Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MissConduct

FBV: Frustrated!

OUt of all of the sharpenings I have done, I have had nobody tell me that they fell because of it.

Soggy - you just can't skate.

LOL

By the third stride every one I have put on it has been fine. A couple guys went with more bite because I only have 100/75 and 90/75, but they have all stuck with the FBV. That reminds me, I need to order more spinners next week

My hollow of choice was 3/4" so I originally was on 90/75 which was originally an estimated 3/4", I told JR that I thought it felt like 5/8' after the first ice time. That being said, it gives you different feel/feedback on the ice. I was rather uncomfortable on a 5/8" hollow but I liked the 90/75 feel. Try some other FBVs if you're still having trouble adjusting and you'll figure out what you like best, it's a trial and error process.

just don't wanna spend $10 every other day cause I can't find the right sharpening.. <_<

I have to mail mine out to some outfit in New England :)

I was on 5/8" and went to 90/75 FBV. The tail of the blade felt a bit looser than I wanted, so then I went to 100/50. I like how it feels now, but I was never one of those snow spraying stoppers. I'm more of an old man glide and slide, so maybe that's why I'm not having the experience that you're having.

OUt of all of the sharpenings I have done, I have had nobody tell me that they fell because of it.

LOL

hahaha thanks JR I did like it for the straight ahead speed but the fall occured near the end of the skate and it did feel sharper then my standard hollow. But I'll just keep to my M-E

My hollow of choice was 3/4" so I originally was on 90/75 which was originally an estimated 3/4", I told JR that I thought it felt like 5/8' after the first ice time. That being said, it gives you different feel/feedback on the ice. I was rather uncomfortable on a 5/8" hollow but I liked the 90/75 feel. Try some other FBVs if you're still having trouble adjusting and you'll figure out what you like best, it's a trial and error process.

just don't wanna spend $10 every other day cause I can't find the right sharpening.. <_<

You dont have to spend 10. National now has it in Windsor and its 7. Unless you get a Skate card then its 5.

Ask Noel or one of the other daytime guys to do them as Noel doesnt have all the night time staff trained on it as of yet.

and yes 90/75 would be much better for you. If that doesnt work try the 100/50

LOL

hahaha thanks JR I did like it for the straight ahead speed but the fall occured near the end of the skate and it did feel sharper then my standard hollow. But I'll just keep to my M-E

Dont even try to blame the fall on the sharpening Sogster....LMAO>..

You dont have to spend 10. National now has it in Windsor and its 7. Unless you get a Skate card then its 5.

Ask Noel or one of the other daytime guys to do them as Noel doesnt have all the night time staff trained on it as of yet.

and yes 90/75 would be much better for you. If that doesnt work try the 100/50

Which National Sports?

Which reminds me..the only guy in town doing FBV charges $10...any timeline on National in Hamilton getting it?

On some new skates I have a 100/50 right now that JR did. I've used them 2 times on the ice. Unfortunately I found out that my LHS will be not be able to offer FBV until maybe January/February at the earliest. Since I am working on breaking these new skates in should I have them change them back to a traditional hollow right now or keep using with the FBV for a few more skates and then have to go back to traditional hollow?

Might as well keep the FBV as long as it lasts, it isn't going to hurt the breaking in of your skates. Different sharpen shouldn't effect your skating too drastically, you'll just notice less resistance when you push off with the FBV.

I have to say that I am pretty suspicious when people say the FBV drastically negatively or positively affected them. It's just not that different. I am not that great of a skater and when I tried FBV I had zero adjustment period. I like the FBV slightly better, but I have switched back and forth a few times and I never have had a problem going either way. Even if you're using a hollow you don't prefer, you should be able to adjust after skating around a bit. If you can't, then your skating ability / technique / adjustment to how hard the ice is may be a greater variable than the sharpen itself. I find that I typically notice the ice conditions more than my sharpening (unless something is blatantly wrong with my sharpen e.g. the edges aren't even).

Any sharpen that is at least straight shouldn't affect you terribly outside of forcing you to adjust to the increased / decreased bite.

I have to say that I am pretty suspicious when people say the FBV drastically negatively or positively affected them. It's just not that different. I am not that great of a skater and when I tried FBV I had zero adjustment period. I like the FBV slightly better, but I have switched back and forth a few times and I never have had a problem going either way. Even if you're using a hollow you don't prefer, you should be able to adjust after skating around a bit. If you can't, then your skating ability / technique / adjustment to how hard the ice is may be a greater variable than the sharpen itself. I find that I typically notice the ice conditions more than my sharpening (unless something is blatantly wrong with my sharpen e.g. the edges aren't even).

Any sharpen that is at least straight shouldn't affect you terribly outside of forcing you to adjust to the increased / decreased bite.

teh point is, why waste energy combating shitty ice or not having enough bite? you can use a different hollow to give you an advantage, less energy wasted pushing through, or having to worry about losing an edge when slamming on the brakes. but you yourself said you werent the greatest skater, so i guess 10% of slow is still slow.

LOL

I would confirm. Actually, JR did Stepsteel for me 90/75 and I tried it first time and actually in a league game. Switched from LSfusion ROH to Step FBV. I have not had any problems. Even though I anticipated them. I did not even have to get used to them. I got much better glide than ever before. They stopped just fine.

I would take it to Noel or Chris at National in Windsor and have them do the 90/75 . It isn't 10 and if you know the guys they may even do it for 5 for your first time. Sounds like they didnt get the edges even. Either way that shouldn't have happened. you should feel a little more glide and feel good bie from the edges!!

I concur nice guy but not so good at skating and i can say that because I am just as bad!!!