Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Equipment sale discussion

Hi, I am new here, located in Portland, Maine. Just wondering about some pro equipment sales in my area. Do Portland Pirates or Black Bears, University of Maine have they equipment sold annualy ? Or I am late and these sales have already happend ?

Arrived to U.S. to purchase hockey equipment from Slovakia (Trencin), besides do some summer work.

Sorry for my english and bothering question.

I realized there is another thread for disscusion, my apology for posting it here. Can´t erase on my own.

For the second year in a row, we'll be holding the Boston Bruins Equipment Sale at a Pure Hockey location. This year it will be held on Saturday, October 13, 2012 at our Medford, MA store location, right in the heart of Medford Square at 70 Salem St. The sale will start at 9am and go as long as there's equipment. Last year it went pretty fast. This location is nicely situated right off of Route 93 and easy to find. You'll be able to park at City Hall, right across the street, so parking is plentiful. We'll have a great assortment of practice jerseys, training camp jerseys (with player names on the back), sticks, skates, helmets, protective, goalie, socks....the whole nine yards. Come visit!

Here's the equipment list for the Bruins Equipment Sale. October 13 @ 9am at Pure Hockey, Medford, MA

- Black Helmets (16)

- White Helmets (12)

- Gloves (92)

- Socks, Yellow and White (550 pair)

- Skates (27 pair)

- Hockey Pants (14)

- Shoulder Pads (33)

- Elbow Pads (5)

- Goalie Leg Pads (2 pair)

- Goalie Blockers (4)

- Goalie Gloves (2)

- Goalie Pants (9)

- Hockey Sticks (82)

- Colored Team Practice Jerseys (33)

- White Training Camp Jerseys (59, all with names)

- Black Training Camp Jerseys (58 total, 57 with names)

No black third socks?

Nope, none... Just yellow and white and a ton of them. Strangely enough, I picked up a pair of white Pens socks! Funny moment at the sale. Towards the tail end of it, these two mature ladies were hovering over the hockey socks bin and a store assistant was shoveling through the socks helping someone to locate an L size. He pulls a pair of XL+ socks and went, "Here are Chara's socks!", dangling them in the air. One of the mature ladies exclaims in delight, "Oh, Chara socks! I'll have them!" and just snatches them up. She actually bought them too... No certificate of authenticity, I bet, for those...

Nope, none... Just yellow and white and a ton of them.

Makes sense though; when I worked with Tampa Bay we never put the 3rds out because they weren't worn enough to be as beat up as the whites (which we always had a ton of) and the darks.

<<I heard the the first few in brought the laundry bags and started shoveling.>>

It's true! The first person got there at 7:30 LAST NIGHT and spent the night on the sidewalk, according to reports. And yes, a few people had big laundry bags full. Looks like the top spender dropped $5100K on Bruins gear. Pretty nuts! Either way, it's for a good cause - the Boston Bruins Foundation Charity.

As a retailer you'd be happy to just to sell it and get your cash flow going. As a fellow consumer though, you really start to resent those kinds of people. But hey, they're trying to make a living too.

<<I heard the the first few in brought the laundry bags and started shoveling.>>

It's true! The first person got there at 7:30 LAST NIGHT and spent the night on the sidewalk, according to reports. And yes, a few people had big laundry bags full. Looks like the top spender dropped $5100K on Bruins gear. Pretty nuts! Either way, it's for a good cause - the Boston Bruins Foundation Charity.

That's absurd, I can't believe you allow people to do that.

For the record, there is absolutely no profit or cash flow in the Bruins sale for us. We house the gear for them, run it through our registers and then send a check straight to the Boston Bruins Foundation (a charity). It's part of a larger relationship we have with the team. We do see very limited add-on sales for our retail stuff during the equipment sale, but as you might imagine, the purchasers of this Bruins equipment (lots are collectors) don't necessarily cross over as a core customer - hockey players.

Guys buying bags full of stuff generally aren't collectors, they're just going to put it on eBay after they double or triple the price.

For the record, there is absolutely no profit or cash flow in the Bruins sale for us. We house the gear for them, run it through our registers and then send a check straight to the Boston Bruins Foundation (a charity). It's part of a larger relationship we have with the team. We do see very limited add-on sales for our retail stuff during the equipment sale, but as you might imagine, the purchasers of this Bruins equipment (lots are collectors) don't necessarily cross over as a core customer - hockey players.

I was speaking on general terms, however. Your desire as a retailer is to maximize the revenue you take in from this sale to send to the charity would be my point in your case and it's not as important who or how many provide those revenues for the stock. It's great that your store took that initiative in any case, as it would be going to charity.

At the end of the day, the seller can't do anything about it. There's no guarantee that the person who is buying the stuff at equipment sales is going to hold on to it forever, however, you do not want anything left behind when it's over. When I conducted sales for Tampa Bay, I realized that, as much as it sucked, that those resellers then became my competition (even though Pure Hockey is in a different situation here because as they said, they don't profit from it.)

You just can't forecast sales; plain and simple. If you start putting a limit on what can be bought, the bigger the chance you're stuck with stock at the end of the sale. At this point it has to be expected that equipment sales are going to be a madhouse; the only thing you can do is control how many people are in the store at one particular moment.

At the end of the day, the seller can't do anything about it. There's no guarantee that the person who is buying the stuff at equipment sales is going to hold on to it forever, however, you do not want anything left behind when it's over. When I conducted sales for Tampa Bay, I realized that, as much as it sucked, that those resellers then became my competition (even though Pure Hockey is in a different situation here because as they said, they don't profit from it.)

You just can't forecast sales; plain and simple. If you start putting a limit on what can be bought, the bigger the chance you're stuck with stock at the end of the sale. At this point it has to be expected that equipment sales are going to be a madhouse; the only thing you can do is control how many people are in the store at one particular moment.

That's a great point JR. As an aside (just thinking aloud here), I would imagine that the reason supermarkets for example, impose a limit on the amount of a sale item allowed to be bought is that they want the opposite of what an equipment sale might want; to maximize not revenue from the sale item, or to get rid of it necessarily, but to maximize the number of people they get in the store to also purchase other items. The more stock lef tfor the rest of the people, the more people will come in.

Not necessarily. While your point is correct, it doesn't apply to this scenario as those items are readily available, just as a discount.

Now, a doorbuster on Black Friday/Boxing Day is a better analogy; nowadays the retailers space them out; they offer the big TV at 6am, the computer at 7am, (and a lot of the items are SMUs just for the holiday season) and on and on. They are able to control the crowd and get them to come in at the times they want them to; they come for one item and then shop afterwards.

So if you have an overwhelming amount of people willing to buy this stuff, why not just raise the price to just under market value in order to reduce the amount of re-sellers? It's not hard to gauge the value on all the stuff. It's just when you have 1 guy buying $5,000 worth of stuff you could argue your prices are a tad low.

That's absurd, I can't believe you allow people to do that.

I actually witnessed that too... Kind of insane! I particularly noticed three guys that when they walked out of the store you could barely see them behind all the plastic bags full of gear that they were carrying. As a consumer, I felt disgusted, indeed. Although, I got what I really wanted: just a pair of fairly decent (no burn marks, no hole or stitching) Pens socks (surpirse!) and a pair of Chris Kelly's Bauer X:60 gloves in very good condition. I could see frustration on some people faces who got absolutely nothing, maybe a practice jersey and a pair of socks.

I wish, these type of sales put a limit on how much you can buy at a time, say, 3-4 items....

Once again, there's no way to forecast any of it. What if that guy has deep pockets and doesn't care what the prices are?

The year we did the Black Friday sale, we had a 10 minute time limit.

So if you have an overwhelming amount of people willing to buy this stuff, why not just raise the price to just under market value in order to reduce the amount of re-sellers? It's not hard to gauge the value on all the stuff. It's just when you have 1 guy buying $5,000 worth of stuff you could argue your prices are a tad low.

Who determines the market price though? There are two markets, collectible and user...you won't get users buying at collectible prices and spare the superstars, the rest of the stuff isn't collectible material. It's too much work, they're going to want coas for gloves and whatnot.

I had two different pricing structures, one for the sales, one for inquiries. Sales are easy to get the product gone, dealing with phone calls and emails is much more work.