Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

And diving finally makes it to MLB

Isn't is bad enough that soccer players and hockey players without respect for the game do it?

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/vote-do-you-think-derek-jeter-is-a-cheat-091610?GT1=39002

Jeter, who stood doubled over while receiving attention from a trainer, confessed that the ball hit the end of his bat and he sold the call to Barksdale with a good acting job.

Finally? It's been a part of baseball for a long, long time. You sell the call. You pretend you fouled a ball off your foot when you hit a miserable blooper fair so you can continue the at bat. You pretend that the ball grazed you when it didn't. Catchers move the glove closer to the stikezone after a pitch to get a borderline strike call.

Selling the call is a part of baseball, and always has been.

I don't see what the big deal is. If player A steps on Player B's stick and falls down...and the ref calls Player B for tripping. Player A isn't going to go...."No Ref, my bad - don't give him that penalty".

...Yeah but if the player is Crosby all the morons come out and start whining about it.

Is he player A or B? :wink:

I don't see what the big deal is. If player A steps on Player B's stick and falls down...and the ref calls Player B for tripping. Player A isn't going to go...."No Ref, my bad - don't give him that penalty".

A ref or umpire making a bad call is not the same as faking an injury or diving to get a call. It saddens me that folks don't respect the games enough to know the difference.

A ref or umpire making a bad call is not the same as faking an injury or diving to get a call. It saddens me that folks don't respect the games enough to know the difference.

and repeated because he's correct and you ignored that comment.

In a super tight pennant race like that...you need every edge. It's no different than catchers framing strikes to get calls.

...or acting like they didn't go around on a check swing.

...or acting like they caught the ball when they didn't.

...or acting like they're safe when they know they weren't.

the list goes on and on, it's common practice. It's common practice to fake getting hit by a pitch or act like it hurt more than it did to guarantee the call too, but often it's not as obvious by the instant replay.

...or acting like they didn't go around on a check swing.

...or acting like they caught the ball when they didn't.

...or acting like they're safe when they know they weren't.

the list goes on and on, it's common practice. It's common practice to fake getting hit by a pitch or act like it hurt more than it did to guarantee the call too, but often it's not as obvious by the instant replay.

Right. It's about getting the call...happens in EVERY sport that doesn't use replay to overturn calls. Soccer is by far the worst when it comes to diving, however, it's not until you see the slow motion replay that you can clearly see it. In real time it often appears they were fouled. Same in every sport.

That said, the Jeter example is not an every day thing. From the umpire's perspective there's no way he would believe that the ball did not hit his hand. He's not afforded the luxury of instant replay in that situation. You can be sure that umpire will say something to Jeter the next game after he sees the replay. That's considered "showing up" an umpire...they don't like that.

If Jeter had simply taken his base when the ump made the incorrect call then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The acting job is what is wrong. As for other sports, I don't care for the diving that occurs in soccer which has made that sport a complete joke in my eyes. Any major soccer match looks the ill-fated attempts at drawing calls in the first Mighty Ducks movie. "Fall down.........look hurt..........act indignant." It was bad enough when diving became prevalent in the NHL and I hate seeing guys trying to buy calls.

...Yeah but if the player is Crosby all the morons come out and start whining about it.

Or if this was A-Rod, Jeter gets a pass on this for the most part, if Alex was crying about getting hit on the bat, it would be all the rage.

if players were paid for showing up and playing as opposed to wins, stats and championships, there would be less "diving". sport is fiercely competitive at the highest level, and any edge they can get (a power play, free kick, runner on base, etc) puts them *that* much closer to the next big bonus.

But Arod is truly a douchebag and deserves whatever grief he's given.

100% agreed, but Jeter seems to get minor play for the act. I like Jeter, seems to always carry himself well, but I can't stand dives in any sport, except in womens diving.

if players were paid for showing up and playing as opposed to wins, stats and championships, there would be less "diving". sport is fiercely competitive at the highest level, and any edge they can get (a power play, free kick, runner on base, etc) puts them *that* much closer to the next big bonus.

Or that much closer to winning the pennant and taking their team further into the playoffs...

And I'm the only one here who finds soccer to be a complete joke because of all the players trying so hard for that competitive edge? Diving is pathetic, flopping around and faking an injury is bush. For all the divers out there, there are plenty of guys playing it straight. Are they not trying to win as much? Because, if that is true then there are a lot of great players who apparently didn't want it as much because they kept their feet on a light hook or didn't hit the ice on a phantom high stick or elbow.

Nope, I'm buying what you're selling, chippa.

When I'm playing, it's a point of pride to try my darnedest to skate through a hook. On the other hand, it's irritating when a referee won't call it when it's blatant. In one game, we saw one of the most obvious hookings ever, with the perp's stick extended like a fishing rod as he kept yanking at our player. The ref was standing right next to our bench, so someone said, "Jesus, guy, you gotta call hooking!" He told us, "Tell your guy to go down next time and I will." Finally, someone said, "Well, actually, that would be tripping then...."

Still, I have so much more respect for the player who skates through a blatant hooking than I do for a player who obviously dove, which you can generally tell because his legs will go higher than the stick that's tugging them.

Nope, I'm buying what you're selling, chippa.

When I'm playing, it's a point of pride to try my darnedest to skate through a hook. On the other hand, it's irritating when a referee won't call it when it's blatant. In one game, we saw one of the most obvious hookings ever, with the perp's stick extended like a fishing rod as he kept yanking at our player. The ref was standing right next to our bench, so someone said, "Jesus, guy, you gotta call hooking!" He told us, "Tell your guy to go down next time and I will." Finally, someone said, "Well, actually, that would be tripping then...."

Still, I have so much more respect for the player who skates through a blatant hooking than I do for a player who obviously dove, which you can generally tell because his legs will go higher than the stick that's tugging them.

Remind him to re-read that section of the rules. I hate it when refs add their own interpretations to the rule book.