Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Mission he950

I just contacted Mission customer service.

I was told that the box manufacturer put the wrong label (7 minutes) on the box and the new ones are going out with the new label (3 minutes). The rep I spoke to told me I can contact Hockey Giant and ask them if I can switch my skates for a new pair, but I don't think that's fair, as it wasn't their fault they were baked for the wrong time. We all just went by what the label said.

I'm not very comfortable with this situation. Now it's going to be in the back of my mind that my boot is going to break apart because of a label error, and that's not something I want to have to deal with in a tournament or league (playoffs next weekend).

So what are the issues that may result in the skates getting baked for 7 minutes? I got mine 2 weeks ago and the box said the 7 minutes on them.

Also, are others (I saw one comment on this) having issues with the wheels 'cracking'. It's like the inside of the wheel is coming apart, but the surface hasn't chunked so far.

Should I return them to the shop and turn them in for a new pair, or what could I or should I do?

So what are the issues that may result in the skates getting baked for 7 minutes? I got mine 2 weeks ago and the box said the 7 minutes on them.

Also, are others (I saw one comment on this) having issues with the wheels 'cracking'. It's like the inside of the wheel is coming apart, but the surface hasn't chunked so far.

Should I return them to the shop and turn them in for a new pair, or what could I or should I do?

Yea I'm wondering the same thing. I really thinking of taking them back because I really don't want to deal with any problems.

I called Hockey Giant last night and explained the situation. They let me come in and exchange them for a new pair, no problem.

I had these baked for 3 minutes, but they were barely warm at all so I don't know how much of a difference it made.

In any case, exchanging the skates may be a bit on the paranoid side but I didn't want to take any chances.

The wheels are made to be light, which would therefore likely lead to a compromise in durability. I think that's to be expected.

The baking issue, on the other hand, would bother me. I'd think that Mission would be happy to replace them. Baking inherently breaks down the skate somewhat - everything else equal, a skate that isn't baked will hold up better, long-term, than a skate that is baked - so it would follow that baking them for over twice as long as they should be will be detrimental.

I've always felt that the best alternative to baking is to actually purchase a pair of skates that fit your feet and break them in naturally.

Yeah, this was my first time ever having a pair of skates baked and it will probably be my last. I would rather break them in normally.

Well, I wish I knew that I would be getting lower quality wheels on my $400 top-of-the-line skates if this is the case. Quality wheels can't be too heavy, although I don't have numbers to compare. I just hope there are a few bad bunches, as I would hate to think that I have to turn around and spend $70 more on some decent wheels.

After 4 games several of the wheels on my 950s are chunking. Not very nice to be wearing brand new skates and have to deal with that. I'm going to talk to someone at the shop I bought them at regarding the wheels and the skate bake and see about getting a replacement set. Maybe I won't bake the new pair, as I have never used it before and would rather not tempt fate again.

Anyway, not to sound too negative about the skates. I love them and lots of people at my rink have been asking about them. I think that having someone actually skating on them will get more people to be interested in buying them, so it's good to feel like I'm helping out in that sense.

Anyone know the weight comparison of the 950's to PureFly's with the Red Star Alloys?? Just curious, I have a pair, but I hate them! I wore them for 10 mins in a shoot around, and they sucked; so I hoped of the rink and bought a pair of D1cc's and played the game. Those, I love! I'm actually thinking about taking the Red Star's off of the PureFlys and putting them on my old VSI's. I liked the VSI boot, but the Vibe chassis was heavy and clunky. I hate to see those Red Stars just sitting in the corner w/ dust on 'em. We'll see.

I have a pair, but I hate them! I wore them for 10 mins in a shoot around, and they sucked; so I hoped of the rink and bought a pair of D1cc's and played the game.

Maybe you should've worn them for more than 10minutes...

I called Hockey Giant last night and explained the situation. They let me come in and exchange them for a new pair, no problem.

I had these baked for 3 minutes, but they were barely warm at all so I don't know how much of a difference it made.

I haven't read Mission's PDF..but was the baking supposed to be done in a preheated over, ala the XX??

After 4 games several of the wheels on my 950s are chunking. Not very nice to be wearing brand new skates and have to deal with that. I'm going to talk to someone at the shop I bought them at regarding the wheels and the skate bake and see about getting a replacement set. Maybe I won't bake the new pair, as I have never used it before and would rather not tempt fate again.

Are you playing on Sport Court??

Bad batches happen with every company...previous versions of Factory Wheels had come out fine in my dealings with them..

that Z-Rated has been around for a while..it was originally designed by Boyd Sutton as well as the Halo (he and Shayne both actually) when he was at Hyper a take off on their FRO (For Racing Only) speed wheel that did very well in the mid to late 90's..so its not like its a new design they are using..its based on R&D from '01-02..

Not to get off topic here, but I wonder if there is a connection with baking and all the problems mission had with soles coming apart from the boot on their newer skates. (2003 and up). Just a thought. <_<

Anyone who had a set of those skates (D1's, D2'c...D1c's, D2c's..D-Limiteds) that had the soles separate from the boot....did you have your skates baked?

I called Hockey Giant last night and explained the situation.  They let me come in and exchange them for a new pair, no problem.

I haven't read Mission's PDF..but was the baking supposed to be done in a preheated over, ala the XX??

It doesn't say anything about pre-heating here -

http://2004.missionhockey.com/MISSIONHOCKE...nstructions.pdf

Are you playing on Sport Court??

Bad batches happen with every company...previous versions of Factory Wheels had come out fine in my dealings with them..

that Z-Rated has been around for a while..it was originally designed by Boyd Sutton as well as the Halo (he and Shayne both actually) when he was at Hyper a take off on their FRO (For Racing Only) speed wheel that did very well in the mid to late 90's..so its not like its a new design they are using..its based on R&D from '01-02..

I'm playing on ice court, which is similar to sport court. It's good to hear that it sounds like just some bad wheels. I didn't know if these wheels were new or whatnot, as I haven't bought a pair of Missions in like 5 years.

I have a pair, but I hate them!  I wore them for 10 mins in a shoot around, and they sucked; so I hoped of the rink and bought a pair of D1cc's and played the game.

Maybe you should've worn them for more than 10minutes...

...there was no point, you could tell after 10 mins they were awful. d1cc's were definitely better....you tell right away

Not to get off topic here, but I wonder if there is a connection with baking and all the problems mission had with soles coming apart from the boot on their newer skates.  (2003 and up).  Just a thought.  <_<

Anyone who had a set of those skates (D1's, D2'c...D1c's, D2c's..D-Limiteds) that had the soles separate from the boot....did you have your skates baked?

I had a pair of D1's that seperated (the plastic started flaking under the toe cap) that mission replaced for me with D1c's.. the D1's were baked, I didn't do that with the D1c's and they're holding up better.

Not really a fair comparison though because I'm sure mission knew about the problems with the D1's and fixed it with the D1c's for the most part.

edit: Come to think of it, the integrity of the sole of the skate was compromised by something because the boot would fold when any pressure was applied to the chassis. That could've been from wear of my fat ass (245) on the skate, but maybe the baking contributes to it.

"I'm playing on ice court, which is similar to sport court."

Ice court is notorious for tearing up wheels.....not at all the same as sport court in terms of wheels wear.

As far as baking for 3 minutes....I have heard from a good friend of mine who runs a pro shop, that many of the newer "lightweight skates"(both ice and inline) were not really designed for heat molding, but that the manufacturers, having persuaded all these shops to invest in the molding ovens, does not want to admit they are not supplying heat moldable skates any more. This because much of the heat moldable material has been removed to save weight.

I thought the "traditional" heat molding used to be 170 degrees preheated, and 12 - 15 minutes then with the oven turned off once the preheat has been established. Heating for 3 minutes may simply be a length of time that could not do any damage to a skate that really wasn't intended to be preheated in the first place.....I am sure I will be corrected however.

The bond between the outsole and the boot has been a problem for all manufacturers at times, and getting the right adhesive, as well as enough surface bonding area, is a problem when you try to cut out as much material as possible...Over heating the boot (a relative term) could certainly present problems to any heat susceptible bonding materials.

Regarding the ice court, would people then say it is a mistake for anyone in my town to buy these Mission skates with these wheels, as 'regular' wheels (not even top of the line ones) don't have this problem. More anecdotal stuff, my last pair of Missions were from 99, the team VSIs. I skates in these for several years and only had to change the wheels once from the 'stock' wheels.

I'm going to talk to the shop, now that maybe more people are interested int he skates, to see what they have seen or heard. I'm sure that they don't want to be surprised when 20 people come back complaining that the wheels on their new skates are destroyed after 4 or 6 games.

Maybe Mission could sell the skates without the wheels and let the buyer get their own wheels if there is going to be a durability problem with the stock ones. Cut $50 off the price and I'll spend %70 on some other wheels.

If you buy a skate, you should know what kind of wheels you are getting. For me this is a deciding factor when buying off the shelf skates. Its not as important as fit, comfort, lightness of the boot/frame combo but its up there. Why spend additional money on wheels when you can sell them right off the skates instead of using them or maybe even swap out when you buy them.

I just bought 750's, cant wait to get them.

Regarding the ice court, would people then say it is a mistake for anyone in my town to buy these Mission skates with these wheels, as 'regular' wheels (not even top of the line ones) don't have this problem. More anecdotal stuff, my last pair of Missions were from 99, the team VSIs. I skates in these for several years and only had to change the wheels once from the 'stock' wheels.

I'm going to talk to the shop, now that maybe more people are interested int he skates, to see what they have seen or heard. I'm sure that they don't want to be surprised when 20 people come back complaining that the wheels on their new skates are destroyed after 4 or 6 games.

Maybe Mission could sell the skates without the wheels and let the buyer get their own wheels if there is going to be a durability problem with the stock ones. Cut $50 off the price and I'll spend %70 on some other wheels.

The "top of the line" skates typically are equipped with "high performance" wheels, which often means grippier and in many cases that is also softer. The small holes in ice court for water to bleed through in order that it can be used on floodable surfaces, have a cheeze grater effect on the wheels. Hence grippier, softer wheels are more subject to tearing stresses which will show up as wheels ravelling and small chunks tearing out of the surface. If however your wheels are truly "chunking" out meaning that larger sections of the wheels are delaminating and falling out in big pieces, this may in fact be related to a flaw in the pour....it can happen to every manufacturer at some time or other.

The middle of the road skates, as well as skates sold a few years ago would have been more likely to be equipped with a "middle of the road" wheel, meaning the wheel had a harder durometer and probably less grip, but would survive better on a variety of different surfaces..without as much grip perhaps, but at least somewhat durable.

I know no wheel manufacturer would admit this, but sometimes I wonder if some of the wheels supplied to OEM skate makers are not factory "seconds" of high end wheels, to help keep down the cost of the skates, and help dispose of unwanted inventory. In these days of high performance wheels that also have extreme grip and durability like Rink Rats's and now possibly the Labeda Dynasty Pro's, the general public has become far less tolerant of lower performance wheels and wheels that do not last. Players have become much more "wheel knowledgable" in the last couple of years, and are coming to expect both performance as well as longevity.

If this in fact happening it could certainly backfire on the skate manufacturer as well as the wheel manufacturer.

Cannot speak for everybody but I can confirm that the strictest of all quality control guidelines goes into every OEM wheel equipped on skates. As a wheel manufacturer you would never want to hear from your skate customer that a $300 or $400 skate was returned due to (1) wheel. Wheel companies generaly use their relationships with skate manufactures as marketing opportunities for their product so putting a second or 1st quality inferior wheel makes no sense.

If you generally have a Labeda wheel that came equipped on a skate prematurely fail and the wheel was skated on appropriate surfaces, that would be a defective wheel that slipped through and would be warrantied!

I thought that there was like a ranking of wheels. I remember a post with this included.

top was Stock wheels, second was retail wheels and third was blems.

I just bought 750's, cant wait to get them.

I got mine the other day. Im about to sell my 950's, because i'll be using the 750's over them. If i would have known that the 750's were this good, i wouldnt have pre-ordered the 950's.

If you generally have a Labeda wheel that came equipped on a skate prematurely fail and the wheel was skated on appropriate surfaces, that would be a defective wheel that slipped through and would be warrantied!

That happened with my wheels on the my d2c's after one skate on sportcourt. A couple of wheels on both skates were almost completely seperated from the hub. Called labeda, and the guy(im not going to name drop) told me that 2 replacement wheels would be sent to me. Almost 6months later, those wheels have not shown up. Now thats going to factor in when im in the market for new wheels...

I thought that there was like a ranking of wheels. I remember a post with this included.

top was Stock wheels, second was retail wheels and third was blems.

thats what multiple reps have told us. Best wheels for skates, second best for retail, and blems are blems.