Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldNSlow

Adding padding to pants or shell

I bought a pair of pants a few years ago and while the fit is nice and comfortable, I keep getting bruises on my hip and tail bones. Has anyone tried adding padding to these areas? I was thinking of buying a shell and stitching some extra padding in the hip area. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe try getting the higher model version of that pant if you like the fit. You can certainly try stiching padding onto a shell but I would imagine it would shift around when you're moving.

Not sure what model you have and what the construction is like, but you could try looking for a seam to rip (seam rippers are very cheap and effective), remove the padding that is there, then go out and buy some thicker/denser material and use the original pads as a template to cut it. Stuff the new pads in and re-sew the seam (best if it could be done on a machine). You could also try layering more material on top of the original pads and gluing them together with some adhesive, but watch out for adhesives that might degrade foams, etc.

Here's what I did. I had an extra girdle with removable pads. I removed the tailbone pad which was about 5" wide and 10" long - I took some double sided masking tape and taped the outside of the pad and simply inserted the pad onto the inside of pants right on top of the existing tailbone pad. Works great. Granted, I had the girdle so it was an easy fix.

Here's what I did. I had an extra girdle with removable pads. I removed the tailbone pad which was about 5" wide and 10" long - I took some double sided masking tape and taped the outside of the pad and simply inserted the pad onto the inside of pants right on top of the existing tailbone pad. Works great. Granted, I had the girdle so it was an easy fix.

You could try something like this under your current pants. Not sure of the bulk factor.

I am kind of in the same boat, after bruising my tailbone a couple of times I am trying to find more protection without giving up my Tackla pants that are extremely comfortable.

Crash Pads

You could try something like this under your current pants. Not sure of the bulk factor.

I am kind of in the same boat, after bruising my tailbone a couple of times I am trying to find more protection without giving up my Tackla pants that are extremely comfortable.

Crash Pads

Mine are also Tackla pants. I always thought they were the most comfortable. They are top of the line pants, yet the padding isn't the best. Let me know if you come up with a solution. Thanks.

Take a look at this...

Zoombang

They have girdles for hockey and figure skating that have additional protection. Apparently the material is like a flexible gel until it is impacted. It then turns solid to distribute the load! After it returns to a gel again. They also can do custom garments as well.

Take a look at this...

Zoombang

They have girdles for hockey and figure skating that have additional protection. Apparently the material is like a flexible gel until it is impacted. It then turns solid to distribute the load! After it returns to a gel again. They also can do custom garments as well.

Pretty interesting stuff. I didn't see anything that looked like it provided tailbone protection though.

Take a look at this...

Zoombang

The ones in the bullriding section have even better tailbone protection and they have GRAF printed on the waistband!!

It seems that stuff like this and the downlow shirts are the way to go for low level hockey. Mix and match and you have some pretty mobile upper body protective.