Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Konig von Kuhlem

Ovechkin & Sean Skinner

Ovechkin & Sean Skinner Video

I like the part when Skinner corrects Ovechkin's stickhandling technique. :lol:

I don't know if he was so much correcting his overall technique...just specifics as it related to that drill.

I like Ovy's tongue hanging out doing the drills *L*

99% of the time you see moves from Skinner videos it's at open hockey and it still takes the guy 10 tries to get it right. Kids spend so much time practicing those moves and almost never work on shooting, at least that's how it is in this area.

99% of the time you see moves from Skinner videos it's at open hockey and it still takes the guy 10 tries to get it right. Kids spend so much time practicing those moves and almost never work on shooting, at least that's how it is in this area.

I have to agree. I've seen a couple guys, B league, who are really good with fancy moves, but not really worth a damn at anything else. Some look like they barely know how to shoot at all.

Has anyone actually seen Skinner play a GAME of hockey...not just do his "routine"?

I remember reading an article about him a few years back and it said that we was good enough to play pro hockey but that he ended up only playing NCAA Div 1 due to the fact that he was orthodox Jewish, and couldn't play on the sabbath. But on the subject of his drills and tricks, I find its nothing more than a creative way to just get you the practice. Of course most of the things he does you'll never use in a game, but the practice required to actually be able to do it will make your hands significantly better. The only thing I take issue with is that stupid throw the glove gimmick he does, why on earth any one would think something that douche is worth teaching is beyond me.

I remember reading an article about him a few years back and it said that we was good enough to play pro hockey but that he ended up only playing NCAA Div 1 due to the fact that he was orthodox Jewish, and couldn't play on the sabbath. But on the subject of his drills and tricks, I find its nothing more than a creative way to just get you the practice. Of course most of the things he does you'll never use in a game, but the practice required to actually be able to do it will make your hands significantly better. The only thing I take issue with is that stupid throw the glove gimmick he does, why on earth any one would think something that douche is worth teaching is beyond me.

I've relayed this story before but it has been a while; Some kids had obviously just seen the Skinner video and were pulling that move all night at open hockey. Eventually, one of those kids was coming in on me 1 on 1 and I could see him shaking his glove loose so he could throw it. When he tossed the glove and made the move, I went right for the glove in the corner and tossed it over the glass. When his father came busting into the locker room after the session was over I told him that he should be thanking me. I chose to show his son the folly of his behavior by simply tossing the glove over the boards. Most people in that rink would have slashed his bare hand and taught him a more severe lesson.

I've relayed this story before but it has been a while; Some kids had obviously just seen the Skinner video and were pulling that move all night at open hockey. Eventually, one of those kids was coming in on me 1 on 1 and I could see him shaking his glove loose so he could throw it. When he tossed the glove and made the move, I went right for the glove in the corner and tossed it over the glass. When his father came busting into the locker room after the session was over I told him that he should be thanking me. I chose to show his son the folly of his behavior by simply tossing the glove over the boards. Most people in that rink would have slashed his bare hand and taught him a more severe lesson.

I give you props for that. Anyone one who does that glove shit should be lighten up if you ask me

The most impressive part of that video is the velocity on Ovechkin's shots at the end. I wish I could shoot it that hard.

he makes it look as easy as picking grapes too. smooth

The one thing I found in practicing a lot of advanced stuff was it made me focus more on getting my basics right. Admittedly, it was unnecessarily time intensive and I now have a very, very simple but generally effective method of stick handling off ice, but sometimes it's fun to try stuff.

The one thing I found in practicing a lot of advanced stuff was it made me focus more on getting my basics right. Admittedly, it was unnecessarily time intensive and I now have a very, very simple but generally effective method of stick handling off ice, but sometimes it's fun to try stuff.

agreed. between practicing fun but complex and non-game related stuff, and NOT practicing anything, I'd rather just practice. for a long time I had the opposite view, and I wished I changed that earlier because it would've made me a better, more creative hockey player in high school.

I remember reading an article about him a few years back and it said that we was good enough to play pro hockey but that he ended up only playing NCAA Div 1 due to the fact that he was orthodox Jewish, and couldn't play on the sabbath.

This can't be correct. The Jewish sabbath runs from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Given that all D1 and D3 teams play Friday night, Saturday night (or afternoon) series' then if this was the case he would never have played in the Friday night games, and would only have been permitted to play in the Saturday games if the sun was down before the game start. That would mean he wouldn't be in the lineup for at least half the games, possibly more. An issue like this would actually be less of a problem in pro hockey because of the number of games they play during the week, it would only come into play on Friday night or Saturday afternoon games.

I don't personally care about his playing career, look at how many NHL skills camps he did for draft picks and rookies. The guy knows his stuff, even if some is a bit impractical. But it's like anything else, to be the best, you need to master the basics to have a solid foundation and then go from there.

This can't be correct. The Jewish sabbath runs from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday. Given that all D1 and D3 teams play Friday night, Saturday night (or afternoon) series' then if this was the case he would never have played in the Friday night games, and would only have been permitted to play in the Saturday games if the sun was down before the game start. That would mean he wouldn't be in the lineup for at least half the games, possibly more. An issue like this would actually be less of a problem in pro hockey because of the number of games they play during the week, it would only come into play on Friday night or Saturday afternoon games.

Well, after looking at his resume, he even went as far as to have a scholarship offer at Alaska-Fairbanks. Would've gotten around the whole sundown thing for home games at least.

I've looked at his stickhandling videos, mainly because my hands are awful.

I agree that you can really never pull half of that stuff off in a game, but I do think it makes practice more fun, plus some of the drills will simply improve your co-ordination.

Hell, just playing the drums in something as goofy as rock band helped my hockey.

**bump..

For those who have watched the Sean Skinner stickhandling videos, what does he say in regards specifically to stick length and stick lie?!

Just curious, any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance.