Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjtt99

Dead hockey brands.

I remember those Eastons...they were black with the E logo.

Didn't Emilio Estevez wear them in one of the Mighty Duck movies?

Remember FILA's skate?

You are correct! Yes, Gordon Bombay did wear them as the "original" coach of the Mighty Ducks.

FILA's skates were very comfy, but clunky, with that RIKE chassis on them.

I guess we could add Adidas to the list as I learned from an earlier thread they had some equipment used in European leagues.

I also imagine there were some groovy Russian brands around in the 70's but likely not sold in North America!!

This is a neat thread. I know some guys collect vintage hockey stuff, and you often see it on eBay. I'm just not a pack rat, and I have enough challenges with the wife by storing one set of smelly gear in the garage -- I couldn't imagine keeping a bunch of old stuff on top of that!

How about Royal. And i think i still have an old pair of SCRO pants lying around somewhere

Royal was actually Tackla's "U.S." line. I still think they were different, but, who knows.

SCRO originally made the Easton pants until they were transitioned over to Saw Sports, which, Easton purchased.

How about Royal.  And i think i still have an old pair of SCRO pants lying around somewhere

I remember Royal...sized like tackla...

How about Delta?

*edit - beaten to it

I miss Branches custom blades, and i really miss winwell bags. They made some real nice ones.

Anyone remember BiltRite? Im prety sure that was Mission thing.

The BiltRite name is one that has been guarded nicely by Mission. I wonder if they would come back into the marketplace with the name?

Their ads were the best though.

How about Royal.  And i think i still have an old pair of SCRO pants lying around somewhere

I remember Royal...sized like tackla...

How about Delta?

*edit - beaten to it

Woah! Delta! Now that is a classic! I remember the all white gloves with black graphics. Looked a lot like Ferland to me.

Yes kids, Delta was more than just an airline.

Not sure what this site is, but thought you Torspo fans might like it...

Torspo Hockey

I used Torspo sticks for a few years back in the late 80s to early 90s, but I eventually could not find them any longer and had to make a switch to another brand. Used to have great blades that were thin and had a lot of feel. I read on another site the they are now owned or are part of Kitchener but not sure if that is still true.

Not sure what this site is, but thought you Torspo fans might like it...

Torspo Hockey

I used Torspo sticks for a few years back in the late 80s to early 90s, but I eventually could not find them any longer and had to make a switch to another brand.  Used to have great blades that were thin and had a lot of feel. I read on another site the they are now owned or are part of Kitchener but not sure if that is still true.

Great link. I use to love using the stick that Mats Naslund has in that pic. The blades were thin and had so many layers that it was sick.

I didn't email the address at the bottom of the page but if somebody were really that interested in the brand then it might be worth a try. I looked all over the Kitchener site but never found a single mention of the Torspo name.

I may email them to see what comes out of it. I would not mind getting a couple of the sticks that Naslund is using. One of my favorites of all time.

I miss Branches custom blades, and i really miss winwell bags. They made some real nice ones.

Branches made great custom blades. I would love to find a composite blade that matched the custom woodies I had made way back when. The shape of the blade was actually similar to Hull's with the small, rounded toe and all. And I hadn't ever seen a Hull back then as I had these made some 5 years ago before all the pro blade pics turned up everywhere. One of these days I'll post pics of my customs.

Branches made great custom blades. I would love to find a composite blade that matched the custom woodies I had made way back when. The shape of the blade was actually similar to Hull's with the small, rounded toe and all. And I hadn't ever seen a Hull back then as I had these made some 5 years ago before all the pro blade pics turned up everywhere. One of these days I'll post pics of my customs.

Depending on what kinda curve you like you should check out the CCM Bonk. Same blade shape as the Hull (but not as drastic). Then again their comp blades arnt the best.

Man, the memories in this thread! I'm getting a little misty...

I worked at a shop that carried Jones protective gear. It was mostly knockoff stuff, one series looked like the old Flak shoulder pads, another like Douglas. Pricing and quality weren't bad, but they disappeared a while ago.

I have a few REALLY old brands... Johnson, my first pair of gloves... Northland sticks, at one time that's what almost everyone used, pretty sure I had one in mites... Wilson made hockey stuff for a couple years in the late 70s/early 80s, another one of my mite sticks... Adidas made skates way back when, too...

Just to clarify something, WinnWell Hockey and Cooper Baseball (and other outdoor sports) were owned by Irwin Sports, a division of Irwin Toy, based in Toronto. Irwin got those brands when Cooper was bought out by Bauer. Irwin Sports went under a couple years ago, that's when Itech got the Cooper baseball name. Now that Mission and Itech have merged, I hear baseball is no longer in their plans.

DR (DnR back in the day) and Ferland are both owned by Igloo Vikski, a Quebec-based winter sports manufacturer/distributor. Most of their hockey line carries the DR name now, except for skates and a few lower-end items.

Rawlings owned Vic in the late 90s, that's when the Rawlings name reappeared in hockey. Rawlings gear only lasted a couple years, and they owned Vic for a few more before running the brand into the ground and selling it off.

Bauer, Cooper, Tuuk, Lange, Micron, and Daoust were all part of Canstar, the company that was bought out by Nike. (Flak was a Bauer name, and Cooper had dissolved WinnWell years before.)

Koho, Jofa, Titan, Canadien, and Heaton were all part of the same company, through mergers and buyouts. That company was bought by CCM, creating The Hockey Company, now owned by Reebok.