Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Mission he950

Hey my friend (iginlasabeast12) just got the new heliums, I tried them on and the difference in weight between my skates is amazing......skate is really padded too...I get to skate them on Friday....Ill let you know how they are then unless my firend comes on and talks about them....any questions about them LMK....

My 950s came today. Cant wait to wear them tonight. Most incredible slipper i've put my foot in. My 750's are coming in about a week, so i'll compare them to the 950's after a few skates.

anyone know what the weight difference is after you put on regular 608 bearings and wheels (ie..swiss and a labeda or similar..or even a Halo)...and how the Mg frame stacks up weight wise to the Alloy? this is right up your alley MDE3!!

the weight thing swings back and forth..just a couple months ago people were not caring about something like a Red Star Alloy but now are gaga over the 950's...

a sweet skate regardless...

the Red Star Alloy is made up of at least 4 different materials...it was designed by the guy at Specialized who created Mario Cipolinni's World Championship rig that year ..it is like their SWorks M4/S4 type of frame.

Somebody from Red Star told me that the Alloy "is magnesium" - perhaps magnesium is the primary material? My Vapor 10 boot with Alloy frame is very marginally lighter than my 2003 D1 boot with D1 frame - even without wheels. I've always been one to spend money on equipment, but I've got to say that the Alloy probably isn't worth the cash. Is a 2% total reduction in skate weight worth $150?

I'd guess that the Mission frame is lighter than the Alloy, primarily because it looks to be much more minimalist. Engineer a frame that uses a material of similar weight, but requires less of that material, and you're going to end up with a lighter product.

I would buy a pair for sure, but i think theyre the ugliest skates I have ever seem. ;) But thats just IMO.

I love skates with white on them, so they're right up my alley. I loved my old Micron Air 90's....

anyone know what the weight difference is after you put on regular 608 bearings and wheels (ie..swiss and a labeda or similar..or even a Halo)...and how the Mg frame stacks up weight wise to the Alloy? this is right up your alley MDE3!!

the weight thing swings back and forth..just a couple months ago people were not caring about something like a Red Star Alloy but now are gaga over the 950's...

:D ...I decline...without having the actual metal "cc's" it would be impossoble to give any kind of meaningfull comparison....Once so much weight has been removed from the boot, it remains to be seen whether the skate remains durable, as well as whether it is made with "non absorbant" liners...which will determine if the skate will retain it's weight advantage after 20 minutes of hard use.

Actually the lightest frames made a few years ago were with a titanium alloy, but they seemed to have some durabilty problems...I am sure they will resurface one day though. The first magnesium alloy frames I saw were actually mounted on CCM 970 skates....I have an unused pair which nobody seems to want...guess because it says CCM on it lol. Very low profile chassis, with a one piece axle system....We mounted Labeda chasis on those boots, so I guess we didn't want to try them either.

I actually had a pair of Mg12 frames by good ol Rollerblade way back in '96 I think..i remember them having a pair on a scale at the NARCh Finals at the Odeum that year..

i guess my main question is if the weight savings between a 950 and 750 is primarily a mini plus the lightest wheel out there at the moment and a Mg chassis...once you switch to a 608 bearing and normal wheel are we talking about 2oz?

the color scheme doesn't work for me..but then i don't think i'm really Mission's demographic in the roller world..

:D ...I decline...without having the actual metal "cc's" it would be impossoble to give any kind of meaningfull comparison....Once so much weight has been removed from the boot, it remains to be seen whether the skate remains durable, as well as whether it is made with "non absorbant" liners...which will determine if the skate will retain it's weight advantage after 20 minutes of hard use.

Actually the lightest frames made a few years ago were with a titanium alloy, but they seemed to have some durabilty problems...I am sure they will resurface one day though. The first magnesium alloy frames I saw were actually mounted on CCM 970 skates....I have an unused pair which nobody seems to want...guess because it says CCM on it lol. Very low profile chassis, with a one piece axle system....We mounted Labeda chasis on those boots, so I guess we didn't want to try them either.

you still have the ccm if so what size lol

Two comments on the overall weight issues with skates and chassis.

First off, i could have sworn that the lightest chassis in recent history, if not ever, was the mission Team Composite chassis off of the Wicked Lights. All carbon fiber, stiff as nails, absolutely phenominal, but huge durability issues. I cracked two of them within a year. It just wasn't cost effective having to replace the chassis that often. They were fantastic though......

Second, when you guys compare grams and half pounds etc, keep this in mind. The general rule of thumb is that for each pound of weight on your foot, it's the equivalent of carrying and extra four pounds on your back. So when we're talking about the difference in 0.3 or 0.4 pounds per skate, your talking about a maximum of about 3 lbs of weight if you were carrying it on your shoulders. When you're out moving around and skating, 3 lbs is a minimal amount of weight.....just something to keep in mind before you let those weight measurements determine all of your purchase decisions.

First off, i could have sworn that the lightest chassis in recent history, if not ever, was the mission Team Composite chassis off of the Wicked Lights.  All carbon fiber, stiff as nails, absolutely phenominal, but huge durability issues.  I cracked two of them within a year.  It just wasn't cost effective having to replace the chassis that often.  They were fantastic though......

Speaking of Wicked Lites, the He950 is marketed as the

lightest skate ever (1150g), see

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?showtopic=5568.

But was the the Wicked Lite even lighter? I've lost the Mission pdf ads,

I'm not sure, but I remember they were lighter than that.

Yes, the carbon fiber chassis was really great. How were you able

to find replacement carbon chassis?

That leads me to another question. At that time (2000),

Red star also had a carbon chassis. Any connection with

Mission? I mean I've never seen a red star carbon chassis

except on their website, but they seem to have the same

(infamous) turquoise color axle which was then in use on

Generator 2000 and 1999 chassis.

I mean is there an exchange of technology between Red

star and Mission? Last year, mg alloy chassis from red

star, this year new chassis from Mission.

All I have to say is WOW......great skate. The 950's were sick......Im keeping my wicked lights for now though, I love em....Now only if I could find somemore :(

What are the baking instructions for the new mission skates? One of the staff at my lhs bought some 350's (or maybe it was 550's). The box said to bake them for 7 minutes, which is normal for the older mission skates. After the 7 minutes were up, the heel caved in on one of the boots while trying to put it on. When he called the mission rep, the rep said they should only be baked for 3 minutes.

Anyone else hear this or have problems? We're thinking he got a bad skate or it came from a bad batch.

3 minutes is what I have been hearing too. My friend just got his 750's to replace faulty d1's, and mission told him 3 miunutes.

I had my 950's baked for 7 minutes, like it says on the box.....I can't understand why they would have the sticker say 7 when in reality it should only be 3 minutes.

i just got my 950's and i love them - but i have a question - has anyone tried to take the bolts out?

that was the first thing i tried and the square side of the bolt was very difficult to get out - i finally got it off but it took some of the nice red paint off - i hope that's not normal for these skates

I had my 950's baked for 7 minutes, like it says on the box.....I can't understand why they would have the sticker say 7 when in reality it should only be 3 minutes.

Yea I had the same thing done with mine. Im kind of pissed about that because you think they could have put that on the box. We got a fax today outlining the instructions for the helium skates. It seems like I was a couple days too late because everything was done wrong based on the instructions. Another thing is I skated once and by wheels began to crack. I love the boots I am just really upset that Mission didn't outline this on the box. Another thing is my Factory wheels began to crack after one skate, I really pissed about that.

Is it possible that in order to meet the mass production needs that Mission took the quality of the skate down? I mean really, a lot more people are going to be buying these than oh say the wicket lites. The old school missions just seemed to be of higher quality. I hope I am dead wrong, but after the D1C fiasco, I'm hesitant to spend 400 bucks on skates that are 2nd rate.

Jason

Yea I had the same thing done with mine. Im kind of pissed about that because you think they could have put that on the box. We got a fax today outlining the instructions for the helium skates. It seems like I was a couple days too late because everything was done wrong based on the instructions. Another thing is I skated once and by wheels began to crack. I love the boots I am just really upset that Mission didn't outline this on the box. Another thing is my Factory wheels began to crack after one skate, I really pissed about that.

I PM'ed Justin about the baking situation....I'm awaiting his response.