Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tscharf

Hockey Socks

Why is it that every piece of hockey equipment comes in every imaginable shape and size but hockey socks only come in two sizes; too big, or too small.

Anyone else share my frustration here?

Take the ones that are too big and wash them in warm water OR throw them in the dryer (after washing in cold water) and they should shrink up a bit.

If the OP is referring to Reebok Edge socks, then there are only adult at 30" length, or junior at 24"...

I was mainly referring to reebok edge socks, but it seems that any of my LHS only carry 2 sizes in any sock, Senior or junior. Hard to justify shipping to order socks online.

Are there any other socks comparable to the edge socks? IMO, the traditional socks can't even compare.

I was mainly referring to reebok edge socks, but it seems that any of my LHS only carry 2 sizes in any sock, Senior or junior. Hard to justify shipping to order socks online.

Are there any other socks comparable to the edge socks? IMO, the traditional socks can't even compare.

What about Total Hockey? I've ordered from there and had great service. Helpful on the phone as well to answer any questions I had. Plenty of them down there in your backyard!

Chesterfield

254 THF Boulevard

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Hardee's Ice Complex

16581 North Outer 40 Drive

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Kirkwood

1237 South Kirkwood Road

Kirkwood, MO 63122

Saint Peters

5833 Suemandy Drive

St. Peters, MO 63376

What about Total Hockey? I've ordered from there and had great service. Helpful on the phone as well to answer any questions I had. Plenty of them down there in your backyard!

Chesterfield

254 THF Boulevard

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Hardee's Ice Complex

16581 North Outer 40 Drive

Chesterfield, MO 63005

Kirkwood

1237 South Kirkwood Road

Kirkwood, MO 63122

Saint Peters

5833 Suemandy Drive

St. Peters, MO 63376

I go there all the time for free skate sharpening. That place sucks. Don't let their site fool you. Their actual stores suck. They have a horrible selection and their employees are all borderline retarded. They are specifically one of the stores I'm referring to. They only stock 2 sizes of socks.

I found this site, and they seem to make a product similar:

http://www.usahockeysocks.com/custom_fabric.shtml

I also spoke to a LHS who said that CCM and others will be coming out this year with hockey socks made out of breathable, lightweight materials as well.

While I am new to hockey and realize tradition is important in the sport and respect that - hockey is REALLY in need of a modernizing as far as the equipment goes.

I mean wearing hot, heavy sweaters on your legs while playing a sport this intense...just makes no sense.

I found this site, and they seem to make a product similar:

http://www.usahockeysocks.com/custom_fabric.shtml

I also spoke to a LHS who said that CCM and others will be coming out this year with hockey socks made out of breathable, lightweight materials as well.

While I am new to hockey and realize tradition is important in the sport and respect that - hockey is REALLY in need of a modernizing as far as the equipment goes.

I mean. wearing hot, heavy sweaters on your legs while playing a sport this intense...just makes no sense.

Yeah, I hear ya. After wearing traditional socks last night (due to my RBK Edge socks not matching my jersey) I realized that I never want to wear them again. Gotta hand it to Reebok on these socks.

Yeah, I hear ya. After wearing traditional socks last night (due to my RBK Edge socks not matching my jersey) I realized that I never want to wear them again. Gotta hand it to Reebok on these socks.

Now if they would just offer more than just 2 sizes...

What's the issue with size that you're having? Length? These things stretch a lot.

What's the issue with size that you're having? Length? These things stretch a lot.

I'm pretty sure reebok can afford to make more than 2 sizes...

I'm pretty sure reebok can afford to make more than 2 sizes...

I think you're missing the point...

I have two pairs of pro stock EDGE socks, one NHL and one AHL. Both sized XL, and they fit great around my shin pads. My roommate (despite my recomendation not to) bought the retail EDGE, and they balloon around my shin pads and sag and hang everywhere. Seems like they really droped the ball in the retail line.

They do for pros, it's not their fault you didn't each your vegetables.

Pro EDGE sizing:

L - about an inch more snug and about an inch shorter.

XL - Roughly retail

XL+ about an inch more loose and same length. This is more for those looking for a loose fit.

I go there all the time for free skate sharpening. That place sucks. Don't let their site fool you. Their actual stores suck. They have a horrible selection and their employees are all borderline retarded. They are specifically one of the stores I'm referring to. They only stock 2 sizes of socks.

boy i thought it was only the chicago area stores that have a horrible selection......no socks at all except youth....hardly any 16" shin guards, no skate socks except youth...and no skates except size 6 or 13...

You can't really gripe a store though for running out of gear come March. Even if they are big like them, because yes, while they should have a huge selection to begin with, if something sells better than they thought it would, and they can't reorder b/c the companies are also out, they really can't do anything. But since they are big they really should have had a ridiculous inventory at the beginning of the year.

Also, you can custom order Edge pro socks, just talk to your LHS. I think 12? is the minimum order on them, if you did colors that weren't totally out there I'm sure you could sell some here or on ebay.

Considering that he described the sizes as too big and too small, I would say that they adult socks are too big for him. They're made to fit guys like you at their smallest. That's the problem he has, and the problem I have. He's not having issues with them being too small like you were apparently concerned about, he's having issues with them being too big.

Same problem I have. Retail edge are gigantic or tiny. Thank god JR was able to hook me up with some from an NHLer who's as short as I am.

I have two pairs of pro stock EDGE socks, one NHL and one AHL. Both sized XL, and they fit great around my shin pads. My roommate (despite my recomendation not to) bought the retail EDGE, and they balloon around my shin pads and sag and hang everywhere. Seems like they really droped the ball in the retail line.

Seeing as I have big calves, these things dont droop or sag one bit. They fit awesome.

Basically my point is that the 6" gap in length between the 2 sizes is a pretty big gap. I'm using the junior size for now, but 2 more inches would be perfect.

Basically my point is that the 6" gap in length between the 2 sizes is a pretty big gap. I'm using the junior size for now, but 2 more inches would be perfect.

Grow longer legs. ;)

JK, sucks though. The socks are awesome otherwise.

Has anyone had any issues with the fact that there is a velcro tab on the front only?

I wear Bauer loose fit jocks with both front and rear tabs, and am concerned the Reebok socks will fall off during hard play. Because of this, I'm considering having a local tailor sew on a velcro tab on the back of the Edge socks...

Side note: kudos to www.greatskate.com for having several colors in stock this late in the season, though with year-round rinks/leagues becoming the norm in my neck of the woods, ice hockey equipment really should be available all 12 months.