Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovyperron5727

Using Lacrosse gloves?

So last night my friend and I were discussing gloves. One kid we played against once was using lacrosse gloves. He said it helped with the feel of the puck. The kid was a pretty good dangler too. So I wanted to know, is this just completely retarded or has anyone done it and it works?

are you sure they werent the one90 or one95 gloves? :lol:

lol thats what I first thought they were too. but they were shock doctor lax gloves if i remember correctly

Guy on my team uses a Brine set, but he was an ex-lax player turned hockey.

My guess is the guy obviously plays both and just prefers the feel.

and your wrists. Unless you tighten down those wrist cuffs your whole wrists are exposed. I've done it before and I agree you do get amazing puck feel compared to traditional hockey gloves; not worth it though.

If you like the feel, check out the One75/95's. They are similar to lacrosse gloves but they actually have some finger and wrist protection.

Seen several people do it through high school 2000-2004 and regularly see a guy at drop in nowadays using some older Warrior lacrosse gloves. They're really no different, just more flexible, mostly low density foams and usually no cuff on the inside of the wrist.

It's usually just a "look at me" type of thing from what I've seen.

Why would someone do that with gloves? The reason I and most would do it is to get a better feel of the puck

It's usually just a "look at me" type of thing from what I've seen.

Why would someone do that with gloves? The reason I and most would do it is to get a better feel of the puck

There is zero improvement in the feel with LAX gloves. I tried the pair that a guy on one of my old teams used. They were lighter but much less protective and were not an improvement over any good pair of hockey gloves

I once saw a kid use cricket gloves for protection. We had to throw him off the rink until he got real gloves...

0608000050056000.jpg

are you sure they werent the mylc gloves ? ?

Seen several people do it through high school 2000-2004 and regularly see a guy at drop in nowadays using some older Warrior lacrosse gloves. They're really no different, just more flexible, mostly low density foams and usually no cuff on the inside of the wrist.

Kid I skate with from time to time wears the same Warriors you speak of. All he says is that he is just used to em.

No, they were very old gloves that had no wrist protection whatsoever, plus they had the distinctive KOOKABURRA logo on them. ;)

No, they were very old gloves that had no wrist protection whatsoever, plus they had the distinctive KOOKABURRA logo on them. ;)

Haha this must be a pretty common thing is Aus and NZ i've seen it quite a bit too.

A lot of Lax gloves, over the last 5 years or so have moved to using mesh palms or at least partial mesh palms, which would definitely contribute to better feel for the puck versus hockey gloves with even a really thin palm like pro stock gloves. There's no doubt about the lack of protection though, you feel everything through lax gloves, with my experience, although I haven't dealt with them in 5 years. But I wouldn't want to risk having a stick or puck near freezing hit my fingers wearing those gloves. And as for the "look at me" thing, I think warrior's hockey gloves are probably just as, if not more so, flashy than their lacrosse gloves.

Dude, my arms and wrists got way more beat up playing college lax than hockey, lax gloves protect you more than enough for most casual hockey leagues (I mean, i don't wear them when I play, but they shouldn't be a problem), they just have really thin palms and will wear through really fast.

I would hate to take a slapshot off the back of the hand in LAX gloves.

Any decent hockey glove is going to have harder inserts whereby lax gloves are mostly soft and light all over.

No real thumb protection on LAX Gloves as well as no thumb lock so you can bend your thumb all the way back (crack, ouch, season over).

And remember, in LAX, you are not getting crunched into hard boards, glass, ice, etc. While you are getting hit and hit alot, they are usually glancing blows with their stick as you are running by the opponent. LAX fields are huge compared to ice rinks and you can avoid alot of contact by running into space if you want to.

But I'll tell you what, LAX can be pretty brutal even compared to hockey. The arm is considered part of the stick and they slash down on it pretty hard. But from experience, the heel end of a hockey stick coming down is much worse unless the LAX player is using a hard wood shaft.

Take a look at the brutality of this and tell me if these guys are not fricking hacks (note this is BOX lacrosse which is much more brutal and cross checks are allowed - the "pros" in this sport make $200 a game and get no insurance - things like broken vertabrate are common - and these guys pad themselves up with rib guards, etc. - except if they want speed, they take off most of the protection):

They look like a bunch of guys who sucked at hockey and took up lacrosse. I guess most of the Box hockey guys are Canadian too.

Now look at the difference and skill in field lacrosse (not nearly as brutal - here is where you can use LAX gloves):

They would be alright for a rec league. If anyone is playing high level hockey with LAX gloves its time to reconsider..

On the other hand, I've used LAX elbow pads for quite awhile and don't feel like they sacrifice too much protection if you get the ones with the plastic inserts.