Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ Thompson94

Good hockey books

I just finished "Jonesy" by Keith Jones and John Buccigross. It was a really easy quick read but I really enjoyed it. He had a very interesting story in the NHL.

Another good book I read a few years back was "Thin Ice" by Larry Sloman. It was about the crazy lives of the 1979 New York Rangers.

What hockey books can you guys recomend? A good book with interesting first hand accounts.

The Game by Ken Dryden is interesting, but the best beer league is Midnight Hockey by Bill Gaston.

Another interesting hockeylogue is The Tropic of Hockey by Dave Bidini.

MESSIER

Fantastic read that I will have to re-buy as I lost the bloody thing in a move. Great detail about the baby Oiler days and the 94 cup win with NYR. Best hockey book I have read so far.

I Just ordered two books from Amazon. I got "Networth: Exploding the myths of pro hockey" and "Losing the edge: The rise and fall of the Stanley cup champion New York Rangers".

I'll eventually get to "the game" and "thunder and Lightning". I'm really interested in "Thunder and Lightning" and "The Game" is apparently a must read for any hockey fan.

However, if anyone has or can find "The Red Machine: The Soviet Quest to Dominate Canada's Game" for a decent price please send me a PM.

I'll have to check my local library for it but I'd rather own it and I can't find it any cheaper than $59. Thats way too expensive for a book.

"Ice Time" by Jay Atkinson... good read.

Great book. I wholly recommend it.

It is hard to not mention either of Jack Falla's books, Home Ice and Open Ice. Both are true expressions of the game at its most pure level, and are all about why we love our game. Lastly, one cannot forget Travis Roy's truly amazing book, Eleven Seconds about his paralysis.

"The Code: The Unwritten rules of fighting and retaliation in the NHL"

Thought it was an interesting read becuase it's chock full of takes from current and former players on various scenarios and events (including the McSorley and Bertuzzi incidents).

Pride on the mount by John Gillooly (it's about mount saint charles academy, definitely a great read.)
Excellent book for sure, as is "Eleven Seconds."

"The Boys of Winter" is a good book as well. It's about the 1980 US Olympic team.

+1 Boys of Winter- It is a great read about the players and the game.

+1 Ice Time- Good easy read about the life of a high school hockey team.

I really enjoyed Rebel League. It's about the WHA. I also liked Zamboni Rodeo. It is has some interesting stories about a low rent minor league team in Texas.

+1 Boys of Winter- It is a great read about the players and the game.

+1 Ice Time- Good easy read about the life of a high school hockey team.

I really enjoyed Rebel League. It's about the WHA. I also liked Zamboni Rodeo. It is has some interesting stories about a low rent minor league team in Texas.

Zamboni Rodeo? About the Austin Ice Bats that were in the CHL. I've watched them play the Brahmas before, and my coach used to play for them. Thanks for recommending it, I going to pick that up.

recently finished reading Dave Hanson's bio. Great read. you will learn that he is not just known for the movie but was a really good player as well as a great team guy, and there are parts that you'll really get a laugh out of. I tracked down his E-mail adress from where he manages an ice rink (Robert Morris Univ), and I really want to shoot him an e-mail but don't want him too think I'm some kind of stalker. The Hanson bros performed at a game in wilkes barre where I'm a season ticket holder a few weeks prior to my reading the book but I wasn't able to make the game, which I am really regretting now.

We're getting ready for a rummage sale & I found another good one, They Don't Play Hockey in Heaven. It's about a college goalie who got out of hockey, developed a tumor, beat it & took one last go at hockey as an adult. It's not the top of the list of must read's, but if you've exhausted the others suggested here, then give it a go.

rtwng20, I did send the author of this book an email after I read the book, and he sent a reply pretty quickly. It just depends what you're saying.