Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kakos26

Powerskater

I have one and it definitely helps your stride, gets your legs stronger, and increases stamina. Mine came with a few different bungies for different resistance. It's a little tricky at first, but it will feel natural in no time. I'd say about 20 min a day of straight "skating" in a squatted position will really benefit you.

I also had one. It definitely helped me with my stride, but I wouldn't say it made me any faster or stronger. It's a great machine if you don't mind the price tag.

Ok thanks guys, so as far as mechanics how accurate is it? In terms of lengthening, and strengthening your stride in all the right motions?

For anyone who has used this: Does it help you get a better stride? I feel like it could really help with getting the proper knee bend, but was wondering if anyone was able to see improvement from this

Hmmm. While it looks cool, I think you would better off spending your money on a slide board, running steps, and some sprints.

Also, Maybe its just the angle of the picture, but I don't usually have my leg pointed that far backward when striding. its probably just the angle of the picture though.

Zach

In my mind it looks too stiff in movment pattern, at least not natural.

Mabye not important, regarding what one want to achieve?

A slide board is completely different, I have used a slide board before, and find that movement to be detrimental to my skating stride. On a slide board you are going strictly lateral, from side to side, that's the opposite of the purpose of skating, in skating you want to move forward as quickly as possible. Although I do agree its a great workout, and that it uses the same muscle groups that skating using.

Have any of you actually used it? or just judging by looking at it? I would love to get some comments from people who have used it...

It looks like this thing puts your ankle at a strange angle at full extension. When actually skating you are pushing against a nearly flat surface (footbed) and more with the inside of your foot whereas with the device you would be applying force more on the outside of your foot. Look at the difference in ankle and foot of the guy on the device and the shadow guy to the left.

It looks like this thing puts your ankle at a strange angle at full extension. When actually skating you are pushing against a nearly flat surface (footbed) and more with the inside of your foot whereas with the device you would be applying force more on the outside of your foot. Look at the difference in ankle and foot of the guy on the device and the shadow guy to the left.

yeah, unless you wear your skates on the machine, which is what the kid is doing in the video that they include with the machine. Granted I do not use it that way, but with skate gaurds, you def could.

I am trying to use it to get me to skate lower, with more knee bend. I am hoping if I do this 3x per week, It will start to transfer over to my real skating...

If you want to work on knee bend, go ahead and get a regular slide board, and that will allow you to get as much knee bend as you wish the practice.

Zach

A slide board is completely different, I have used a slide board before, and find that movement to be detrimental to my skating stride. On a slide board you are going strictly lateral, from side to side, that's the opposite of the purpose of skating, in skating you want to move forward as quickly as possible. Although I do agree its a great workout, and that it uses the same muscle groups that skating using.

Have any of you actually used it? or just judging by looking at it? I would love to get some comments from people who have used it...

I was looking at getting a slide board for the workout. I don't like running, so this might be the way to go.

I ran CC in HS, ran a few half marathons, won my age group in one, completed three 70.3 Half Ironmans. So its not like I don't like to run maybe a little burnt out from all the training, however I don't like treadmills at all I just moved to Texas and its too hot here; at about 7pm its still 100 degrees and I don't like running in the morning in the dark, plus its hard to workout in the morning with the family, kids ect. I was thinking about getting a slide board to change things up, but not sure what to get. Seems like some are super expensive and other are cheap w/ bad reviews.

I saw a youtube video of a speedskater with a homemade slideboard. I think it was melamine. Old school versions were just polished wood, before any were marketed.

I think the push-outward motion is useful to speed skaters because they're spending a lot of time at full tilt, where they are pushing out to the side so as to have as little detriment to their forward glide as possible. I saw a video that I can't seem to find again where Casey Fitzrandolph explains how you can think of the angle of your feet and how much you directly push back as corresponding to gears. In first you're pushing pretty much straight back and at full-speed you're pushing straight out to the side. See how much more efficient this guy is when he starts pushing to the side (2:51). It looks like Grabner's not that far off at full speed either.

Personally, I found on ice edge drills to help knee bend the best. That solid footing and deep knee bend are directly linked.

Why don't you like running? Sorry if it sounds rude I'm just curious to find out

I had knee surgery about 3 years ago after a really bad meniscus tear, and ever sense running as become very difficult and painful