Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Stick Selection

I'm looking at buying a new stick. Currently Im using a Bauer X:40 Stick'um, and would like to upgrade a bit. I'd like to keep it under $150 at this point (maybe a better one next time!), but I'm absolutely overwhelmed with the selection out there.

I'm 28, 5'9 240lbs, can barely skate, have never taken a slap shot in my life, and cant get my wrist shots more than a foot off the ice. Needless to say, I suck. The only real preference I have is that I really like the sticks with what feels like a thin rubber coating down the shaft. Oh, and I also have a thing against used equipment, so no used stick suggestions please!

In general, what would be a good starting point as far as flex, curve, etc? I know the usual answer would be "use what fits your game", but I dont really HAVE a game at this point, so I need a good average/neutral place to start looking, and I can tweak from there along the way, as I learn to play this great sport I originally gave up 20 years ago.

Thanks all.

Well as for flex I would look at 85 or 100. It is preference in all honesty. Just remember that the more you cut down your stick the stiffer it will be. As for curve I would look for something like a kane, tavares, datsyuk, iginla type curve. I like this for beginners since it seems to be a well balanced curve. I find the big thing is not to get anything that has too much of an open face for beginners since it does make it harder to give and receive passes. What is your X:40 curve and flex wise? How do you like it?

As for what stick to get, the 2010 dolomites (ones with dragons) can be found for a good price right now. Last years Synergy ST's would be a good stick as well to look into.

Well as for flex I would look at 85 or 100. It is preference in all honesty. Just remember that the more you cut down your stick the stiffer it will be. As for curve I would look for something like a kane, tavares, datsyuk, iginla type curve. I like this for beginners since it seems to be a well balanced curve. I find the big thing is not to get anything that has too much of an open face for beginners since it does make it harder to give and receive passes. What is your X:40 curve and flex wise? How do you like it?

As for what stick to get, the 2010 dolomites (ones with dragons) can be found for a good price right now. Last years Synergy ST's would be a good stick as well to look into.

I'd have to check on that, but I *think* its a Kane, 105 flex (cut down to the 112 line). I dont mind the curve at all. The stick isn't bad for the most part I suppose, though it FEELS like it has no flex what so ever. I'm wondering if that's why I cant get a wrist shot off very well. By open face, do you mean the upwards "twist"?

For players such as yourself who are just starting out and can't shoot, I recommend any variation of the Zetterberg/PM9 curve in an 85 flex. As far as a particular model at that price point... well, then you have a few choices. Durability? Easton ST. Performance? Warrior Dolo Spyne. Decent mix of the two? Bauer One80.

For players such as yourself who are just starting out and can't shoot, I recommend any variation of the Zetterberg/PM9 curve in an 85 flex. As far as a particular model at that price point... well, then you have a few choices. Durability? Easton ST. Performance? Warrior Dolo Spyne. Decent mix of the two? Bauer One80.

Okay, I'll take a look at those. Now, since I'll be cutting a couple inches off a SR stick, should I be getting the 75/77 flex so that it ends up being 85 once cut?

I'll take another trip to Hockeymonkey on Friday and see what I can find. I wish websites had a way to filter searches by flex and curve...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, I'll take a look at those. Now, since I'll be cutting a couple inches off a SR stick, should I be getting the 75/77 flex so that it ends up being 85 once cut?

I'll take another trip to Hockeymonkey on Friday and see what I can find. I wish websites had a way to filter searches by flex and curve...

Thanks for the suggestion!

With your height and build, the 85 should be fine.

BTW - that's fat, not muscle ;) Just sayin...

I figured. I was being politically correct. Even though cutting down a 77 would make it stiffer, it'd still be too whippy, especially for someone who's pretty much new to shooting and hasn't even formed good technique yet.

I figured. I was being politically correct. Even though cutting down a 77 would make it stiffer, it'd still be too whippy, especially for someone who's pretty much new to shooting and hasn't even formed good technique yet.

Ha, gotcha. Thanks for the advice!

A few thoughts:

At your height, 75 flex would be the highest I'd go in terms of flex unless you know you want a stiff stick. I'm 5'8 and use 65 flex sticks; 75's are just too stiff when cut down for me to get much flex on quick shots, and an 85 I won't be able to flex at all. If you're pretty strong, I'd go with the 75, and if you're not (like me), try a 65. I don't think weight's much of a factor at all in terms of stick flex, especially if it's fat instead of muscle (and that's coming from a guy with about 30 extra pounds).

And when you're first learning to shoot, you want to have the stick quite whippy so you learn to use it to your advantage, rather than trying to lean and push and waste all your energy to load up the stick just a little bit.

It sounds like more than a new stick, you really need to work on technique. I would pick up the Bobby Hull shooting DVD as it has a lot of great information, slow motion shots from plenty of angles, basically everything you need to work on your shot. Don't take everything they say for 100% gospel, but obviously Brett Hull is one of the greatest all time shooters in hockey, so it's great to learn from his technique.

For the stick itself, I would recommend getting a two-piece model because you can experiment with different curves. I would start with a PM9/Zetterberg variant. Something like a Warrior Dolomite two-piece would be a solid rig.

I think you can find easton se16s for around that price. I would go with a 75 flex and possibly a sakic or heatley curve. The iginla is just too short imo. The easton grip is pretty good too, a nice textured rubberized grip coat. The se16 is a top of the line stick for a good price so i would try for one of those, or even a dolomite like the others said. The new bauer line is good, but they seem to feel pretty unbalanced until you reach the one100 or TO. The z-berg is a good curve, but I believe that its better to have a curve that can help you than to hold you back. If you look at the pros, most have either a drury or sakic like curve. They like to use a curve that gets the job done the easiest.

I personally use a pm9 or a heatley curve, which I find fit my playing style well. For beginners I think a slightly deeper curve with a open face will help them learn how to cup the puck and release it properly.

at 5'9", i would think 75 flex would be enough. cut down two inches you'll get roughly 85flex, which is a good starting point for just about anyone, you can figure out from there what flex you prefer. I know plenty of big guys with whippy sticks, and small guys with stiff sticks (my linemate is 160lbs and uses 112flex cut).

as for curve, I strongly recommend a closed mid curve, ie a P88 Kane, CCM thornton, RBK Hedman, Easton Iginla, Warrior Kovalchuk. Second I would recommend would be a Zetterberg clone, ie PM9 Stamkos, RBK Duchene, Warrior Savard.

Both very common and easy to use curves, i'd suggest the zetterberg more over kane if you like to play on your backhand a lot.

as an aside, NHL players like the drury heel curves because they have a huge sweet spot for shooting and passing, but they are an absolute beast to puck handle with, and are very difficult for beginners to use (wonder why low end sticks don't often come in drury curves?). Toe curves, well, we know why we all love our toe curves ;)

i forgot to recommend sticks. I'm a fan of the sher-wood t90 for budget sticks, you'd be looking at a bouchard curve or a LS88, IG12.

Just a couple quick points,

I'd have to cut about 6" off a 75 senior stick to get it to length, which usually puts it in the 95-100 flex range. Way too stiff. Unless I want the stick as tall as I am.

And I'd really wonder what would happen if I started using the Drury when I picked up hockey again as an adult rather than five years later. The loft and lie forces you to cup the puck which allows you to load up the stick quicker and easier for harder shots. Plus the flatter blade makes for easier passing and backhanders.

I think your selection will fit you well...

I am a bit taller than you (6'0), but in your same general weight category (I am 260lbs)... When I first started playing again after taking 10 years off I went with 85-flex sticks. I found my form fairly fast and gradually moved up to 100-flex and 110-flex sticks. Now there is not a stick stiff enough for me!!!

I also started off with fairly short sticks. I started off with 59-inch and then tried a 61-inch (uncut Easton) then 63-inch (legal NHL limit) and now am in the 64 inch length... That is very long for a player of my height, but it is what I prefer... I am adding 5-6 inch extensions in my Warrior sticks. Therefore adding that much length to a 100-flex stick is taking me back down to the 90~ flex fairly quick!!!

Now I am not saying that you should use an extra-long/super stiff stick, but I am just saying that things will change fast when you are just starting to play again. You have to experiment with nearly everything in sticks to get it right... Pattern, lie, flex, length, grip. I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in every category...

I think your selection will fit you well...

I am a bit taller than you (6'0), but in your same general weight category (I am 260lbs)... When I first started playing again after taking 10 years off I went with 85-flex sticks. I found my form fairly fast and gradually moved up to 100-flex and 110-flex sticks. Now there is not a stick stiff enough for me!!!

I also started off with fairly short sticks. I started off with 59-inch and then tried a 61-inch (uncut Easton) then 63-inch (legal NHL limit) and now am in the 64 inch length... That is very long for a player of my height, but it is what I prefer... I am adding 5-6 inch extensions in my Warrior sticks. Therefore adding that much length to a 100-flex stick is taking me back down to the 90~ flex fairly quick!!!

Now I am not saying that you should use an extra-long/super stiff stick, but I am just saying that things will change fast when you are just starting to play again. You have to experiment with nearly everything in sticks to get it right... Pattern, lie, flex, length, grip. I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other in every category...

Agreed! I'm going to experiment a bit :) I'd like to try a potentially "too-whippy" stick, just to really understand the difference. Right now it feels like there is ZERO flex in my stick. I've even considered going to an uncut INT stick (which is the same length for me as a cut SR stick), at about a 75 flex. May not be idea for me, but I'd like to experiment and have something that I can really feel the difference with, so I know both ends of the spectrum.

Maybe even consider a nice shaft and blade combo. It's an easy way to experiment with curve and lie without breaking the bank.

Will definitely consider that... I'll have to do some research about how to combine the two ;)

I think I'm going to go with: Bauer Supreme ONE80 Griptac Senior Hockey Stick - 2010 - PM9 77 flex

But... I'm going to wait until I hit up Hockeymonkey on Friday to see what they have in stock. I can't imagine them NOT having that stick, so I'll get to take a closer look.

I am of similar height and build and also took 20 years off. Been back 9 mos and went through a few sticks. First stick was a CCM Octo20 85 flex with Tavares curve. Liked the curve but the stick had little "pop" in it. Moved up to a Warrior Swizzle 85 Savard which had more "pop". Beat the heck out of that and got a CCM U+ 75 Tavares which had plenty of pop, but the blad gave out after 4 mos and had fraying at the tip. Bought an Easton S15 Zetterberg 85 and that stick is pretty good, but after a while I wanted to move up. It is all about the gear you know. :) Picked up a Pro Stock at the Islanders sale Jack Hillen's Easton SE16. Don't know flex but had a curve that was very similar to the Zetterberg. I feel that the stick is too stiff for me at the moment. I think I need to have better control on my skates for that stick. I picked up a Bauer One95 77 flex PM9 stick a couple of weeks ago and I love that one. Its cut to about an 87 flex, but the stick had plenty of "pop", I could shoot it both low and high, make saucer passes and controlled backhanders. I hope this helps.