Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kr580

Hanging skates in sun bad?

I apologize if this has been covered before but I couldn't find an answer on here. I just bought new Bauer Supreme ONE80's yesterday and I was wondering if it was a bad idea to hang them up in the sun to dry faster. I obviously want them to last so I'm trying to not kill them prematurely. Is there anything on them that's particularly prone to damage in sunlight? I've hung my Vapor X20's for several months with no apparent ill effects but I just want to be sure with my new skates. Right now I have them hanging outside in full shade but the sun sure does speed up the process.

Thanks - Kevin

Since the sun pretty much causes damage to most items left out in it over time or with repeated exposure I'd advise not doing it. Just take out the footbeds and hang them upside down to dry. Be sure to remove wet skate guards. You can always aim a regular fan at them to help. I err on the safe side and keep sun and heat away from my gear.

whao, you shouldnt do that because

1: Skates can air-dry just fine, just remember to wipe down blade/holder after a skate

2: the heat can 'bake' your skates, affecting how they mold to your feet

3: UV bleaches color and paint

That's kinda what I figured. I'll keep them in the shade and out of high heat then. Thanks.

Even in the shade they might become prematurely damaged. I know this summer I would dry my skates outside and would place it under the patio table in the shade. And to be honest, this past couple of weeks the fit of the skate feels way different!!! As if, the mould of the skate has become more/less in certain areas of the skate, thus making it feel looser in those certain areas.

I thought I'd be safe in the shade :S

dryguy.com. There is simply no better way or no gadget that drys skates better.

Or for about 1/4 of the cost, you can use a plain old oscilating fan and get the same results (and dry all your other equipment at the same time)

I have a really large floor fan that I put in front of my gear that dries everything out in a couple hours at most. I will put things out in the sun from time to time, as sunlight is still one of the best disinfectants out there.

Unfortunately my family will not allow my gear to dry inside and I don't have room for a fan in my room. Only option for drying is outside at the moment. :dry:

not sure where you live, but i live in texas and i've seen what the heat can do to automobiles (cracked dashes, eroded weatherstripping, etc...). i wouldn't make a habit out of it if you are in a hot climate. it was 107 here yesterday and not that dry!

Northern California. Usually no more than maybe 75°-80° during the days. 105° today though. Keepin' my gear inside today!

where I hang my skates, sometimes the sun hits it in the morning

I've touched my skates after the sun has been on them (behind glass), and they are HOT HOT HOT

I wouldn't make a habit of it, and have changed the location that I dry my skates

why chance it