Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shayno

Hockey pants vs girdle and shell? Pro's and Con's

love my x60 girdle. light and super mobile. protection is still great i don't worry when blocking shots. i havn't noticed any of these heat issues people keep talking about, but that can be contributed to the compression shorts/jock and reebok edge socks.

Hey guys, kind of hijaking this thread because I have a similar question. I currently am using a pair of low end Bauer 400 hockey pants which I got for $40 at duhnams probably 4 years ago. My question is do you guys think if I use a high end inline girdle like the mission thorax flow girdle http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-hockey-girdle-thorax-flow-sr-2010.html with a padded shell, would I get comparable protection? I play in a low level c league and io haven't had an issue protection wise with my pants, I am just finding them annoying and uncomfortable. Thanks

I have a Thorax for roller and just started using the Warrior Projekt for ice. I wouldn't use the Thorax for ice..even for a pickup game. The padding is meant for the roller game and the lighter roller puck. It's fine for that, but I wouldn't trust it to stop ice pucks. The Projekt is more substantial and protective and only a bit more noticeable when you're on the ice. I'd recommend an ice girdle for ice and would caution against using a roller girdle, but if you're comfortable with it so be it.

Could anyone tell me the inseam on the Bauer X:60 Girdle in a Sr. Small? Or a Jr. XL. Just from the end of the inside of the thigh to the gooch.

Are there any differences between the Jr. and Sr. model as far as protection is concerned?

Tried a girdle/shell last night, and I have to say...I may stick with it for a while. It was a One95, and I thought it was lighter and more mobile than the pants I had been wearing (Pro Tacks from a few years back).

They were cooler than pants too...we played at Copps, a notroitously hot arena...and I was comfortable.

Anyone have any info on these? I picked them up used from a Play It Again for dirt cheap since I've been wanting to try the wrap style girdle. I tried finding info on them but I can't find anything on the net. They say "Bauer Vapor 4" and I can only find info on the Vapor 8. I'm guessing this is its less protective younger brother?

gnIga.jpg

It doesn't have ANY padding in the crotch area. I'm gonna try it this weekend in a stick and puck and see how it feels before using it in a game.

I've never tried on a girdle, or even seen one at any of the hockey shops I have semi-local. Would I be right in thinking that a girdle would provide more area of coverage? I am getting alot of pucks and sticks finding their way into the gaps of my pants and it's hard to look sexy when my crotch looks like it just fought tyson.

Finally tried that Vapor girdle I posted above. Love it. It feels like I'm not wearing anything. It may be slightly less protective then my 7k Reebok pants but not by much. They stay in place and move with me real well. I wish a LHS carried the Total One girdle. I'd love to try it on and eventually purchase.

I have had the S15 Motion girdle hybrid since it came out.

I was skeptical about the girdle system at first coming from regular pants, however 3 or 4 years later I'm so disappointed that they don't make them any more.

The girdle section was great - Never overheated, jock and sock velcro was integrated, protection was top level (best tail bone protection Ive ever had). Ive found the closer fit allows for more padding without extra bulk out the sides.

The other aspect I really liked was that the thigh pad was part of the shell - this meant they 'floated' (great for movement). Close fit around waist, loose around legs.

Gutted they don't have them anymore but I don't think Ill go back to regular pants. Trying to find the next best girdle.

I have had the S15 Motion girdle hybrid since it came out.

I was skeptical about the girdle system at first coming from regular pants, however 3 or 4 years later I'm so disappointed that they don't make them any more.

The girdle section was great - Never overheated, jock and sock velcro was integrated, protection was top level (best tail bone protection Ive ever had). Ive found the closer fit allows for more padding without extra bulk out the sides.

The other aspect I really liked was that the thigh pad was part of the shell - this meant they 'floated' (great for movement). Close fit around waist, loose around legs.

Gutted they don't have them anymore but I don't think Ill go back to regular pants. Trying to find the next best girdle.

Try the Warrior Projekt girdle. I went from the S15 Motion combo to the Projekt. The Projekt has good tail bone protection and in my opionion it's a little lighter and more streamlined than the S15 motion combo without sacrificing protection. Now, the thigh pads don't float and the belt that it comes with is shorter than average (but that's an easy fix), but I'm happy with them based on the few months I've used them. Oh, and they don't have the velcro for socks, but I picked up a pair of long underarmour pants with velcro tabs for that.

Love that above girdle so I went out and bought the new TotalOne. I like it a lot. I don't think I'll be going back to regular pants ever. Despite what people have said, I don't feel "less" protected with the Total One girdle vs pants. I feel more protected than I did in my 7k pants. The only place I would like more padding would be around the waist/belt area since there is a big gap between the kidney and hip pads. Easy fix if you find a pro stock shell with a padded belt though.

Does anyone know of a place that just sells a padded belt?

Does anyone know of a place that just sells a padded belt?

I noted you stated you have the Bauer girdle, but I went to the CCM Vector girdle late last season.

The matching CCM shell and the girdle solve the belt issue.

It even has post/loops for the shell to stay fixed to the girdle. They can be undone for washing or changeout for another color, etc.

Like many have stated, I don't see myself going back to pants....

i tried on my buddies one90 girdle and it took a little time getting use to it, but after 10 minutes in to shinny it felt awesome. the mobility is unreal compared to pants. as far as the protection goes, its good. I'm defs gonna get a pair of the totalone girdle as they look like they have more protection then the one90 pants. I'm also gonna try out the one90 girdle in my practice tomorrow.

I have really enjoyed my Tackla girdle, however, playing in men's league I don't know if the true level of protection it gives is appropriate for better hockey. I like the mobility, the shells, and the tailbone protection especially. I could see the advantages of looser pants sometimes, like when trying to put them on after putting on skates first. (I usually do this as I wear my shins outside the tongues).

I use the Tackla girdle as well. For pick up hockey and mid level beer league, I dont have any complaints about the protection. I've tried on pants in my LHS and I just cant see switching back to pants after wearing a girdle/shell combo. I like a tight fitting girdle, so I bought a 4500 that was really snug. It seems to help support my coreand hips a bit as well.

Interestingly, I bought a vintage Cooperall girdle out of the used bin at PIAS the other night for 5 bucks. When compared to my Tackla 4500, it actually had better protection in alot of places, namely the rib area. It was interesting to me that the 4500 was (in alot of ways) basically a carbon copy of the old Cooperalls.

I like the mobility, the lighter weight, and the slimmer feel of a girdle. Plus if I get the urge, I can forget about socks and shell and just pull a pair of sweats over the whole shiteree..

Been using One95 girdle for 4+ years - great mobility etc, leg protection is adequate for beer leagues

Tailbone protection is very light but I can't recall ever falling on my ass and so haven't tested it

The hip protection however is crap! Just yesterday got tripped into the boards, ended up with a sore bruised up spot from something that wouldn't be even noticeable in pants...

I'm still wearing my Bauer wrap pre-TotalOne girdle and my 11 Peewee AA son is wearing the X60. I don't think either of us will ever go back to pants.