Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moose

Cooking suggestios for chilis

I'm looking to see if there are any cooks around here. I just planted (for the first time) some chilis and I'm looking for some good recipes. We planted Garden Salsa, Jalapeno, Serrano, Red Chile, and Habanero. I'm thinking of a hot sauce or making chili in my slow cooker, but hoping to hear what other people may be doing. Clearly I don't mind a little heat.

My suggestion is to not limit yourself. Peppers can be used to spice up anything, heck, my father-in-law once made a jalapeno wine.

Chili is a very good start. Use some canned or fresh tomatoes, some tomato juice (I use tomato cream also) some chili peppers, red kidney beans, ground beef, onions, green, red, yellow/orange peppers, some corn and some rice (not too much rice though). Make sure that it's liquidy enough to cook the rice and let cook in your slow cooker until cooked and has a good consistency. Season to taste (hot peppers, salt, pepper etc)

Chili is a very good start. Use some canned or fresh tomatoes, some tomato juice (I use tomato cream also) some chili peppers, red kidney beans, ground beef, onions, green, red, yellow/orange peppers, some corn and some rice (not too much rice though). Make sure that it's liquidy enough to cook the rice and let cook in your slow cooker until cooked and has a good consistency. Season to taste (hot peppers, salt, pepper etc)

Rice and beans in chili??? :o

Alton Brown (Good Eats) has a good chili recipe that can get you started... by all means play with it by adding your own fresh chiles. I think these are the youtube links to the episode (can't access youtube at work to verify):

Part 1

Part 2

I learned quickly when I moved to Texas that my northern notions of "chili" could quickly lead to ridicule... But I still enjoy a bowl of moms "chili" (made with beans, tomatoes and ground meat) served over macaroni and topped with cheese, fritos and sour cream.

I like to start with Carroll Shelby's chili mix and modify as needed.

A word of caution, use rubber gloves when cleaning the peppers. Nothing worse than rubbing your eye or having to take a leak shortly after cleaning a bunch of habaneros

Season chili 3 times: when browning meat, 4-6 hours of cooking time, and prior to serving. Also- add some peanut butter and regular mustard to the pot early in the cooking. Both tips add a much greater depth of flavor.

Yep, got that from a recipe book and it's actually very good. You go easy on the rice though. Red kidney beans add fiber and a different texture. Note that I'm from Canada and it's not unusual to find beans in Chili here. It may not be the case in the States or some States.

Not a fan of beans or rice in chili- more meat the better. I'd rather use a bit of Mesa flour to thicken it.

The mustard is a great idea. Keep the ideas coming- especially the non-traditional ones!

Make sure it's the basic yellow mustard, dijon or other specialty mustards won't come through.

Brown sugar adds a hint of sweetness. Or you can substitute ketchup for tomato sauce and get a similar effect.

Too much of the above ingredients and you'll have a KC-style-BBQ chili, so be careful. The important thing(IMO) is to not try to make a hybrid of Texas and Cincinnati chili, it will just come out a mess. Pick a style you like and go from there.

I'm looking to see if there are any cooks around here. I just planted (for the first time) some chilis and I'm looking for some good recipes. We planted Garden Salsa, Jalapeno, Serrano, Red Chile, and Habanero. I'm thinking of a hot sauce or making chili in my slow cooker, but hoping to hear what other people may be doing. Clearly I don't mind a little heat.

Need some Scotch Bonnet. :)

Hottest of the starter plants they had available was the Habanero. I'm looking for another place to grab some more since we may have some more room in our community garden.

We cant get them on the West coast so we have to settle for Habaneros. I did order some seeds online but I couldnt get them to grow.

Yep, got that from a recipe book and it's actually very good. You go easy on the rice though. Red kidney beans add fiber and a different texture. Note that I'm from Canada and it's not unusual to find beans in Chili here. It may not be the case in the States or some States.

You guys also eat poutine, it's not surprising. ;)

A lot of people make chili with beans, it's not "right" but that's what they know or like. The rice thing is a lot less common, but I have seen it in a few places.

Definitely great advice from Chadd for the use of gloves when handling chilis; certain body parts would definitely not mix well with the chili oils on your hands. To help control some of the heat, be careful of the seeds and the veins since they carry a lot of the heat in a chili.

You guys also eat poutine, it's not surprising. ;)

A lot of people make chili with beans, it's not "right" but that's what they know or like. The rice thing is a lot less common, but I have seen it in a few places.

lol.. considering how many different types of ingredients you can find in a poutine, it's no surprise to see different ingredients in our Chilis too lol. My wife's parents are from out east Quebec (Gaspésie) and I hate a poutine there that they call the méli-mélo... it comes with the basic poutine ingredients (fries, cheeze curds and gravy) and they add pepperoni, green peppers and mushrooms. Pure delight lol