Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TCsnipes9

Edge mouthpiece?

Edge mouth guardssaw an add today onthe inside of the American Hockey mag.... for Edge mouthpieces. it says that it actually "increases strength and endurance, lowers heart rate and reduces stress, increases concentration and awareness, and unlocks the bodys true potiential." how is this at all possible from just a mouth guard?

Edge mouth guards

The ad shows how it lines up your jaw... unless there are any scientists on the board i dont think youll get a much better answer than what is on their website and in their ad... but i do wonder if it really works... no more lifting :P

i think its just that it keeps you from clenching your jaw and it aligns your jaw a bit (kinda like a retainer) so you don't have pressure points. of course i'm no dentist but that's what i'm assuming

At first glance I thought that this was another gimmic that with the right PR (nice flash web site and pro endorsements) and some "mock" science they could sucker somebody into spending $100 on a mouth guard. Why not, they will spend $200 on a hockey stick or $500 on a golf club. I did a little digging and this is what I found...(sorry about the length of this post..In summary this is snake oil friends!!)

Influence of intra-oral maxillary sports mouthguards on the airflow dynamics of oral breathing. (eng; includes abstract) By Amis T, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2000 Feb; Vol. 32 (2), pp. 284-90; PMID: 10694108; PURPOSE: Mouthguards worn during sporting competition may influence oral airway flow dynamics and potentially increase airflow resistance during mouth breathing. CONCLUSION: Thus, although maxillary mouthguards do increase airflow resistance when jaw position is controlled, individual subjects respond differently when in control of mouth opening. This may be related to variable recruitment of compensatory mechanisms (e.g. mouth opening and/or oral airway dilator muscle activity).

Temporomandibular joint repositioning and exercise performance: a double-blind study. (eng; includes abstract) By McArdle WD, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1984 Jun; Vol. 16 (3), pp. 228-33; PMID: 6748919; In the present study, the effects of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) repositioning by use of an acrylic appliance on maximum and submaximum physiologic and performance measures were evaluated in seven male and four female volunteers with documented TMJ malalignment. Analysis of variance for repeated measures indicated that in no instance were the differences in mean scores on physiologic and performance measures with TMJ repositioning or placebo statistically significant when compared with the normal condition.

The influence of different jaw positions on the endurance and electromyographic pattern of the biceps brachii muscle in young adults with different occlusal characteristics. (eng; includes abstract) By Ferrario VF, J Oral Rehabil, 2001 Aug; Vol. 28 (8), pp. 732-9; PMID: 11556954 In conclusion, a morphologically altered occlusion does not always worsen the muscular performance of other body districts

I use it. My coach has some relationship with the company and got some free, and i got one of them. it's a GREAT mouthguard, but yes, very pricy. it comes with a case, a couple different ways to attach it to your helmet( one is a pretty interesting way, good idea though), and a couple other little things. It's really nice, but i dunno about the price.

I think you're right because my coach played with some of the guys on the "Team" list on the site in the NHL.

I love my custom one.  It fits great.

Did you get yours through a dentist? I have been thinking of ordering a Gladiator. They seem to be of decent quality, and they don't cost too much, but I am not wild about the fact that I would be making the impression myself. I suppose that would be why they are cheaper then most other custom mouthguards.

Yes, I got mine done through a dentist. Stuck a metal horseshoe in my mouth full of some pink goop and I had to bite down on it. When he yanked it out I thought all of my teeth were coming out with it.

At first glance I thought that this was another gimmic that with the right PR (nice flash web site and pro endorsements) and some "mock" science they could sucker somebody into spending $100 on a mouth guard. Why not, they will spend $200 on a hockey stick or $500 on a golf club. I did a little digging and this is what I found...(sorry about the length of this post..In summary this is snake oil friends!!)

Influence of intra-oral maxillary sports mouthguards on the airflow dynamics of oral breathing. (eng; includes abstract) By Amis T, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 2000 Feb; Vol. 32 (2), pp. 284-90; PMID: 10694108; PURPOSE: Mouthguards worn during sporting competition may influence oral airway flow dynamics and potentially increase airflow resistance during mouth breathing. CONCLUSION: Thus, although maxillary mouthguards do increase airflow resistance when jaw position is controlled, individual subjects respond differently when in control of mouth opening. This may be related to variable recruitment of compensatory mechanisms (e.g. mouth opening and/or oral airway dilator muscle activity).

Temporomandibular joint repositioning and exercise performance: a double-blind study. (eng; includes abstract) By McArdle WD, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1984 Jun; Vol. 16 (3), pp. 228-33; PMID: 6748919; In the present study, the effects of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) repositioning by use of an acrylic appliance on maximum and submaximum physiologic and performance measures were evaluated in seven male and four female volunteers with documented TMJ malalignment. Analysis of variance for repeated measures indicated that in no instance were the differences in mean scores on physiologic and performance measures with TMJ repositioning or placebo statistically significant when compared with the normal condition.

The influence of different jaw positions on the endurance and electromyographic pattern of the biceps brachii muscle in young adults with different occlusal characteristics. (eng; includes abstract) By Ferrario VF, J Oral Rehabil, 2001 Aug; Vol. 28 (8), pp. 732-9; PMID: 11556954 In conclusion, a morphologically altered occlusion does not always worsen the muscular performance of other body districts

Did anyone else not understand a single word of that?

At first glance I thought that this was another gimmic that with the right PR (nice flash web site and pro endorsements) and some "mock" science they could sucker somebody into spending $100 on a mouth guard.  Why not, they will spend $200 on a hockey stick or $500 on a golf club.  I did a little digging and this is what I found...(sorry about the length of this post..In summary this is snake oil friends!!)

Temporomandibular joint repositioning and exercise performance: a double-blind study. (eng; includes abstract) By McArdle WD, Med Sci Sports Exerc, 1984 Jun; Vol. 16 (3), pp. 228-33; PMID: 6748919; In the present study, the effects of temporomandibular joint (TMJ) repositioning by use of an acrylic appliance on maximum and submaximum physiologic and performance measures were evaluated in seven male and four female volunteers with documented TMJ malalignment.  Analysis of variance for repeated measures indicated that in no instance were the differences in mean scores on physiologic and performance measures with TMJ repositioning or placebo statistically significant when compared with the normal condition.

The influence of different jaw positions on the endurance and electromyographic pattern of the biceps brachii muscle in young adults with different occlusal characteristics. (eng; includes abstract) By Ferrario VF, J Oral Rehabil, 2001 Aug; Vol. 28 (8), pp. 732-9; PMID: 11556954  In conclusion, a morphologically altered occlusion does not always worsen the muscular performance of other body districts

Did anyone else not understand a single word of that?

What I gathered was a resounding "inconclusive."

Yeah. I don't think I am going to spend $100 on a boil-and-bite mouthpiece when I could spend $75 and get one of those Gladiators. Hell, I bet I could get one from my dentist for less then $100. How much did you pay, JR?