Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Dead hockey brands.

Like all businesses, hockey equipment manufacturers (and brands) come and go. Which ones are in the hockey graveyard? Here are some that come to mind, but I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy as this is what I have in my head with no specific source.

- Cooper (bought by Bauer, who was then bought by Nike). I still miss them.

- WinnWell (not sure what happened to them)

- Rawlings (did they turn into TPS/Louisville?)

- Ferland (now DR...is it just goalie now?)

- Brian's (in receivership)

- Hespeler (in receivership)

- Canadian (I use to have one of thier sticks, CCM/The Hockey Company may own the name)

- Micron (Anyone remember these hard shelled skates?)

- Titan (Do they still exist? I remember Gretzky's white sticks with red letters.)

What else?

Titan was taken over by CCM, they used to put Titan on the first series of Jofa sticks that went on the market but the Titan brand totally dissapeared about 3 years ago.

Flak - Was part or bought by the Bauer brand (like Micron) and dissapeared afted only a couple of years on the market.

I used to wear Microns....God I don't miss those.

I think Ferland still makes player gloves, and I know there are Ferland skates. The store where my girlfriends kids get their figure skating stuff sells limited hockey skates, but Ferland and Graf are the 2 brands they carry.

Canadien is still around..I've recently seen a OPS by them Price point $94.99

How about Artis???

They use to make sticks that Guy Carbenau (SP) used way back when.

Northland ... kinda coming back.

Sher-Wood was Making Chimo for a bit.

Fontaine ... the name is gone anyhow.

One other ... Torspo! Great stick.

Interesting about Cooper because at a discount store I saw Cooper running shoes. I thought they were found in a box that was collecting dust in a warehouse over the years.

Speaking of baseball, as I kid I remember getting a Cooper Black Diamond glove and I felt like I was king of the field with that baby.

Fontaine ... the name is gone anyhow.

The company, name and manufacturing facility in Sacramento, CA were bought by Hillerich & Bradsby (aka Louisville Hockey, now known as TPS Hockey) and the wording "Fontaine Technology" was used on Louisville's early shafts.

The main person behind Fontaine still works for TPS Hockey.

Dauost (sp?), Branches and Micron are brands I wish were around.

Daoust and Micron are still registered names by BNH. They still own the rights to those brands.

Branches is still in business, just not the hockey business. They make oars for rowing.

Riedell made a great skate. I still know people that skate on them. The just stoped making hockey skates.

The sweet ass Lang Skate!

Chimo

Victorville (sp?)

Christian

Branches

Riedell did make a great skate! Super durable, but heavy! I recall that they made some skates for some guy named Wayne Gretzky back in '91 or '92, but, they couldn't ever seal the deal. That was when Gretz switched to CCM.

Chimo was made by Sherwood and they slowly phased it out. It was meant to be their "low end" line, although quite a few NHLers used it back in the day.

As someone said earlier, Christian was bought up by Harrow.

The Vic name has been bought and is in use by the Forzani Group.

Like all businesses, hockey equipment manufacturers (and brands) come and go. Which ones are in the hockey graveyard? Here are some that come to mind, but I'm not 100% sure of the accuracy as this is what I have in my head with no specific source.

- Cooper (bought by Bauer, who was then bought by Nike). I still miss them.

- WinnWell (not sure what happened to them)

- Rawlings (did they turn into TPS/Louisville?)

- Ferland (now DR...is it just goalie now?)

- Brian's (in receivership)

- Hespeler (in receivership)

- Canadian (I use to have one of thier sticks, CCM/The Hockey Company may own the name)

- Micron (Anyone remember these hard shelled skates?)

- Titan (Do they still exist? I remember Gretzky's white sticks with red letters.)

What else?

The Cooper name is still owned by BNH and is licensed by ITECH for baseball, at least that is what I have been told. For hockey usage, BNH still controls it.

Winnwell I was recently told that Perani's bought it and plans to use it as a SMU line.

Rawlings left the hockey business in 1999 or so and were recently bought by K2. They arguably are the #1 / #2 baseball glove manufacturer in the world.

Hespeler is not in receivership. Huffy has shut down the division and that is all folks. They will continue to own the name until they either sell or license it.

Micron's only hard shell skates were the Quadraflex, as well as a lower end model for kids. Lange was the original hard shell skate and their name is too owned by BNH.

Titan was phased out by THC back in 2000/01. JOFA replaced the TITAN name on sticks.

Canadian is still used as a SMU line by THC for Canadien Tire.

The latest rumour on Brian's is that Brian Heaton may end up with the name, while the bank tries to make the creditors their money back one piece at a time.

My brother still uses his Daoust skates. They have to be some of the best made skates ever. I wish they still existed, because I would definitly get a pair. I was too young to get them before they shut down. Bauer/Nike please bring them back the way they used to make them. That would be AWESOME!

My brother still uses his Daoust skates. They have to be some of the best made skates ever. I wish they still existed, because I would definitly get a pair. I was too young to get them before they shut down. Bauer/Nike please bring them back the way they used to make them. That would be AWESOME!

IMHO, the 301 and 501 were the last great skates made. The 355 and 555 series were the first skates made on the Bauer last. It proved to be the end of the brand.

One of the referees finally retired his 301s and moved on to Graf 705. Things were so rotted I couldn't do any more holder repairs on them. They were being held up by stick tape...

There's a pair of 301s on ebay right now, was considering, but they are too big. I never got to try a pair, but heard good things from my dad. He also loved some old skates called Roo's?

Riedell did make a great skate!  Super durable, but heavy!  I recall that they made some skates for some guy named Wayne Gretzky back in '91 or '92, but, they couldn't ever seal the deal.  That was when Gretz switched to CCM.

They also made the first skate for Easton. I called them a few years ago to find out why they stopped making hockey skates and the guy told me that they were made too well and that they never wore out so no return customers. Too bad no one can make a OPS like that.