Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coryroth24

Tide Pen vs. Sharpie

So I just picked these suckers up.

img0544d.jpg

But the guy I got them from did a shotty job on blacking out the lettering on the cuff (they're blue gloves to boot). Any know if a Tide pen might get rid of the Sharpie job done to these or am I SOL?

img0545h.jpg

You can try one of those Mr Clean magic erasers, but I'm not sure if that would work either. In your situation, either pen or eraser might just cause the ink to run when it's wet, leaving you with a bigger mess.

You can try one of those Mr Clean magic erasers, but I'm not sure if that would work either. In your situation, either pen or eraser might just cause the ink to run when it's wet, leaving you with a bigger mess.

I think I need to give Mr. Clean a try. I keep hearing about those erasers.

I think I read on this board that those Mr. Clean erasers contain a mild bleach, so be careful it may do something to the fabric beneath.

Acetone will get Sharpie out. Jersey collectors have been using it to get rid of the glue residue leftover from removing pressed on numbers so I don't see why it wouldn't be safe to use on gloves as well.

Tide pen = FAIL

Gonna have to look into the acetone route...

Cory,

In my research into dyes for use on embroidered logos, I came across this product from RIT (a highly-regarded dye company): RIT Color Remover

There are some videos on YouTube of people successfully using the Color Remover on thread and yarn, so it may work for you. The trouble will be finding the right concentration and using a "spotting" method.

Have you considered finding some blue dye or fabric paint and "bluing-out" the logo correctly?

Haven't looked into that. But ultimately, what I'd like to do is just get rid of the black out job that was done to the gloves. I doubt I'll ever get the white embroidery back the way it was, but I'd still like to get rid of all the black junk around it...

Haven't looked into that. But ultimately, what I'd like to do is just get rid of the black out job that was done to the gloves. I doubt I'll ever get the white embroidery back the way it was, but I'd still like to get rid of all the black junk around it...

Are you attached to the embroidery? You could carefully remove the stitching, then you just have to work on getting sharpie out of the navy nylon, which figures to be easier than white thread. Beyond that, I would try blotting the area with rubbing alcohol applied to either tough paper towel, or a microfiber cloth.

Amodex also works pretty well on some materials. http://www.amodexink.com/

Whatever you do, make sure you test the product in an inconspicuous spot. The potency of the cleaners you would need to take sharpie out can potentially damage the other colors on your gloves.