Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crosby66

Reebok Equivalents

Could someone tell me the reebok equivalent to a bauer kane and a easton iginla? Also has anyone used the datsyuk curve?

I think the p40 is close to the kane and the p87 is close to the iginla but just a little longer.

The datsuk is the equivalent. Maybe a touch longer than the iginla.

Not equivalent, but similar

A while ago I used a friend's Rbk stick a few times, and it had the retail Datsyuk curve. Looking from the top down (the standard angle that people snap pics of curves from), the curve depth/position/general shape was virtually identical to a Sakic, similar blade length to a Sakic too, but less open. The angle of the face was similar to an Iginla/Kane, fairly closed, but the shape/position of the curve was very much Sakic, the deepest part of the curve was more towards the toe than an Iggy or Kane. Fairly flat on the bottom (both near the heel and toe), square toe.

I'm curious if they've changed the lie on this curve recently though. Rbk, this site, pretty much everyone lists the Datsyuk listed as a 6 lie, so you would expect it to be a slightly higher lie than an Iginla or a Sakic (both listed as 5.5), but with the stick I used the opposite was true, the lie was clearly significantly lower than a Sakic/Iggy, I'd say it was roughly a 5 lie on the Easton scale, similar to a Zetterberg, if anything maybe even the tiniest bit lower lie than a Zetterberg, like a 4.75 lie on the Easton scale if that existed. This is both from how it felt on the ice, and comparing it side by side with my Iginla with the shafts in line with one another. I don't know if they've recently changed the lie, or if Rbk just measures lie very differently from Easton?

I actually loved the curve, my ideal curves are decently deep mid curves with a lie roughly equal to an Easton lie 5, the Datsyuk I used fit the bill perfectly, but have they changed it?

A while ago I used a friend's Rbk stick a few times, and it had the retail Datsyuk curve. Looking from the top down (the standard angle that people snap pics of curves from), the curve depth/position/general shape was virtually identical to a Sakic, similar blade length to a Sakic too, but less open. The angle of the face was similar to an Iginla/Kane, fairly closed, but the shape/position of the curve was very much Sakic, the deepest part of the curve was more towards the toe than an Iggy or Kane. Fairly flat on the bottom (both near the heel and toe), square toe.

I'm curious if they've changed the lie on this curve recently though. Rbk, this site, pretty much everyone lists the Datsyuk listed as a 6 lie, so you would expect it to be a slightly higher lie than an Iginla or a Sakic (both listed as 5.5), but with the stick I used the opposite was true, the lie was clearly significantly lower than a Sakic/Iggy, I'd say it was roughly a 5 lie on the Easton scale, similar to a Zetterberg, if anything maybe even the tiniest bit lower lie than a Zetterberg, like a 4.75 lie on the Easton scale if that existed. This is both from how it felt on the ice, and comparing it side by side with my Iginla with the shafts in line with one another. I don't know if they've recently changed the lie, or if Rbk just measures lie very differently from Easton?

I actually loved the curve, my ideal curves are decently deep mid curves with a lie roughly equal to an Easton lie 5, the Datsyuk I used fit the bill perfectly, but have they changed it?

CCM measures lie differently, most of the blades are close to a full number lower than they use. At least when compared to an Easton blade. We use the Easton system as a basis for our numbers here.

CCM measures lie differently, most of the blades are close to a full number lower than they use. At least when compared to an Easton blade. We use the Easton system as a basis for our numbers here.

Good to know, thanks! So if the new Datsyuk's are unchanged from the older ones, and still roughly equivalent to an Easton 5 lie, should MSH's "pattern db" entry for the Datsyuk be updated then? In the pattern db it's listed as a 6 lie, which is what Rbk lists it as, but if it's close to an Easton 5 lie, maybe that would be a more helpful listing?

Good to know, thanks! So if the new Datsyuk's are unchanged from the older ones, and still roughly equivalent to an Easton 5 lie, should MSH's "pattern db" entry for the Datsyuk be updated then? In the pattern db it's listed as a 6 lie, which is what Rbk lists it as, but if it's close to an Easton 5 lie, maybe that would be a more helpful listing?

There will be a major update after summer jam

There will be a major update after summer jam

Sweet, you guys do an awesome job, appreciate the work you put in for sure!

Going by what you said about CCM sticks (and I'm guessing also Rbk sticks, since they're the same company) tending to be about 1 lie lower than listed in terms of how Bauer/Easton measure lies, that seems like a marketing mistake to me. Bauer and Easton dominate the stick market, when people think "6 lie" they think "Bauer/Easton 6 lie," I'd think quite a few people are turned off of using CCM/Rbk sticks because the curves are all listed with fairly high lies, even if they're actually equivalent to lower lie Bauer/Easton curves.

the hedman curve on the new line of reebok sticks (ie 11ks) is meant to be a p88 clone. it's new and really the closest retail clone out there. the 10k or the 808 won't have this curve.

so datsyuk retail is lie 5? i'm hoping its more like 5.5. :( which one is true? once i followed the pattern db, spezza was listed as 5.5 when i compared it to sakic, its more like 5. so confusing!

so datsyuk retail is lie 5? i'm hoping its more like 5.5. :( which one is true? once i followed the pattern db, spezza was listed as 5.5 when i compared it to sakic, its more like 5. so confusing!

As in 5.5 on the Easton scale? The one I used (on an older 4K) was definitely a significantly lower lie than my Easton Iginla, which is listed as a lie 5.5, and IMO even a hair lower lie than an Easton Zetterberg, which is listed as a 5 lie. Definitely not what you'd expect given that Rbk list the Datsyuk as a 6 lie, but obviously they measure lie differently. Maybe they've tweaked the lie on the Datsyuk curve recently, but the one I used would have been a 4.75 - 5 lie compared to Easton curves. Check it out for yourself in a store though, just hold a stick that you know has the right lie for you side by side with a stick that has the Datsyuk curve, with the shafts in line, and you should be able to see pretty easily whether it's got a higher or lower lie than you'd like. Whenever I buy a stick with a new curve I always make sure to compare its lie to a lie that I know works for me, you can't go off the listed lie since each company measures lie differently.

How did the Datsyuk compare to the Kane in terms of actual play? I know the Kane has quite a rocker and I believe the Datsyuk is fairly flat.

How did the Datsyuk compare to the Kane in terms of actual play? I know the Kane has quite a rocker and I believe the Datsyuk is fairly flat.

Yeah, pretty flat along the bottom, more like the Iggy than the Kane in that regard, and it's got a square toe too. Slightly lower lie than the Kane IMO (and significantly lower than the Iggy), and I'd say the deepest part of the curve is further towards the toe on the Datsyuk than on the Kane or Iggy. The curve position/shape on the Datsyuk is IMO very similar to the Sakic, but not open like the Sakic, the "openness" is more like the Kane/Iggy, pretty closed.

Again, this is all assuming the curve has not changed at all from the older 4K I used (I don't think it has, but you never know, sometimes manufacturers tweak curves over time). I really liked the curve in the little time I used it, will probably pick up a stick with a Datsyuk curve when one of my two current sticks break, I wish more manufacturers offered a curve like this, there's nothing quite like it in the Bauer or Easton lines IMO.

Had both curves laying around.... Left is a Bauer X40 Kane curve and the right one is a TCC Honor with a bravo curve which is the Datsyuk... The Datsyuk curve is a little bit longer and is square not round like the Kane.

2v274g2.jpg

ws69gk.jpg

Yeah, pretty flat along the bottom, more like the Iggy than the Kane in that regard, and it's got a square toe too. Slightly lower lie than the Kane IMO (and significantly lower than the Iggy), and I'd say the deepest part of the curve is further towards the toe on the Datsyuk than on the Kane or Iggy. The curve position/shape on the Datsyuk is IMO very similar to the Sakic, but not open like the Sakic, the "openness" is more like the Kane/Iggy, pretty closed.

Again, this is all assuming the curve has not changed at all from the older 4K I used (I don't think it has, but you never know, sometimes manufacturers tweak curves over time). I really liked the curve in the little time I used it, will probably pick up a stick with a Datsyuk curve when one of my two current sticks break, I wish more manufacturers offered a curve like this, there's nothing quite like it in the Bauer or Easton lines IMO.

Have you tried the Recchi/Tavares as well? I wonder how that compares to the Datsyuk and Kane. We should probably have a mid curve thread, the toe curve one was quite popular and informative.

Auditory, thanks for the picture. The Kane almost seems heel-ish from there, but from what I read that's how it used to be back in the day.

I just made the transition from the Kane (APX p88) to the Datsyuk for the very same reason. The excess rocker on the p88 did two things I didn't like, (1) it made it harder to pull off toe drags from outside or from behind through and in front of my legs, and (2) I felt like sometimes when the puck was behind me I had a hard time picking it up because the rocker gave me too little blade on the ice. The Datsyuk actually was better than I expected, because it's almost exactly the same curve as the p88 (a little less depth to the curve), and the bottom part of the toe is extended maybe a half inch (it's oblong instead of square or round) and this helped immensely with drags. I just had an open skate and 1 game and my impression was that I really like the curve and will stick with it. I felt less flutter on the puck on wristers, and overall I had much more stick actually on the ice. It plays like a 5 lie...something I was looking for. One added bonus, it was much better than the p88 when the puck is rolling hard around the boards. It's a little bigger, a little flatter, and has a bigger toe. It's not a totally different blade, but definitely different enough for me to make the switch..

Have you tried the Recchi/Tavares as well? I wonder how that compares to the Datsyuk and Kane. We should probably have a mid curve thread, the toe curve one was quite popular and informative.

Auditory, thanks for the picture. The Kane almost seems heel-ish from there, but from what I read that's how it used to be back in the day.

I just switched from the Bauer p88 to the Reebok Datsyuk. The Tavares curve from CCM was almost identical, I nearly bought that one, but the Reebok shaft was lighter, so I went with that one..