking my shot at the OHL. This thread is great

Haha no I'm trying to make it. I still have a couple years till then. I'm no John Tavares. This summer is going to be a huge step in my development though.

tavares is good but you can be a better skater. lol.

I have pretty much the same sentiment as anyone else who responded to legiahockey.

I'm nineteen years old, and next year will be my second year of junior hockey, and my sixth season of playing hockey at all. I started playing in 8th grade, learned how to skate backwards freshman year, and played four years of jv at a school I should have been capable of playing varsity for. Here I am playing juniors though, not letting anyone but myself get in my way. You've got all the opportunity in the world to go higher. It's been my belief that if you can play at one level, with work and determination you can play at the next.

If I could change anything, I would have accepted a contract from a "jr a" team in an independent league when I was a freshman (the same year i figured out the backwards skating thing) and started playing forward at a younger age - I'm a big franzen type. 6'2" 240, built like a linebacker. I think it would have given me vital experience and lessons that I was forced to gain this past season, and made it so much easier to get into school.

As far as iamcanadian goes, lets just say I'm supremely jealous of you and the aspirations you have at 14. Keep at it kid, you'll get there if you want it.

**edit for spelling**

Im 15 play AA hockey for the IceCats(NY)...Dont have a big dream about making the NHL but anything can happen... Still have a lot of life ahead of me.. Im learning the game more and more every day to help me mentally and starting to get into that physical condition only at 5'5 115 lbs =] havent hit the growth spurt but im getting there..

Im 15 play AA hockey for the IceCats(NY)...Dont have a big dream about making the NHL but anything can happen... Still have a lot of life ahead of me.. Im learning the game more and more every day to help me mentally and starting to get into that physical condition only at 5'5 115 lbs =] havent hit the growth spurt but im getting there..

I was also 5'5 when I was 15, weighed about 128. The summer before my 16th birthday I grew about 5 inches. I grew about 2 more now I'm 17, 6"1, 155. Be patient about the growing, it will come in bunches trust me

5 inches thats a lot i'd be a lot more conifdent in the corners once i compare the size with others in my league.. i can deal with it

5 inches thats a lot i'd be a lot more conifdent in the corners once i compare the size with others in my league.. i can deal with it

Haha trust me you are. At first its kinda weird that you've grown so much and it takes some getting used to but its great in the end. btw nice signature i love ovechkin's quotes

I was also 5'5 when I was 15, weighed about 128. The summer before my 16th birthday I grew about 5 inches. I grew about 2 more now I'm 17, 6"1, 155. Be patient about the growing, it will come in bunches trust me

6'1 and 155? That's pretty lean hahah. You gotta start eating your chicken.

I stopped playing ice hockey when I graduated in '08. Now I play roller 3 nights a week and coach one morning. It's alot of fun, although I wish I didn't take high school hockey for granted lolol.

the best time to start working out in the gym is right now for all you young fellas because when puberty is around the corner your body is producing tripple the amount of testestosterone therfore you will be able to fill out your frame. some believe that working out will stunt your growth but its nothing but a myth. everyones body has a genetic clock and when your growth plates fuse up they are locked forever. work out as hockey players not bodybuilders. the better you do in the gym the more you will see your game improve. not only it will build you up but you are creating good habits at a young age. you have to be an athlete first to play hockey. so boys..work hard dont worry about how much you weight or how much muscle the guy next to you has.. fuck him.. work hard and good things come to those who have patience.

summer is here step up yo game playas!!!

6'1 and 155? That's pretty lean hahah. You gotta start eating your chicken.

I stopped playing ice hockey when I graduated in '08. Now I play roller 3 nights a week and coach one morning. It's alot of fun, although I wish I didn't take high school hockey for granted lolol.

Haha yeah I started hitting the gym pretty heavily last year, started out though at 6'1, 130.

But luckily I still have some filling out to do and I hope to be about 180 or so by the time Im 19

I'd love to be in your shoes, I'm 6'4" 230ish, i can't seem to lose weight, lol.

Last September when i left Jr A to go to school because i saw that i was the one in my graduating class not in university, now i have to prove my self as a 19 year old with experience in the league

i guess ill post here since i didnt look too hard before starting a new topic on this. I have little skill, but enough maybe to play hs this year. been playing bantam A1, like a single A team, and maybe plkay local beer league. I've been playing football lately and lifting weights a ton so I might go farther than I think