Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RecLeagueHero

The Jason Stinson Trial

I know many hockey coaches that make kids skate until someone pukes. They brag about how many pukers they get in early season practices.

Under other circumstances that might be concerning, but let's be honest here. Most of these kids show up to early season practices (football, hockey, or whatever) very out of shape. When you're that out of shape it doesn't take much to get a few up-chuckers.

I know many hockey coaches that make kids skate until someone pukes. They brag about how many pukers they get in early season practices.

Under other circumstances that might be concerning, but let's be honest here. Most of these kids show up to early season practices (football, hockey, or whatever) very out of shape. When you're that out of shape it doesn't take much to get a few up-chuckers.

Umm, no

These coaches run the summer league teams and require off ice conditioning and weight training during those summer "rec" seasons. They also do it in the middle of the season, even if things are going well. They're just assholes.

Umm, no

These coaches run the summer league teams and require off ice conditioning and weight training during those summer "rec" seasons. They also do it in the middle of the season, even if things are going well. They're just assholes.

Then yeah, I agree that's an asshole thing to do. Kids should talk to their parents and the paretns should deal with the hockey association. Not a big fan of hazing in any form.

Even still, you're not going to get those kids in shape in the first week. Working a kid to puking sets him back more than it helps him.

Even still, you're not going to get those kids in shape in the first week. Working a kid to puking sets him back more than it helps him.

Exactly. A trained monkey can run someone into submission. Given all the information out there, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a legitimate conditioning program. As was pointed out, it's a football culture thing, but as Chadd noted it's not relegated only to that.

A high school coach around here uses a 5 mile timed run as his pre-season test. How a 5 mile run is related to hockey is beyond me, but just another example of someone without a clue to what he is doing.

Exactly. A trained monkey can run someone into submission. Given all the information out there, it doesn't take a genius to come up with a legitimate conditioning program. As was pointed out, it's a football culture thing, but as Chadd noted it's not relegated only to that.

A high school coach around here uses a 5 mile timed run as his pre-season test. How a 5 mile run is related to hockey is beyond me, but just another example of someone without a clue to what he is doing.

Commitment, it's easy to tell who's going to shit on the team when times get a bit rough if when told they are running a 5 mile timed fitness test they begin to complain, and give up.

Commitment, it's easy to tell who's going to shit on the team when times get a bit rough if when told they are running a 5 mile timed fitness test they begin to complain, and give up.

Is it used as a benchmark? For instance, if it was done before they do anything then again right before the season starts to show how far they've come?

Is it used as a benchmark? For instance, if it was done before they do anything then again right before the season starts to show how far they've come?

Who cares how far they've come? Hockey's an anaerobic game. I have plenty of benchmarks I use to evaluate my players' fitness, and none of them involve running long distances at moderate output, since hockey is not played in long stretches of moderate output.

People think "in shape" is some all encompassing state that applies to any sport. Long distance running not only doesn't help in hockey, it can be detrimental to speed development.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread.