Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

larrivee

Crosby Shoots Hard

I've been following this thread for a few days, and I would just like to say that I 100% agree with chadd that it's possible. I've seen players with much less skill move a net. I've seen a goal come off of it's moorings after a shot. Some goals are MUCH heavier than others.

HOWEVER. I agree with those here that said he had help. It's an ad. It's the job of the production team to accomplish a result, in this case to have the goal start at an angle and end up falling into it's hole. Whether they made the net lighter, or the mooring reduced friction to the point of easy mobility, or used a string and editing it outin post-production.

Hitting the post every time isn't all that difficult for some pro's that I've seen shoot in person, but it's another possibility that in order to do it, he had to take a little bit off of his power to focus on accuracy. I think the net had some help to get from that 45+ degree angle to falling into the moor.

I was at the rink today, surprise two nets occupied by goalies so couldn't test.

Chadd - maybe you can take a cam put it on the goal line pointed at the net and fire some cannons (at the net). The cam will record the net's movement. That is what I was going to do. Let us know if you can do that.

Say the net moves 2-3 inches. In that sid vid the net is moving like 12-16" which is a lot! That would be double or triple the power of a typical shot.

PS: I like Sid's style - in my top 5 favorite players of all time.

I've been following this thread for a few days, and I would just like to say that I 100% agree with chadd that it's possible. I've seen players with much less skill move a net. I've seen a goal come off of it's moorings after a shot. Some goals are MUCH heavier than others.

HOWEVER. I agree with those here that said he had help. It's an ad. It's the job of the production team to accomplish a result, in this case to have the goal start at an angle and end up falling into it's hole. Whether they made the net lighter, or the mooring reduced friction to the point of easy mobility, or used a string and editing it outin post-production.

Hitting the post every time isn't all that difficult for some pro's that I've seen shoot in person, but it's another possibility that in order to do it, he had to take a little bit off of his power to focus on accuracy. I think the net had some help to get from that 45+ degree angle to falling into the moor.

It's the look of the pucks as they hit the post that gives me the most issues with the video. It doesn't look "right" to me and looks like CGI. Plus it has the typical zoom in/out and blur of the fakes.

A better video is on youtube....pay attention to the comment by Redhotchillipeppers. I did a few more calculations and cannot come up with enough force or energy to disturb the net that distance even when the puck is travelling at a new world record speed.

I watched the vid again to see where he was, and as far as I can tell it's an NHL or AHL facility. There's a trapezoid on the ice, but no center ice logo and only Reebok ads on the boards.

But at 1:07 in the video there's clearly banners in the rafters, and they look like Clarence Campbell trophies but not quite.

The video is available in 1080, but my computer can't play it at all.

Also, looking online, it seems NHL nets are as light as 80lbs in some rinks.

I watched the vid again to see where he was, and as far as I can tell it's an NHL or AHL facility. There's a trapezoid on the ice, but no center ice logo and only Reebok ads on the boards.

But at 1:07 in the video there's clearly banners in the rafters, and they look like Clarence Campbell trophies but not quite.

That's a REALLY good point. Most rinks do have logos permanantly (or close to it) painted onto the boards. There are rinks here in Ohio that have nearly empty boards, and they ARE used for AHL practices. However none of them have that many seats. Good call, and good eye. Something to think about while we all try and figure out how it was done.

My driveway is also a practice area so I set the cam down today and hammered some pucks at a lightweight steel net. Put the net up on sky pucks to simulate the on-ice resistance. I used a dry ice sheet to shoot from, TPS 6 (i think) 20 feet away. Not used to taking slappers my forearm was buzzing at the end...

(will post vid later)

I was surprised how much the net did move - I am shooting dead center moving both posts. the reebok ad one post is fixed in place, so the energy from the puck goes to moving the free post - which is raised on what looks like to be a rounded pin. So yeah with a lightweight (not a regulation) it could be doable. Maybe not the last shot.

OK - hit the rink today and warming up fired a few shots at the empty net. Had a kodak zx3 set along the glass. Net doesn't flinch! I don't ever practice slapshots no point, never played in a league that allows them. I think Reebok has Crosby using HEAVY (not regulation) pucks

Kind of ironic, at the end of the 4 on 4 session, Thing1 there in blue says "hey i got this Reebok sickick stick i want to sell i paid (something like $240??) brand new I'll sell it for $200"

hard to replicate coz ice condition is a factor imo, there's one rink i go to i can move the net quite a bit with my wristers let alone slapshots (granted i dont have one :tongue:) but other times it doesnt budge, but ye i agree first few shots look real, dunno what they did with the last one

I heard 1 post in that video, and it sounded like you hit the bottom part of it, and it just went in the net. Of course it's not going to move. I'm not refuting the fact that this might be fake, but this "testing" is a joke at best.

On my outdoor net it didn't matter much whether i hit the post or hit the mesh the net still moved the same. yeah i did crank the cross bar second shot. net didn't budge a mm that is why i went down to see if it was stuck. it was not - slid like nothing.

i've torrented the reebok vid and can do detailed timeline to get a puck velocity, but initial indication is that the speed of sid's shot are typical for a pro shot.

all i can say is try to move the net, bring your cam to the rink. takes 5 minutes.

all i can say is try to move the net, bring your cam to the rink. takes 5 minutes.

And if you can't move the net, what does it prove ?

That your ice may not be as smooth ? That your net may be heavier ? That you can't shoot as hard as arguably the best player in the world ?

I don't see that the effect of moving a half-moored net is so impressive as to warrant fakery. It's clear from this thread that most of us don't have any idea as to how hard it is to move a net, so it didn't really mean anything to me. As others have said, it's more impressive that he can consistently hit the post while blasting the puck, and that he can turn around and hit the a spot on the glass almost dead-center.

there is a second crosby video and it definitely looks like it is done with CGI - not sure if that means the first one is or not but its interesting

if you can view it in 1080p it is a little more obvious

I'd like to point out that the net stops on the goal line because there is a peg in the net, and the peg falls into it's whole. I'd also like to point out that there being a peg in the net there is less of the net on the ice than normal.

The peg also bites into the ice.

Try pushing the goal the length of the ice with the pegs in and then without.

I heard that CCM commercial where that kid opens his locker and Ovi's head is there talking to him is real too. it's like some old Russian parlor trick...

HAHA!

I'm no physics expert but the fact that he hits metal every time makes this more plausible. If he hits the net, the force behind his shot is dispersed over the surface of the netting, but because he's hitting the structural part of the net, it's going to move easier.

Curious to know, if it was Ovechkin/Chara/Weber/MacInnis doing it, would there be as many doubters?

Yes

Here's a split screen with the pro. We do this for water-ski coaching. If you look at my backswing, the plane of the stick is too flat. I need to get the stick more upright or higher with the butt end pointed down toward the impact zone. I've already practiced this adjustment and the stress on my body (back, shoulders etc.) was reduced dramatically. Better balance and shot. Like I said before I rarely execute slapshots because it's verboten since I've played in leagues and even in pick-up.

The speed of Sid's shots aren't world record fast. This video is at half-speed. Sid is using "textbook" technique, balance and weight transfer to launch weighted pucks at same speeds as one would with a regulation puck. Great efficiency.

I actually think the pyramid shoot is plausible. Run several takes you never know what might happen. When the cam is running your senses are sharper I think.

I didn't notice til last night when someone told me, only one post is moving when he is shooting (the post further from the camera is already in place) I thought he was just such a good shooter he was moving the whole net and puts it perfectly in place. Kind of changed my opinion makes me a bit of a believer, and the pyramid trick real or not was pretty cool.

No matter how many times you put your video and the ad next to each other it does not make it any more accurate of a "test"

Real or fake, they are both great ads!

Maybe as stated before they are weighted pucks, either way it is not worth getting people worked up. I would love to see it in person though!

GM Centre - Oshawa.

Definately cool ads, but fake. In the pyramid ad look closely at how many pucks are on the ice before and after the last shot. Enjoy them for what they are...entertainment.

Just as a quick note, most NHL'ers have this kind of accuracy and velocity. That is why they are in the top 1% of hockey players in the world. Second, reebok has a history of faking these videos. I know the Datsyuk one where he catches the puck off of the boards then flings it and hits the crossbar was fake, so don't be surprised if this was too....especially since he managed to move the net into perfect position (which would be hard for Chara or Stamkos to do)