Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Perry94

Bad Habit

I've just realized that I have a really bad case of passing too much. Finally struck me when I had a partial break, looked up, saw a guy who LOOKED like a guy on my team, hucked it over, and found out that he wasn't...any sort of drill for that or is it just mental?

I used to do that, too. I was used to being the youngest guy on my team, so I just felt like I had to pass a lot. It developed into a bad habit, like yours. I eventually broke out of it when I was one of the older guys. Plus I really started working on my shot, so I want every opportunity to take it.

I play with the mentality of shoot first, but still manage to get a lot of assists. Its definately a mental aspect of the game. Even though your thinking your going to shoot every time you get a chance, you still will end up finding the open man when the play deems it necessary. I used to overpass to "beautify" plays, but now i just rip it at every opportunity.

It also helps to be able to make quick decisions on the ice. A lot of times i see guys think about whether they should pass or shoot on a 2 on 1, and they either lose the puck or get off a "pass-shot" thats essentially a pass on net.

Work on your shooting, if you're confident that you can control the puck and shoot it with pinpoint accuracy, you'll forget all about your bad passing habits.

Im terrible for this. Always look to pass first on a two on one, always.

Played for 17 years, and im doing it more than when i was midget/junior. I love scoring but like to set guys up. Get the tender moving rather than standing still

I have the same problem. I developed it from being the only guy on my team with any talent. Unfortionatly I didn't have enough talent to go end to end every shift so I'd just try to get it into their zone and set someone up.

-Edit: Oh yeah, advice... It could be a confidence problem. Often I'll pass it away even though I have a good scoring chance. I am really bad around the net so I'll just try to give it to the nearest player sometimes.

-Edit 2: I should read the rest of the posts before I make mine. Echo.

This is like an AA meeting. I thought I was the only one.

Hi, my name is James. I moved to a new place when i was around 14( my family moves alot) and i really wanted to make friends, because I didnt want anyone to hate me I ALWAYS passed the puck because I didnt want anyone to think I was a puck hog. It could have been a two on one and I would literaly try to pass it through the defencemans skates. Because of this, I went from an 83 goal scorer, to umm, 20 i think? Anyways, its sad. I recently just moved again and I decided... tonight before I read this post actualy, that in practices I will be a puck hog. I dont care what anyone thinks. this is my last year of minor hockey, I need to try out for Jr.A or something next year, so screw them. Iam in this for me and me only, I want to go far, in order to do that Iam going to be a puck hog with two on ones in practice.( not too much in the neutral zone and everything, you know what I mean). Hopefully some of that will transfer into my real game, and I will be better off.

I just think its totaly wierd. I was comming home from practice thinking about this tonight, then came on here and saw this thread.

I had the pass-too-much problem as well when I first started playing. Like Theo mentioned, part of it came from not enough confidence or skill with the puck under pressure. The other part was a lack of experience and knowing where everyone was on the ice (i.e. hockey vision).

What helped me was working on skating agility (tight turns, stop'n'go, pivots, backwards skating), solo puck drills/exercises (figure-8 around pylons, forwards/backwards w/puck). Start slow and gradually build up speed. You're going to lose the puck the faster you go but don't let these mistakes stop you: I found out that part of good puck possession is learning how to recover the puck if you've made a mistake or received a crappy pass. It comes in handy if you have an opponent trying to muscle you off the puck and you're able to recover and hang onto the puck long enough to make a *good* pass instead of a panic-pass (i.e. buying your teammates time to get open). And when you're more comfortable with puck hogging, play some keep-away during practice/warmup. And if you're skating towards an opposing D-man, don't hesitate or slow down, keep your speed and keep driving so he won't suspect right away that you're going to pass. Also, definitely work on shooting. All this should make you less predictable, and you'll always have the pass in your back pocket.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

" had a partial break, looked up, saw a guy who LOOKED like a guy on my team"

Sounds like you skate with your head down too often. You are not going to be able to see the whole ice surface, and know which of the 5 players are open, if you do not keep your head up. Also, you will get checked really bad that way. Practice stickhandling and passing with the head up!

If you have to see the puck from time to time, do so by using your peripheral vision as much as possible, not by turning your eyes down. That way you can look directly at your team mates socks, which should tell you friend from foe.

Man I just don't get you guys! I Had a problem a month or two ago thank god I weeded out where I would hog the puck from Neutral zone to slot/wing/wherever I managed to find my way and shoot. Most times there would be a player open that I could've fed with a mini-flip pass and he would have scored from the slot. I now have worked on things like delays, crossovers with a headman in the wing/just before slot zone.

Once you are comfortable with the guys you are playing with you should be snapping passes left, right and centre making the goalie move lat. wise all over the place. Our A grade goalie goes nuts if we don't snap pass and get him moving, he loves it when the intensity is full bore.

My juniors drive me insane with their lack of passing. It really isn't helped either with most state rep. juniors as well being major puck hogs. They all hold onto the puck and not a single player checks them! I can't wait till these hot dogs goto the senior grades and get nailed.

I've just realized that I have a really bad case of passing too much. Finally struck me when I had a partial break, looked up, saw a guy who LOOKED like a guy on my team, hucked it over, and found out that he wasn't...any sort of drill for that or is it just mental?

I got a solution, move to montreal and play on my line ;)

I probably have twice as many goals as assists in any given season.

Actually the real trick is recognising who has the best opportunity and making it happen...sometimes it's shooting or taking it in by yourself and sometimes it's passing..but the "read" is what's important, confidence or ego should not be the issue..just the "read"....Gretzky's greatest asset.

It also helps to be able to make quick decisions on the ice. A lot of times i see guys think about whether they should pass or shoot on a 2 on 1, and they either lose the puck or get off a "pass-shot" thats essentially a pass on net.

Very true, always think shot first, it's better to get a shot on net in a scoring opportunity than to miss a pass. if there is a good opportunity to improve that chance of scoring by passing it, do it then.

But if you have no confidence, then you always think the other person has a better oppertunity then you.

If you stop thinking about yourself..negatively or otherwise and focus more on what's going on..you will develop the ability to "read" the play better, and make the right decisions...if you are a lousy shooter/deeker, then it's not lack of confidence..just lack of practice lol.

Being worried about looking bad and forcing a pass prematurely or too late, is as much about ego as wanting to look good, and hogging the puck...keep the "I" out of the game..just focus on what's happening..... all those other "me" thoughts are just a distraction..you will find you play much better.

All valid points.

I look to pass typically because the puck moves faster than the goalie does, therefore it creates opportunity. I carry and then dish, hopefully the guy buries it, or has the sense enough to make another pass back or to someone in a better spot. I rarely miss passes compared to trying to pick a couple inch spot from a ways away.

Also because a cross ice pass or a pass to an open guy trailing is far more accurate than a shot from outside.

More will happen with ACCURATE puck movement than shooting all the time. I hate guys that just fire fire fire.

When the chance is there you gotta take it. It comes down to learning to be quick enough to make a choice when you have the puck.

Just remember what a great man once said: "You miss 100% of the shots that you don't take". This of course was Gretzky. I always try to keep that in mind whenever I play.

Sounds like Forsberg Syndrome. He could score 50 a year, but only nets 25-30 b/c he's too busy feeding his sniper linemates. I agree with MDE...learn to identify the best opportunities in each situation and don't think. Just let your instinct do the work and you'll be fine. And keep your head up or you're gonna get Lindros'd one of these days - unless of course you play in a non contact league. ;)

EDIT: Passing isn't a bad habit. Think Hull would've scored all those goals in St. Louis without Oates feeding him all those marvelous one-time passes? Not a chance.